Ryanair in 2014

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply
sean1982
Posts: 3163
Joined: 18 Mar 2003, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by sean1982 » 25 Apr 2014, 21:43

Euhm, you couldn't be more wrong with your "analysis" based on hearsay. :roll:

That 8% reduction in CRL has nothing to do with BRU per sé, but is the result of 1 aircraft less based. However the routes the are flown both out of BRU and CRL have not suffered in CRL, in facts loads remained more or less the same.

Our customer base in BRU is in fact largely new passengers that are coming over from other airlines. Daily our cabin is filled with bagagge tags from, SN, star alliance senator cards, TAP and vueling. And while loadfactors in march may have been around 80% (not hardly 70% as you claim) we are now operating between 90-100% on ALL destinations.

Maybe get your facts right before you decide to try and spin some hearsay into info!

appel
Posts: 93
Joined: 15 Oct 2010, 06:07

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by appel » 25 Apr 2014, 23:17

I don't think there will be flights to STN,
someone told me that they have to pay some kind of fine if they fly from Belgium to STN.
apparently this has something to do with the Eurostar.
Does anyone have more info about this?

Inquirer
Posts: 1992
Joined: 14 Feb 2012, 14:30

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by Inquirer » 25 Apr 2014, 23:55

sean1982 wrote: Maybe get your facts right before you decide to try and spin some hearsay into info!
You know Sean, the thing is that as time goes by, much of the things ryanair have claimed about their performance at BRU and you believe to be true simply don't hold grounds any longer in the face of indirect operational data which become available.

Let's try to have a look at it together, shall we?

1- CRL is known to have lost 35,000 pax net in March, despite the fact that as good as all airports and airlines in Europe report higher passenger numbers on the back of a timid global economic recovery, so it is safe to assume this effect must also be also felt at CRL.
This means that the number of passengers actually shifting from CRL to BRU must be higher than the reported net loss of 'just' 35,000 passengers in March, however.
Let's be conservative still and estimate it at something like 55,000+, which would mean that thanks to the improved economy in Europe, there's actually still an underlying growth of 5% vs. last year in CRL then.
55,000+ of CRL passengers opting for BRU in March also comes close to roughly 700,000 per year if extrapolated to an annual basis, or the amount of its current passengers CRL feared would be seen to depart to BRU.

2- BRU gained close to 125,000 extra passengers in March vs last year, with Brussels Airport attributing the growth to both additional low cost activity as well as higher loads on full service airlines.
Brussels Airlines is known to having reported 25,000 more passengers in March, so let's be conservative once again and give Ryanair the full balance of those other 100,000 extra passengers at BRU for March.
100,000 passengers nicely matches the 70% loadfactor in March which got reported by insiders who happen to have access to your airlines' data at BRU.

Now, if we combine these 2 known facts, it shows us a picture in which more than half the passengers boarding the new ryanair flights in BRU are in fact simply coming over from CRL and whereas this means ryanair is indeed attracting many new passengers in BRU too, it may just not be enough to offset the extra costs of adding extra capacity on routes already served by Ryanair from CRL, especially not given the high cost basis in BRU, because remember that in essence you have to recover all the costs of the flying from BRU with the revenues from just the extra passengers alone, of course.

I know the figures I tried to deduct from airport operational figures are not exact science and I may indeed be off by a couple of thousand on both accounts, but even in the case of me misestimating to your disadvantage 2 times, the reality is that the first available airport figures after the opening of BRU as a new Ryanair destination show that ryanair's new market at BRU is acting very much as a communicating vessel to its traditional market in CRL (and to a lesser extend probably also Eindhoven, Maastricht and maybe even Lille, which I am sure you've noticed, I all left out), a less than ideal situation which would obviously require them to immediately put a hold to any further expansion plans from BRU for now, just as we see happening.

sean1982
Posts: 3163
Joined: 18 Mar 2003, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by sean1982 » 26 Apr 2014, 08:17

I've seen the customer surveys (a very big % our BRU pax have never seen the CRL terminal up close for example, and would never consider it as an alternative)
I've talked to the passengers onboard
I've seen the current load factors in BRU (90-100%)
I've seen the luggage tags and the nationalities of the pax.
I've seen the loadfactors of CRL flights which are equal to last year, there are just less airplanes based AND last year easter was in march while this year easter was in april. (A fact that you manage to ignore completely in your numbers game based on assumptions)
And I've seen the preliminary planning for BRU next year, and if true, a bomb will be dropped ;-)
Last edited by sn26567 on 26 Apr 2014, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unsuitable sentences removed

Acid-drop
Posts: 2605
Joined: 29 Jun 2005, 00:00
Location: Liège, BE
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by Acid-drop » 26 Apr 2014, 09:07

I dont even know why you discuss it
Some destinations are served now from BRU only so pax have no choice to use BRU.
Obviously there will be pax lost in CRL... Until ryanair gets enough planes.
Other companies in BRU are also wining because new ryanair prices arent that great. SN is often cheaper now.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

sean1982
Posts: 3163
Joined: 18 Mar 2003, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by sean1982 » 26 Apr 2014, 09:16

Have you suddenly compared all fares on all dates to decide that?

"Often" questionable
"Sometimes" probable

sean1982
Posts: 3163
Joined: 18 Mar 2003, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by sean1982 » 30 Apr 2014, 12:37

Ryanair orders 5 extra Boeing 737-800, boosting the nummer 180 on order

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/ ... ?market=en

teddybAIR
Posts: 1609
Joined: 02 Mar 2004, 00:00
Location: Steenokkerzeel
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by teddybAIR » 30 Apr 2014, 13:30

Whether you love or hate Ryanair, you gotta appreciate their track record! Simply impressive.

airazurxtror
Posts: 3789
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 00:00

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by airazurxtror » 03 May 2014, 17:45

Ryanair has backed the €1.5m pay packet awarded to Aer Lingus boss Christoph Mueller in surprise move.
At the Aer Lingus annual general meeting, Ryanair used its near 30pc stake to support a resolution to approve the pay received by Aer Lingus directors for 2013.
That ensured a narrow majority voted in favour of the pay and pension hike.

The decision by Ryanair to back Mr Mueller's pay is even more surprising because the remuneration received by the Aer Lingus chief executive included a €400,000 bonus for having successfully fought the latest takeover attempt by Ryanair.

It was also expected that Ryanair would vote against Mr Mueller's pay package as the Government, which controls 25.1pc of the airline, decided not to approve the resolution.
That was a highly embarrassing and serious rebuke for Aer Lingus.

Read more :
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ry ... 40609.html

Strange but funny !
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

stefanel
Posts: 259
Joined: 17 Jul 2006, 10:40
Location: Brussels

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by stefanel » 06 May 2014, 12:11

sean1982 wrote:I've seen the customer surveys (a very big % our BRU pax have never seen the CRL terminal up close for example, and would never consider it as an alternative)
I've talked to the passengers onboard
I've seen the current load factors in BRU (90-100%)
I've seen the luggage tags and the nationalities of the pax.
I've seen the loadfactors of CRL flights which are equal to last year, there are just less airplanes based AND last year easter was in march while this year easter was in april. (A fact that you manage to ignore completely in your numbers game based on assumptions)
And I've seen the preliminary planning for BRU next year, and if true, a bomb will be dropped ;-)
Please tell us more about this "bomb".
thanks

airazurxtror
Posts: 3789
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 00:00

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by airazurxtror » 06 May 2014, 12:21

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/ ... 0-to-7-8m/

Ryanair today (6 May) released April traffic statistics (which are affected by the Easter holiday in April 2014, whereas Easter 2013 fell in March) as follows:
• Traffic grew by 400,000 to 7.8m customers (up 5%)
• Load factor increased 3% to 84%.
• Annual traffic rose to a record 82m customers (up 3%).
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

rhigginson
Posts: 29
Joined: 07 Aug 2009, 22:34

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by rhigginson » 12 May 2014, 21:17

What are the prospects of Ryanair translating its website into more languages? Seems like an easy way of attracting more customers to it and some countries where Ryanair even base aircraft don't even have the local website translated into the local language

User avatar
RoMax
Posts: 4402
Joined: 20 Jun 2009, 16:32

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by RoMax » 14 May 2014, 01:53

http://www.anna.aero/2014/05/13/ryanair ... than-added

Some interesting numbers. FR does increase its capacity (about 1% up according to anna.aero in the first week of August), but operating 84 routes less than in the same period in 2013. While FR launches 138 new routes, 222 routes were dropped.
In terms of weekly departures, CRL is one of the big losers this year with 65 less weekly departures in August 2014 compared to August 2013. Weeze (-73) and WAW (-99) are even worse. Contrary to for example WAW, Weeze and Girona the loss at CRL in weekly departues does not come from a big loss in routes, but simply major cuts in frequency it seems.
On the other hand, some major airports receive a huge boost in weekly departures, the top-5: FCO +112, Warsaw Modlin +100, Stansted +93, BRU +91 and Athens +79. Airports such as FCO, ATH, LIS, BCN, BRU and MAN are all seen as 'major airports' and they clearly show significant growth (several of these are completely new to the FR network). While the biggest losers (except for WAW) are mainly secondary/LCC airports (Weeze, Girona, CRL, Skavsta, Hahn, Rygge, etc.). The trend is clear: a significant shift to major airports, but of course that's not a suprise anymore, but still interesting to see these numbers.

sean1982
Posts: 3163
Joined: 18 Mar 2003, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by sean1982 » 14 May 2014, 07:51

But in the mean time average sector length had increased.

cnc
Posts: 1325
Joined: 19 May 2009, 16:14

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by cnc » 14 May 2014, 11:16

legend says FR is going to dubble their BRU flights in the near future...
i hope they add some eastern europe destinations

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 35330
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by sn26567 » 14 May 2014, 11:22

cnc wrote:legend says FR is going to double their BRU flights in the near future...
Not in winter 2014: 9 destinations instead of 10 during summer 2014.
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror
Posts: 3789
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 00:00

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by airazurxtror » 14 May 2014, 11:47

They are short on aircraft : 175 737 are on order (75 replacements and 100 additions to the present fleet) - 15 to be delivered early in 2015.
http://www.jethros.org.uk/fleets/fleet_ ... yanair.htm
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

sean1982
Posts: 3163
Joined: 18 Mar 2003, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by sean1982 » 14 May 2014, 12:01

cnc wrote:legend says FR is going to dubble their BRU flights in the near future...
i hope they add some eastern europe destinations
Let me put it this way: I think a repetition of GRO-BCN case is not far away. They can feel the storm coming in CRL. There is a reason why Wathelet is kicking up the dirt.

appel
Posts: 93
Joined: 15 Oct 2010, 06:07

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by appel » 14 May 2014, 12:45

airazurxtror wrote:They are short on aircraft : 175 737 are on order (75 replacements and 100 additions to the present fleet) - 15 to be delivered early in 2015.
http://www.jethros.org.uk/fleets/fleet_ ... yanair.htm
180 on order as of last week
off those 5 extra 4 will be delivered before summer 2015
don't know if those 5 will be extra replacements or for expansion

sdbelgium
Posts: 2713
Joined: 10 Aug 2008, 13:32
Location: Gent
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by sdbelgium » 14 May 2014, 14:44

3 FlyDubai Boeing 737-800 to be damp-leased as of May 18th, and operated out of STN. They will be repainted in RYR colors, receive new registrations and will stay until the 15th of September.
  • A6-FEB > EI-FEB
    A6-FEC > EI-FEC
    A6-FED > EI-FED
All were delivered about a year and a half ago.

Post Reply