A first big problem (and delay) for the JAF 787 OO-JDL ?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sean1982

Re: A first big problem (and delay) for the JAF 787 OO-JDL ?

Post by sean1982 »

Passenger wrote:Unfortunately, not all airlines apply common sense when extraordinary circumstances apply - example when the destination airport is closed because of fog, a few airlines drop off passengers in strange airports without giving them further assistance. It's these few airlines that cause European politicians to ask for a review of 261/2004.
like whom?

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,
How can a passenger know the reason of the delay and the truth?
How can they be obliged to pay when the airliner just may say thats waived because of ...reason... False reason...
I know an airliner which refuses to pay and they need so.. But the pax can't prove the given reason was false!
No not Ryanair...they bus the people to the other airport... Like SN did during the ashcloud!
I received from JAF the compensation without asking for it, it was paid on my account when I arrived home after a 12h OO-TUC delay holidaystart..
I'm speaking about HOP!
CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

woutertheboy

Post by woutertheboy »

sean1982 wrote:
Passenger wrote:Unfortunately, not all airlines apply common sense when extraordinary circumstances apply - example when the destination airport is closed because of fog, a few airlines drop off passengers in strange airports without giving them further assistance. It's these few airlines that cause European politicians to ask for a review of 261/2004.
like whom?
Great sarcasm Sean. Passenger, you should add "Remote" to the strange airports aswell. :lol:
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Since you've both never flown FR and subsequently don't know how they handle a diversion ... you obviously don't know that we have among the fastest service in europe when it comes to that. If there is a technical problem and the aircraft is not at base a replacement will be flown in ... if due to weather diversion ... regardless of whether the diversion airport is remote or not ... a bus will be arranged and passengers usually reach intended destination within 2 hrs.

Or are you gonna come up with a 4 year old link again? :roll:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Gentlemen, please, this is a thread about Jetairfly, not any other airline!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Duke

Post by Duke »

I'm surprised that it takes about 48 hours to repair an antenna/transponder failure. Like others have said here, Cancun is just a few hours flying time from the US. I understand that Jetairfly doesn't have a whole stock of parts at every station they fly to, but this delay does seem quite long.

About the compensation : the delay may have a cause not related to Jetairfly, but if you accept that, then there will never be any compensation. Of course, the antenna going dead is not the fault of Jetairfly, but this fault in a 2 months old aircraft is strange...
Because there's no back-up plane, this is going to happen again.
Anyway, paying € 600 to 250 passengers, and having them sleep in a 5* resort is still a whole lot cheaper than leasing another plane and flying back OO-JDL empty to Brussels...

Duke

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

sn26567 wrote:Gentlemen, please, this is a thread about Jetairfly, not any other airline!
I fully agree.
Please, Sean, don't take everything that is being said or suggested about "your" airline personally. You now come over like a luchtzak addict (don't want to offend you, but you're becoming difficult to deal with). I think you need a break, a vacation for a week or two far away from luchtzak, and you'll come back (hopefully) refreshed and less irritable and agressive. Take a break, take a kitkat, not a luchtzak ;)
In favor of quality air travel.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

EU Rule 261/2004 was not ment to deal with delays or cancellations for technical issues. It was ment to counterattack the overbookings and flight cancellations for operational reasons (i.e. not enough passengers to operate the flight at break even). 10-20-30 years ago, overbookings were about the rule in European aviation. Every airline did it, always with the same argument: "all airlines do it because some passengers don't show up". Nowadays, overbookings are more the exception. And when it happens, airlines have to offer the indemnity even before the passenger asks for it.

Now, regarding this topic: if the antenna is a concern for "flight safety operations" (see 261/2004), no 600 Euro indemnity has to be paid. However, I'm quite sure that Jetair will offer the stranded pax a nice voucher for their next holiday.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Air Key West wrote:
sn26567 wrote:Gentlemen, please, this is a thread about Jetairfly, not any other airline!
I fully agree.
Please, Sean, don't take everything that is being said or suggested about "your" airline personally. You now come over like a luchtzak addict (don't want to offend you, but you're becoming difficult to deal with). I think you need a break, a vacation for a week or two far away from luchtzak, and you'll come back (hopefully) refreshed and less irritable and agressive. Take a break, take a kitkat, not a luchtzak ;)
I appreciate what you're saying .. however I'm not very good at dealing with BS ... not now ... not ever

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

The technical problems of Jetair's 787 also made it to the headlines of the VRT 7 o'clock news this evening with an item of several minutes about it:
http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/v ... =1.1858657
For something as simple as this, the attention may be a bit of overkill to me! What do you all think about it? I think not only some members are in much needed need of a break (see above), but also some journalists, or where they supposed to be on the plane stuck in Cancun maybe? :D

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Sean, please try, don't say "not ever". It will make life a lot easier for you if sometimes you just let go....
PLEASE TRY !

(sorry, I know this is totally off topic ; I tried to send a PM, but it did not work :oops: SO I resort to a public message).

On topic (again ? ) to fuel the discussion :

I once thought the 787 would be the ideal l/h replacement aircraft for b.air, but not one single "fragile" airline should order it imho. The Dreamliner is not just experiencing teething troubles, but it getting a Nightmareliner. If I were an airline operating this aircraft, I think I'd rather keep a low profile.
In favor of quality air travel.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Inquirer wrote:The technical problems of Jetair's 787 also made it to the headlines of the VRT 7 o'clock news this evening with an item of several minutes about it:
http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/v ... =1.1858657
For something as simple as this, the attention may be a bit of overkill to me! What do you all think about it? I think not only some members are in much needed need of a break (see above), but also some journalists, or where they supposed to be on the plane stuck in Cancun maybe? :D
First time big delay for a "prestige project" .... media smells blood .. quite normal to me, nothing else happened today besides the cyclo cross ... the 30 minutes need to be filled ;-)

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Passenger wrote:
Passenger wrote:New arrival time on BrusselsAirport.be is now set for 05h15, Monday morning.
Meanwhile, it became 07h15.
And now, it has been adjusted to arrival 06h40. So OO-JDL must be on his way back home?

LJ

Post by LJ »

Duke wrote:I'm surprised that it takes about 48 hours to repair an antenna/transponder failure. Like others have said here, Cancun is just a few hours flying time from the US. I understand that Jetairfly doesn't have a whole stock of parts at every station they fly to, but this delay does seem quite long.
If you've followed the threads on Anet about Norwegian's 787 problems you know why such thing may cause a delay of 48 hours.... Spare parts for the 787 is an issue.
Passenger wrote:EU Rule 261/2004 was not ment to deal with delays or cancellations for technical issues. It was ment to counterattack the overbookings and flight cancellations for operational reasons (i.e. not enough passengers to operate the flight at break even).

Not entirely correct. 261/2004 was designed not only against overbooking, but also against the widely used practice of cancelling flights which didn't have much load and bad service on long delays. Technical delays/cancellations were always included (or at least the EU intended it to be incuded) though airlines interpreted otherwise (hence why the EU clairfied 261/2004).

galaxy

Post by galaxy »

So OO-JDL must be on his way back home?

Here you can fellow the flight :
http://www.flightradar24.com/#JAF502/2a ... 8199970123

epsilon

Post by epsilon »

Desert Rat wrote:
Don't they have 2 ATC transponder on the 787?
Yes there are two. But in above cases it was a total xpdr system failure affecting both. Maybe the antenna coupling...

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

I'm not quite sure, but I also believe that entering transatlantic airspace requires two serviceable transponders.

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

The plane's back in BRU
Thank God for that. Now we can get back to worrying whether Amanda Knox will get extradited or not ;)