New charter airlines based in BRU

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

crew1990

New charter airlines based in BRU

Post by crew1990 »

I just saw on the website of BRU that Corendon Airlines and Smartlynx Airlines are looking for cabin crew to be based in BRU wich indicate that they will than both open a base in Brussels...

Anyone have some info about that?

More charter airlines in BRU means less charter flights for SN...

RoMax

Re: New charter airlines based in BRU

Post by RoMax »

Based on the job offer, I wouldn't see this as two airlines. Smartlynx does also operate flights under the Corendon brand so.. Corendon has been very active in Brussels for years and I believe in the past they already 'based/dedicated' one or more aircraft just for BRU operations during summer. Last year I heard they were thinking about a Belgian division as they have in the Netherlands (with two 738's operating under a Dutch AOC), but since then I never heard anything more about it.
But I don't see the potential influence on SN, Corendon has its own group of touroperators they are working with (the Corendon group as a whole is more than just a charter airline, it's a whole tourism group) and so does SN have their partners.
On another website I found more specificly "...to operate Turkey-Belgium flights" mentionned in the title of the job offer for Smartlynx, that's the home Corendon market, but does SN even operate charters to Turkey? I believe I have seen some Eskisehir charter flights of SN in the past, I don't know if they still do that?

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

SN is operating a lot of flights for Club Med and Thomas Cook Airlines in summer, but if another charter airline have an aicraft based in BRU and can offer better price than SN, why Thomas Cook and Club Med wouldńt ask them to do the flights for them?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

crew1990 wrote:SN is operating a lot of flights for Club Med and Thomas Cook Airlines in summer, but if another charter airline have an aicraft based in BRU and can offer better price than SN, why Thomas Cook and Club Med wouldńt ask them to do the flights for them?
By now SN has fixed contracts. It's not as if Club Med or Thomas Cook or whatever touroperator can switch from operator whenever they want if they have signed contracts. All the 'holiday flights' SN has planned for this summer are already safe under contracts, otherwise SN wouldn't take the risk.

Besides Corendon is a competitor of Club Med and Thomas Cook as a touroperator (Corendon Airlines is a Turkish airline, but it is owned by the Dutch touroperator Corendon), why would they work together...

convair

Post by convair »

RoMax wrote:
does SN even operate charters to Turkey?
I believe SN has charter flights to Antalya on summer week-ends.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I think it was rather Eskisehir.
André
ex Sabena #26567

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

SN had a weekly flight to Eskeshir as well as Antalya , last year it was operated via AMS
Citybird
The flying dream

Sean_DM

Post by Sean_DM »

Why everything another airline does is seen here as an attack on SN is beyond me :roll:
Maybe we should just ban everyone who doesnt have a B on it's tail out of BRU.

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

besides as said here .. corendon flies only to Turkish destinations... so no influence at all ....
Citybird
The flying dream

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I think Corendon airlines is flying predominantly on behalf of the tour operator with the same name and that as such they are not a competitor to any airline in se, but more to any tour operator like Neckermann, sunjets, etc.

Of course, they could theoretically try to operate for those competing tour operators too, but this is something rarely done and especially in the case of Club Med, I think the risk is small: Corendon seems to be offering the cheapish type of holidays, like 1 week of sun in Antalya for 320 euro, whereas Club Med is on the other side of the spectrum: 1 week for 'just' 800 euro is already a promotional price overthese (do they even do last minute promotions at Club Med?), so I don't think there's a risk club Med will want it's customers to mingle with those of Corendon; it's not the style of the house, so to say, just as a Mercedes car dealer won't send you to the local Dacia garage for new tyres either, even though they could perfectly do the job overthere too of course.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Sean_DM wrote:Why everything another airline does is seen here as an attack on SN is beyond me. Maybe we should just ban everyone who doesnt have a B on it's tail out of BRU.
Well, for once I can agree with you (although, partially): it's funny indeed to see how some conclude that Corendon's operations out of Brussels will result in less charter flights for Brussels Airlines. Corendon indeed is much more competition for Belgian based low cost airlines / low budget airlines / holiday destination airlines then it is for Brussels Airlines.

The reason why Corendon now needs external aircraft from Smart Lynx is probably because their main destination Turkey is exploding because of the massive tourism decline towards Egypt and the Red Sea holiday resorts (Hurghada, Sharm-el-Sheihk). For every holiday flight Corendon now has to cancel to Egypt, they can fill up one to Spain and two to Turkey.

koja78

Post by koja78 »

SN had a charter on Antalya? I thought only Turkish airlines (like birdy etc) were allowed to fly charters into Turkey.

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

koja78 wrote:SN had a charter on Antalya? I thought only Turkish airlines (like birdy etc) were allowed to fly charters into Turkey.
Indeed, SN operates a bunch of charters to AYT during summer season; on some days even several on the same day.

it's not forbidden to serve Turkish holiday destinations, it's just that there are certain financial incentives which make it a logical choice for most tour operators to subcontract these flights to Turish charter companies (even if they have an airline themselves), but for some tour operators like for instance Club Med, it's a product quality issue and they insist on a premium Belgian carrier to bring their guests to their holiday destination, even if it costs them more.

FWIW - Club Med has noticed a big surge in their customer satisfaction ever since they have switched to SN for their flights as the typical Club Med passenger really appreciates the service given to him on his flights to and from his not exactly cheap holiday. It's why they have renewed the charter contract for the long term too, btw even though SN wasn't the cheapest...

Sikiri

Post by Sikiri »

CTBke wrote:besides as said here .. corendon flies only to Turkish destinations... so no influence at all ....
Actually Corendon Airlines started a Dutch branch specifically so they could operate flights from Europe to other destinations outside of Turkey (e.g. Macedonia, Spain, Gambia). With a Turkish AOC this was not possible. Previously these flight these flights were operated only from the Netherlands, but why would they not do this in Belgium as well? Looking at the website besides Turkey they are offering flights (and holidays) to Greece and Tunisia from Brussels.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Sikiri wrote: Actually Corendon Airlines started a Dutch branch specifically so they could operate flights from Europe to other destinations outside of Turkey (e.g. Macedonia, Spain, Gambia). With a Turkish AOC this was not possible. Previously these flight these flights were operated only from the Netherlands, but why would they not do this in Belgium as well? Looking at the website besides Turkey they are offering flights (and holidays) to Greece and Tunisia from Brussels.
Indeed and that's why from what I heard last year they were also thinking about operating flights from Brussels under a Dutch or Belgian AOC.

But than still as I said early in this topic and repeated by several others, Corendon is in a slightly different league and with SN mainly working with the 'higher class' touroperators such as Club Med and Thomas Cook (mainly Club Med is a higher class touroperators of course), there is not much chance any of these companies will switch to Corendon. For sure not for this summer as they'll already have bounding contracts. But this is not Corendon's goal anyway, they have their own group of touroperators (Corendon and daughter companies itself, but also some close partners) and they don't need another major one to fill their aircraft. Especially not the ones offering the more expensive holidays, while Corendon is a low budget touroperator.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

RoMax wrote:Corendon is in a slightly different league and with SN mainly working with the 'higher class' touroperators such as Club Med and Thomas Cook (mainly Club Med is a higher class touroperators of course), there is not much chance any of these companies will switch to Corendon.
I indeed think that Club Med will stay with SN next year but in the case of Thomas Cook, they operate a lot of flight with foreign basic charter airlines like Tailwind, Onur Air, Nouvel Air, Privilege etc... And yes I think Corendon will be a concurent for SN as they will be abble to fly charter flight for themself, but also for other TO, and not only to Turkey as Corendon Dutch Airlines could fly everywhere SN is flying to.

I know it want hapend this year, the contract are signed, but I see in the long term.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

crew1990 wrote: I indeed think that Club Med will stay with SN next year but in the case of Thomas Cook, they operate a lot of flight with foreign basic charter airlines like Tailwind, Onur Air, Nouvel Air, Privilege etc... And yes I think Corendon will be a concurent for SN as they will be abble to fly charter flight for themself, but also for other TO,
Thomas Cook is a competitor of Corendon (and even more so than SN's other big client Club Med, because Thomas Cook Belgium is also active in the lower budget segment of the market). It's not unseen, but as long as Thomas Cook has another choice, they will not go working with Corendon...

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

But we have to do a difference between the TO and the airlines, even if Corendon is in competion with the group Thomas Cook, Thomas Cook could work with Corendon Airlines like they did many years with Jetairfly on the long haul even if Jetair is the bigger competitor of Thomas Cook.

Also i say Club Med and Thomas Cook Airlines as exemple as I know this is 2 big charter client of SN, but what about all the other smaller TO, enterprises, group of people wich will need to charter a flight from Brussels...

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Don't take this personal, please, but aren't you a little bit too paranoia now?

If a potential start up of a charter airline which may bid for contracts of yours in 2 or 3 years is already deemed a risk, then I am afraid you are not going to be able to sleep very well in this competitive landscape.

Every company holding a contract is at risk of loosing it at some point: the only way to be sure not to lose it is not to have one in the first place then. See what I mean? It's just part of doing business really.

I think

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

crew1990 wrote:But we have to do a difference between the TO and the airlines, even if Corendon is in competion with the group Thomas Cook, Thomas Cook could work with Corendon Airlines like they did many years with Jetairfly on the long haul even if Jetair is the bigger competitor of Thomas Cook.
Jetairfly was just for long haul because at that moment it was the only viable solution. This is kind of different situation.
Inquirer wrote: If a potential start up of a charter airline which may bid for contracts of yours in 2 or 3 years is already deemed a risk, then I am afraid you are not going to be able to sleep very well in this competitive landscape.

Every company holding a contract is at risk of loosing it at some point: the only way to be sure not to lose it is not to have one in the first place then. See what I mean? It's just part of doing business really.
I fully agree