Ryanair in 2014

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sean1982

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by sean1982 »

No that goes into your free second bag that you can always keep with you.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sean1982 wrote:No that goes into your free second bag that you can always keep with you.
Because everyone takes two carry-on bags with him... ?!

Besides, you don't see the difference with SN (or why even SN, just any FSC)? Well I doubt that when I go to the gate for a FR flight with my 20+kg bag, just 5min before departure, that they will simply put in the cargo hold 'free of charge'. In that case I prefer to wait those little minutes to drop my bag at the self-service baggage drop-off desks and still have my carry on bag of about 5kg (and maybe even a second small one) with me on the aircraft.

But to come back the the initial discussion. I do believe Norwegian is giving FR a hard time in Northern-Europe for quite some time already and with Norwegian expanding in the rest of Europe, I doubt this will change. FR moves away from the ULCC principle, but lacks the service offered by NAS or even easyJet...I don't think that's such a good idea.
Last edited by RoMax on 21 May 2014, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

I wasnt talking about 20+ kg bags, but about normal businessmen daytrip bags
An average flight has 15 bags in the hold, so most of our pax dont even care about 20+ kg bags!!
... but hey anything is good for a piss on FR right? Fanboys falling over their feet to have something to say :D

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sean1982 wrote:I wasnt talking about 20+ kg bags, but about normal businessmen daytrip bags ...
Wouldn't make me happy, on a business trip and 'forced' to have my carry-on bag to be loaded in the cargo hold...I will want to work on the plane (and don't want to wait upon arrival for my bag, even if it's just 5min) and no not every business passenger takes two bags and neither every business passenger has a bag small enough to get it on board anyway.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Right so you want to work and take a bag that is not small enough to take onboard and not take 2 bags?
So, where are you going to put your workstuff then if you dont have 2 bags?? Carry all your papers, your phone, your keys,your ipad and your laptop in your hand while boarding the airplane?? Which size plane are we talking? A DH8? an ARJ100? a B738??

Give me a break. it's called: spijkers op laag water zoeken ;)

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sean1982 wrote:Right so you want to work and take a bag that is not small enough to take onboard
Do not turn my words around, not small enough to fit the "second small bag"-policy. You say yourself that a 'regular' carry-on bag often gets loaded in the cargo hold when you arrive quite late at the gate, as a business passenger I don't want that, because my stuff I want to use to work on board are in that bag. And even if I have a second smaller carry-on bag that is still allowed on board, who says it's big enough to fit for example my laptop besides the stuff that's already in it? Business passengers are not always the easiest ones you know, they might be 'friendly', but very often their thoughts are far from friendly.

I know I'm being annoying right now, but that's simply how many people think about for example FR (I don't say it's only about them). You can't deny that compared to full service carriers there is way more carry-on stuff (because of the no-free checked luggage policy of LCC's) and that often simply doesn't fit in the cabin and that this is an important reason for irritation.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Then simple, as I said (if you would've read it before you jumped the gun) you buy priority boarding for 5 EUR and even if you're the last one to board you're bag is garantueed into the cabin! BOTH of them

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sean1982 wrote:Then simple, as I said (if you would've read it before you jumped the gun) you buy priority boarding for 5 EUR and even if you're the last one to board you're bag is garantueed into the cabin! BOTH of them
Yes, or depending on availability of tickets, you simply buy a ticket with an FSC and you don't have to pay extra. With FR's rising prices, it's not that unusual anymore to have tickets with other (even non-LCC) carriers that have similar or lower prices.
Moving away from ULCC to catch more business travellers is not as simple as that. But FR has enough buffers, so if things don't work out as they expected, more actions will follow soon. I'm just very curious how things will turn out in the coming years.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:That's not the airlines fault, if people choose to take that much on board. Whenever I fly I go to the gate 5 min before departure and never have to queue. OK, maybe 5 min for my bag on the baggage belt. That's not the end of the world is it??
Some passengers diagree. A certain Yterwaal wrote on Telegraaf.nl:

"...Rome met Ryanair: nooit meer! Alles wat fout kon gaan, ging fout! Begon met de koffers! Op hun verzoek gratis meenemen van ruimkoffer, als handbagage ook in ruim mocht worden geplaatst! Koffer kostten bij volgende controle toch 50 euro en 50 aan weggegooide spullen. In Rome aangekomen handbagage zoek!!!2 dagen zonder en zelf op wezen halen! Kostten ons halve dag! Wat een chaos en walgelijk begin van welverdiende vakantie! Geen enkele medewerking van Ryanair..."

Translated:

"... Rome with Ryanair? Never again! At Ryanair's suggestion/request, we've got free luggage if also our hand luggage could be put in the cargo hold... At the next control, we had to pay 50 Euro surcharge, and we lost another 50 Euro because we had to reduce bagage. Arrival in Rome: no hand luggage... Was found after two days, but we had to go the airport and collect it ourselves... No collaboration at all from Ryanair...

http://www.telegraaf.nl/reiskrant/22645 ... l#reacties

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

The suitcase still needs to comply with the maximum size and weightrestrictons, like every cabin bag with every airline .... so I disagree with you

how long did you search for that comment?? because 95% is positive :D

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

RoMax wrote:
sean1982 wrote:Then simple, as I said (if you would've read it before you jumped the gun) you buy priority boarding for 5 EUR and even if you're the last one to board you're bag is garantueed into the cabin! BOTH of them
Yes, or depending on availability of tickets, you simply buy a ticket with an FSC and you don't have to pay extra. With FR's rising prices, it's not that unusual anymore to have tickets with other (even non-LCC) carriers that have similar or lower prices.
Moving away from ULCC to catch more business travellers is not as simple as that. But FR has enough buffers, so if things don't work out as they expected, more actions will follow soon. I'm just very curious how things will turn out in the coming years.
Yes and why is that? Because they are forced to do so, not because they want to. Don't even believe for a second that SN for example is making any money on those fares that are a few EUR above FR's or they have been lying and the playing field is more level then they make out!

LJ

Post by LJ »

RoMax wrote: Wouldn't make me happy, on a business trip and 'forced' to have my carry-on bag to be loaded in the cargo hold...I will want to work on the plane (and don't want to wait upon arrival for my bag, even if it's just 5min) and no not every business passenger takes two bags and neither every business passenger has a bag small enough to get it on board anyway.
However, this happens at other airlines as well (and they also loose the bags). Moreover, it depends on the flight and the purpose of the trip. The "business passneger" doesn't exist. Someone on a 1.5 hour hop has different needs then when you're on a 2.5 hour flight. Moreover, not every "business passenger" works on the plane (and given the small space and lack of privacy it's virtually impossible to do somethink else than to read). Finally, if the business pasenger has the right sized bag he'll probably pay (or better his employer will pay)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

According to OAG Schedules Analyzer, Ryanair will (sometimes) use a leased B737-400 on the Dublin-Charleroi route this summer.

Spotters, get your cameras ready...
André
ex Sabena #26567

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Already mentioned before ;)

air explore and air contractors are the operators..
FR booking website shows which flights are operated by which planes...
b737 classics ;)

enjoy!

Cxb
New types flown 2022.. A339

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I know the 734 was announced before, but not on DUB-CRL !
André
ex Sabena #26567

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Aircrafts are based in DUB for summer...

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

RTM

Post by RTM »

sean1982 wrote:Don't even believe for a second that SN for example is making any money on those fares that are a few EUR above FR's
Do you have a source for that claim? Is FR the only one allowed to make money on those fares? On what basis would they be the only one capable to make money on those fares?

Bit of an arrogant statement if you ask me...

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

You know what would be arrogant? SN has been crying in the press about levelling the playing field for years now. The have recently started a court case for "unfair competition" against FR. What would be really arrogant is now claiming that they have the same profit margin then FR on those fares, because that would mean that they have been lying all the time.
They fly a mixed fleet, which increases cost
The A320 has a higher CASM then the B738
The airplanes are older, so the fuel burn is higher
The crew cost is higher

Do you think that they would even offer those fares if FR wouldnt be in BRU or CRL? Not in a million years.
But hey, you never know. After all arrogance is the leading word ik belgian aviation.

SN wast just an example btw, it could be any FSC. The way those companies are set up inherently increases costs.

RTM

Post by RTM »

I definately wasn't talking about SN specifically, but about FSC's in general...