MEA denies boarding and humiliates wheelchair passenger

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

BrightCedars

MEA denies boarding and humiliates wheelchair passenger

Post by BrightCedars »

In the news this morning:

http://www.lorientlejour.com/article/85 ... lante.html

I've switched my avatar to SN's logo as I cannot condone such behavior.
I'll envisage switching my business as well if they don't act responsibly.

b720

Re: MEA denies boarding and humiliates wheelchair passenger

Post by b720 »

Hold your horses, and wait for the investigation. I have flown on ME with my dad who is on a wheel chair, flight was actually BRU-BEY on ME216 on FEB 3. We were treated with utmost respect here in BRU, on the plane, and in BEY upon arrival. He had a medical incident during the flight, the crew handled with TOP efficiency, I was IMPRESSED> Wheel chair was awaiting at BEY, with someone to help move it. We are taken through the departure lounge upon arrival, as to avoid stairs and lifts. we had booked the flight, over the PHONE. and EXPLAINED the condition of the pax in advance. The lady in question, did she book online, and expect the airline to lift her on board without prior warning? I would rather wait and read the full report after investigation. Problem is that people in Lebanon expect the world from every institution, or company while not willing to abide by the laws and regulations themselves.

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

Hi b720, as I said I'll see how they respond. It's good you could give this positive contribution to shed light on such a delicate topic and add some perspective to it.

b720

Post by b720 »

MEA has responded: That pax in question had - according to her statement too - flown on MEA on numerous occasions before, without problems. MEA announced that the PAX on her flight from BEY-CAI had NOT requested special assistance upon booking her seat. She showed up at the check in counter, prior to departure on her own, in her wheel chair. She proved to be incapacitated and unable to move on her own from the gate to her seat on the plane. The check in agent denied her the flight for several reasons:
1. She needed to notify the airline in advance (like she always did on previous flights) for them to arrange for someone to assist her from her wheel chair to her seat, as the wheel chair does not enter the plane.
2. Without prior notice, the destination airport can not be informed on time about the pax's special needs.
hence making it very complicated for her to disembark.
The airline, further announced that they had recently established a designated centre at BEY catering for the needs of physically challenged passengers and that the centre is open 24/7.
Finally the airline stated that it carries about 100 pax per day who are physically challenged, out of whom 4 to 5 are completely or partially paralyzed.
One must await investigations before accusing an airline for wrong doing. The PAX in question seems to have decided to sue the airline. We shall await what happens in the coming days.

cnc

Post by cnc »

b720 wrote: 2. Without prior notice, the destination airport can not be informed on time about the pax's special needs.
hence making it very complicated for her to disembark.
i agree with all the points except this one. why else do we have PSM messages?

b720

Post by b720 »

not sure, maybe that destination in specific (CAI?) needs to be informed hours before arrival? They stated that as one of the reasons.. as the plane does a short tun around at CAI and returns to BEY? They must have had their reasons, they did not elaborate on this point. They just said it complicates matters for the PAX at her destination, if she had not requested special assistance upon booking.