Lufthansa - Germanwings

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

rhigginson

Lufthansa - Germanwings

Post by rhigginson »

Hi,

As Lufthansa shifting services to Germanwings, what is the fate of some of the long-haul routes?

They for example operate services from Düsseldorf to Chicago and Newark. What is likely to be the fate of these routes once LH's DUS hub is effectively closed as result of services being moved to the low cost carrier? Perhaps the LH group / Star Alliance would rather move these services to another airport which is still a hub in the LH group or Star Alliance in Europe?

Stij

Re: Lufthansa - Germanwings

Post by Stij »

I'm not a well informed person, but I think it's reasonable to bet they'll just continue these flights as DUS was just an origin/destination (Ruhrgebiet) feeding hubs on the other side of the Atlantic. For operational reasons, it could be United operating these fligths in the future, but I doubt it.

Cheers,

Stij

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Airline Route gives an answer to your question:

Lufthansa has launched codeshare service with germanwings since 01DEC13, initially on Munich – Dortmund route. The codeshare partnership will be expanded to 19 routes to/from Dusseldorf, starting 30MAR14. Lufthansa codeshare service operated by germanwings is only available when connecting from/to another Lufthansa service.

Codeshare routes as follow.

Dusseldorf – Barcelona
Dusseldorf – Basel
Dusseldorf – Bucharest
Dusseldorf – Dresden
Dusseldorf – Geneva
Dusseldorf – Gothenburg
Dusseldorf – Hamburg
Dusseldorf – Leipzig
Dusseldorf – Lyon
Dusseldorf – Milan Malpensa
Dusseldorf – Nuremberg
Dusseldorf – Prague
Dusseldorf – Turin
Dusseldorf – Wroclaw
Munich – Dortmund
André
ex Sabena #26567

flieger

Post by flieger »

In principle, Germanwings was only to be a European operation, for as far as I understood.
I don't think they will ever take long haul planes or routes...

flieger

Post by flieger »

Forgot to mention... it was a bit a reply on Ryanair, Easyjet etc as the short haul landscape changed a lot in the last decade. Don't see why they would do a smiliar shift on long haul...