Ryanair in 2014

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

ticketbuyer

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by ticketbuyer »

Flanker 2 wrote:
Can they operate at a higher level of expenses and still be as profitable, ie move towards a less extreme WN (Southwest) business model or are they risking to loose the baseline customers who are plenty but pay little, in an attempt to win the more lucrative ones who pay more but are fewer?
FR can differentiate between the two models by using different prices, for example BRU-FCO will cost more than CRL-CIA, and more convenient flight times.
They will be using the same planes so if there is the demand they could easily evolve into a 2-tier system; Ryanair Traditional and Ryanair Upmarket.
If it doesn't work they can go back to their standard ULCC model.
The important thing is they are experimenting with new ideas; who knows where it will lead?

rghigginson

Post by rghigginson »

Can one assume that the capacity for the new flights to/ Greece is coming from capacity also removed from Morocco? In addition to that taken from Maastricht.

liege-bierset

Post by liege-bierset »

O'Leary: Ryanair mogelijk volgend jaar op Schiphol
http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nl-NL/Ar ... p_Schiphol
BTW: They have already announced reducing HHN german base from 9 to 6 B738.

Established02

Post by Established02 »

ticketbuyer wrote:FR can differentiate between the two models by using different prices, for example BRU-FCO will cost more than CRL-CIA, and more convenient flight times.
From the example to the actual specifics...

The CIA and FCO schedules are different, but not necessarily more or less convenient.
Actually the CIA schedule looks better for a day return than the FCO schedule.

By looking at a few random weeks I don't have the impression that the BRU flights are priced significantly higher than the CRL flights.
Attachments
FR FCO.JPG
FR CIA.JPG

ticketbuyer

Post by ticketbuyer »

Great work Established 2
Thank you

I never imagined that FR could fly between major airports for near their usual prices and I was too lazy to check. I'm glad to be proved wrong. They are going to have a great future.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/sho ... est-quotes

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Established02 wrote:
ticketbuyer wrote:FR can differentiate between the two models by using different prices, for example BRU-FCO will cost more than CRL-CIA, and more convenient flight times.
From the example to the actual specifics...

The CIA and FCO schedules are different, but not necessarily more or less convenient.
Actually the CIA schedule looks better for a day return than the FCO schedule.

By looking at a few random weeks I don't have the impression that the BRU flights are priced significantly higher than the CRL flights.
It's because CRL-CIA is flown ex-CRL

While BRU-FCO is flown ex-FCO
I suppose the expect more italians to come to BRU for the day, then the other way around

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

High-speed rail forces Ryanair to axe Rome - Milan flights from April

Ryanair will from April axe its flights between Rome Ciampino and Milan Orio al Serio in the face of increasing pressure from Italy's two high speed rail operators, Trenitalia and Italo. The route's last day of guaranteed service will be March 29.

According to Italy's ANSA newswire, Ryanair's intention to move flights from Rome's Ciampino airport to Rome Fiumicino initially was thought to be due to technical issues, but no connecting flights have been scheduled for the summer between Milan and the Italian capital. The route between Italy's two largest hubs is no longer viewed as "economically strategic" in light of growing demand for high-speed rail traffic which is competitive both in terms of price and convenience.

Source: ch-aviation
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Didn't Easyjet recently start flying from Milan-malpensa to Rome?
It seems to me Ryanair is cautiously avoiding to enter into all too direct competition with them?

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

As far as I know, easyJet fly Linate-Fiumicino. Linate is not that far from Milano downtown.
Malpensa is about 45 km away from Milano (as is Orio al Serio) and is sure no valid competition in front of the HST, that run between the stations of Milano Centrale and Roma Termini, both near the city center.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Michael O'Leary will hold a press conference in Brussels (but not at the airport where he is not welcome) on Wednesday 22 January at 09:00.

Announcing new flights out of BRU ?
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

sn26567 wrote:Michael O'Leary will hold a press conference in Brussels (but not at the airport where he is not welcome) on Wednesday 22 January at 09:00.

Who says he is not welcome there? His flights and money are but he is not??? How arrogant (of you?)

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sn26567 wrote:Michael O'Leary will hold a press conference in Brussels (but not at the airport where he is not welcome) on Wednesday 22 January at 09:00.

Just an idea of mine, but he'll probably announce another plane (and a few more routes that go with it), mainly to work around the slot constraints they face: I've read somewhere that they can't fly the proposed schedule with just 3 planes after some of the requested times were rejected and so they need to add more planes to make it all work. I can't seem to find the source back, though, sorry.
sean1982 wrote:Who says he is not welcome there? His flights and money are but he is not??? How arrogant (of you?)
Let's not go there again, shall we?
It has been made perfectly clear by BRU that he's not really a much wanted customer as he's not fitting their bigger picture: Whether or not that is correct is another question of course, but there's no need to accuse André of arrogance really. I think he's a much respected member!

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Unless a BRU manager has said or written black on white that MO'L is not welcome at BRU, then I actually find it very arrogant to just assume that ... and otherwise it's arrogant from the airport. It's very easy to say in the media :"We don't want you here, because you don't fit (what about ezy? or vueling?)" and on the other hand stand there with your pockets open.

And there we're 4 planes coming from the start BTW, and as I posted earlier .... alll slot constraints have been dealt with ... all slots besides the VLC late return have been approved and are being flown according to schedule. If there is another airplane coming, it will be with extra routes.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

BRU has a very clear vision of being a Star Alliance hub, and a secondary charter and low cost offer focused on the Belgian carriers Thomas Cook, Jetairfly and a low cost offer of easyJet and Vueling (besides numerous smaller players). The way Ryanair intervenes and announces a base with 10 routes is one thing, that they didn't t even care to step to BRU and the Belgian slot coordination before the day of the announcement (because "BRU is half deserted anyway") is quite arrogant on its as well.
sean1982 wrote: and on the other hand stand there with your pockets open.
BRU can not refuse Ryanair if they are willing to pay what BRU asks and agree with the available slots. Sometimes you can't choose your own clients...

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

RoMax wrote:Sometimes you can't choose your own clients...
That's indeed an interesting remark to make: in the hotel business, many premium hotels are known to refuse group bookings or bookings from eastern Europe because they fear the presence of 'unsuitable' guests will ruin the image of upmarket exclusivity they carefully built.

it seems to me like BRU feels ryanair are a bit like a bunch of Russian tourists settling in at a posh 4 star hotel, paying the bills with a smile, but dragging the standing of the place down with their presence nevertheless. You may disagree with that of course, but it's clearly what they think is happening to their airport right now and they sure aren't very pleased with it, to say the least.

Not often do you see an airport being so negative about one of their customer/airlines.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Inquirer wrote:but dragging the standing of the place down with their presence nevertheless
The arrogance here makes me puke, seriously :o

When doing business EVERY customer should be valuable, whether you like them or not. I hope on you next flight a cabin crew member treats you like shit just because they don't like your face. Then maybe you would re-think statements like: "you don't choose you're customer"
Last edited by sean1982 on 20 Jan 2014, 14:17, edited 2 times in total.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Nobody is being arrogant here, Sean, we're all just searching for words to describe the reaction of BRU, whether that's me, Romax or indeed André.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Now tell me which "standing" BRU has? Nothing. Which American business man is thinking: When I go on business, I'll choose to go through BRU? Unless they have to go to Africa (for now, but with Turkish and the likes that will go too), none.

You die hard BRU (SN) fanboys may not like it ... but BRU IS empty during the day. wave in the morning, wave in the evening ... done, and politically shut down at night. Let's compare with what lies around us shall we? A oneworld HUB (LHR), a TRUE star HUB (FRA, which LH will never allow to become less in favour of BRU, not in your wildest dreams), and 2 SKYTEAM HUBS (AMS and CDG)

What about the "standing" of airports like LGW, MAD, DUB, ... For years and years they have been combining succesfully LCC flights with legacy. If BRU wants a fighting chance, maybe they should reconsider what they are doing and more importantly don't behave like the emperor of Europe when they are barely hanging on to the bottom steps of major European airports.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sean1982 wrote:When doing business EVERY customer should be valuable, whether you like them or not. I hope on you next flight a cabin crew member treats you like shit just because they don't like your face. Then maybe you would re-think statements like: "you don't choose you're customer"
No need to turn personal now, I can share your frustration, but I hope you understand the concept I am trying to make you clear: when you (think you) run a premium business aimed at attracting up market customers, you aren't going to be very pleased with the presence of customers which won't exactly fit in as these risk moving out in response! You can discuss the viability of this strategy, but clearly it is the stategy of BRU at present, so no need to attack us for merely pointing that out, really.

I've given the exemple of hotels wich bluntly refuse Russian tourists for instance, because it is known their mere presence drives away many other costomers: if the owners of the hotel feel their bottom line will take a negative turn as a consequence, then who are we to disagree with their commercial strategy to focus on one segment of the market only and thus refuse other guests, even if they are willing to pay?

Ever tried to get into a posh club on a Saturday night, looking like a tramp for instance? It's the same phenomenon, really.

P

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

See my above comment ... and comparing to FR to a tramp is not arrogant? Please