Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is missing

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

tsv

Re: Malaysia Airlines says it has lost contact with flight M

Post by tsv »

Flanker2 wrote:The Australian pic doesn't look like anything from a B777 or an airplane at all.
I think that too many false leads are being propagated, I think that their source should be investigated, as they are hampering the SAR efforts.
Yeah they should forget about looking where they think the Aircraft is and get you to lead them straight to it :roll:

Flanker2 wrote: IMO they most probably landed in one of the deserts in China.
After all, that's your best combination of no cell phone coverage, discretion, easy to camouflage using sheets and plenty of landing area.
Using Sheets now to camouflage the Plane! What happened to your previous theory of just throwing sand over it to make it disappear?

Apart from that the Aircraft would have to go through plenty of airspace well covered by Radar to get anywhere near the Chinese Deserts. The Gobi is relatively Populated for a Desert so it definitely won't be in there - the Taklamakan less so but there are still some people living in and around the Desert and there are some transport routes through it. Anyone in the area would be highly likely to notice a 777 rocking up on their Doorstep. After all it would be possible to clearly hear it during the last 100km or so it traveled on approach if they were within a few kilometres of the flight path. And likewise they would be able to see it descend if it landed in daylight. And if it flew for 7 or 8 hours after departure it would have been daylight by the time it landed. In any case I doubt even you believe they could land safely in the Middle of a Desert full of Sand Dunes in the Dark.

So all thing considered this is certainly one of the least likely places for the Aircraft to be.
Flanker2 wrote: Terrorism can be ruled out, if that was the idea, they would have targeted Singapore or Kualka Lumpur instead of ditching it in the middle of nowhere.
Before the wreckage has been found it would be foolish to rule out any causes of the crash. But I agree Pilot Suicide or Mechanical Failure are more likely.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

A nice summary of the current search in one picture (source: Reuters)

André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

It is strange that the Malaysian authorities still consider what happened as a "Flight incident". I would call it a major accident, even when ignoring what really occurred.
André
ex Sabena #26567

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

At the risk of stating the obvious:

If one of my sattelites (hypothetically speaking off course...I don't have any sattelites unfortunately :)) would have pictured debris. My next move would be to photograph the exact same location and immediate environment in greater detail to confirm the location and trajectory of the debris. They are probably doing this, but we do not read about it in the media. There might be a good reason, such as overcast cloud cover, but I would think further that sattelite imagery would be the most reliable way to pinpoint the debris location more accurately before starting to deploy aicraft that need to fly 8 hours back and forth and thereby limiting their usefull search time to two hours.

Lysexpat

Post by Lysexpat »

Repositioning of several sattelites to make high resolution pictures of the area, was reported by the media yesterday.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

I plotted the route against hourly satellite positions and if the NTSB mpas re correct, it's nearly impossible that the aircraft reached that far out South unless it operated above Mmo.

I think that the SQ68 theory can also be ruled out, due to difficulty of interception at night.

So why wasn't it seen on radar?
Simples, it went up into Bangladesh, where primary radar coverage must be of very poor quality.
Then it continued North-West along the Hymalaya, either south or North of the ridge over Nepal or Tibet.
With EGPWS onboard, it would have been a piece of cake to follow the ridges.

With coverage of the mountains, no radar could track the aircraft if it flew close to the ridge.
Then up to Xinjiang province where it landed, probably in the desert, where it's easy to camouflage the aircraft (while waiting to burry it under the sand if that's what they wanted to do).

That and the guy from Xianjing who followed sim lessons in Sweden, for me completes the story.

If they haven't found it by now, we will either hear from it in a few weeks or never again. Too much time has passed, by now the hijackers and the hostages could be anywhere and the aircraft hidden in such way as to never be found again or only in a few decades/centuries.

regi

Post by regi »

Flanker2 wrote: Simples, it went up into Bangladesh, where primary radar coverage must be of very poor quality.
why?

tsv

Post by tsv »

Chinese Satellite has now spotted an object which looks similar to the other one reported by Australia. Apparently about 123km from previous sighting.

Chances of finding this object appear to be getting better so hopefully we'll know if it is the Aircraft in the next couple of days.

RTM

Post by RTM »

What bothers me about these satelite objects, is the size...
What part of the aircraft can generate floatable material sections of 20 to 30 meters...?

Only thing I can think of, is interior lining, but these are normally build up from smaller sections. So unless they have still some structure attached to it that keeps it together (and makes it heavy/sinkable), that can't be it. But what can?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Nevihta wrote:Apparently Lithium batteries were in the cargo... (CNN)
Now confirmed by Malaysian Airlines - source The Aviation Herald:

"...On Mar 22nd 2014 Malaysia Airlines stated: "Malaysia Airlines wishes to clarify that the lithium ion batteries carried onboard MH370 on 8 March 2014 was in compliance with the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) and the International Air Transport Association (IATA) requirements where it is classified as Non Dangerous Goods..."
"...On Mar 22nd 2014 Malaysia's Transport Minister said that China, India, Pakistan, Myanmar, Laos, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan have reported according preliminary analysis of radar data there were no sightings of the aircraft on Mar 8th in their countries. A cyclone has been forecast to affect the southern corridor search area with very strong winds and rough sea. The transcript of the communication between aircraft and Malaysian ATC as well as the cargo manifest is in possession of the investigation, they are going to be released to the public in due course. The minister stated: "Preliminary investigation of the cargo manifest has not shown any link to anything that might have contributed to MH370’s disappearance"...

For the Malaysian government, this cargo load was not the cause of whatever-has-happened. But for the real investigators, there is now one more possibility to be added to the long list.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Do you read Chinese?

http://www.sastind.gov.cn/n112/n117/c30 ... ntent.html

... with a picture of debris found by a Chinese satellite.

China said on Saturday it had a new satellite image of what could be wreckage from the missing Malaysian airliner, as more planes and ships headed to join an international search operation scouring some of the remotest seas on Earth.

The latest possible lead came as the search for Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 entered its third week, with still no confirmed trace found of the Boeing 777 or the 239 people on board.

China said the object was 22 meters long and 13 meters wide, and spotted around 120 km "south by west" of potential debris reported by Australia off its west coast in southern Indian Ocean.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Malaysia receives new satellite images from French authorities showing potential objects in the vicinity of the southern corridor.

This is the third set of images in a week of possible debris in the area.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA), which is overseeing the search, said eight planes (including four civil aircraft and a US P8 Poseidon) were sent out from Perth in western Australia on Sunday over a wider search area. Two Chinese IL-76 search planes have arrived in Perth but have not yet been deployed. Japan is sending two P3 Orions.
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Is there a map (image) to see what part of that ocean the debris has been found ?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

A US General believes the plane is in Pakistan. A new theory that you might believe or not, but given the source, I wouldn't give this version too much credit.

http://counterjihadreport.com/2014/03/2 ... day-video/
André
ex Sabena #26567

letscruise

Post by letscruise »

Flanker2 wrote:I plotted the route against hourly satellite positions and if the NTSB mpas re correct, it's nearly impossible that the aircraft reached that far out South unless it operated above Mmo.
I don't wanna niggle here, but if an airliner deviates from its Max Range speed (which is +/- Min Drag speed) and flies above Mmo, its range gets much smaller.

RTM

Post by RTM »

sn26567 wrote:A US General believes the plane is in Pakistan. A new theory that you might believe or not, but given the source, I wouldn't give this version too much credit.

http://counterjihadreport.com/2014/03/2 ... day-video/
hmmm... the shadowing theorie again...

Wel, suppose it's true... Can they do that again? I mean, all world leaders are in The Hague next week, Pakistan is within striking distance for a 777. The only problem would be to get into European airspace without being detected. So if they can shadow another flight to for instance Amsterdam... Worrying...

fcw

Post by fcw »

RTM wrote:hmmm... the shadowing theorie again...
Wel, suppose it's true... Can they do that again? I mean, all world leaders are in The Hague next week, Pakistan is within striking distance for a 777. The only problem would be to get into European airspace without being detected. So if they can shadow another flight to for instance Amsterdam... Worrying...
I don't think would be able to hide for the AWACS radars.
Europe far east route is very busy, they would be spotted by opposite traffic.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

letscruise wrote:
Flanker2 wrote:I plotted the route against hourly satellite positions and if the NTSB mpas re correct, it's nearly impossible that the aircraft reached that far out South unless it operated above Mmo.
I don't wanna niggle here, but if an airliner deviates from its Max Range speed (which is +/- Min Drag speed) and flies above Mmo, its range gets much smaller.
I appreciate your comment. What I'm refering to is actually the gap between the last predicted position at around 2:30am towards the Adaman Sea and 5:11 am, one of the NTSB's Inmarsat range circles plotted to the South.
Between 2:30 am and 5:11 am, the aircraft would have travelled around 3000km or about 1200km/h.

So I think that it doesn't make sense because of that.
Also, if it flew below RVSM airspace to avoid a collision, it would make even less sense.

Has anyone following this discussion ever seen an aircraft pallet? It's very similar to a bare wood board.
So, how would one be able to name an object pictured in bad resolution satellite images, an aircraft pallet? That's beyond me.

I don't like the Australian PM's attitude. They have hope that the aircraft has crashed and that the debris they are finding might be coming from that. It's like saying he's hoping they find a crashed aircraft with little chance of survivors... what an idiot.

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

The place where they "found" the debris seems to be in the Indian Ocean Gyre, a large rotating ocean current , and it contains, guess what, a lot of garbage...