Ryanair in 2014

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

LJ

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by LJ »

RTM wrote:I definately wasn't talking about SN specifically, but about FSC's in general...
A visit to the website of CAPA would provide more background on this issue. Basically, both CASK and cost per passenger are much much lower at FR than any fulls ervice airline. That doesn't mean they make money on fares ex BRU (for now probably not). Moreover, it depends on how you define "making money" as an empty seat in a plane costs more. For some, any fare above the variable cost is considered "making money". In the end, one can debate endlessly on such a topic.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

The Ryanair Pilot Group has published a press release during the Berlin Air Show. RPG has done a survey among its members and it seems that a majority is not very happy with Employment Contracts, Tax Issues, Summer Leave and Pilot Turnover.

Press release:
https://www.ryanairpilotgroup.com/sites ... 20Copy.pdf

Some reports in the Belgian press:

http://www.gva.be/nieuws/buitenland/aid ... anair.aspx

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/942/Economie/a ... eren.dhtml

http://trends.knack.be/economie/nieuws/ ... 678525.htm

http://www.lalibre.be/economie/actualit ... 2383ced07c

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Ryanair has launched its new onboard menu, offering a wide range of food, snacks and hot and cold drinks along with some new additions, including a hot breakfast.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

I find that their menu hasn't changed much.
The Lavazza coffee is a good initiative, at least that's decent coffee.
The addition of pastries is good too, but their breakfast prices are a bit ridiculous.

Also as usually with Ryanair, the problem will be avilability rather than the products themselves. They get sold-out pretty fast and you get stuck with what's left.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Passenger wrote:The Ryanair Pilot Group has published a press release during the Berlin Air Show. RPG has done a survey among its members and it seems that a majority is not very happy with Employment Contracts, Tax Issues, Summer Leave and Pilot Turnover.

Press release:
https://www.ryanairpilotgroup.com/sites ... 20Copy.pdf

Some reports in the Belgian press:

http://www.gva.be/nieuws/buitenland/aid ... anair.aspx

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/942/Economie/a ... eren.dhtml

http://trends.knack.be/economie/nieuws/ ... 678525.htm

http://www.lalibre.be/economie/actualit ... 2383ced07c
Hi Sean ! Radio Silence ?
Radio silence from MOL, too, apparently.
So, it's got to be true.
In favor of quality air travel.

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

RPG Council (the executives from the Ryanair Pilot Group)
After a little investigation: just one (1 !!) ex-Ryanair!!!!!! :D :D :D

Evert van Zwol
Captain Boeing 777
Air France KLM
April 1990 – Present (24 years 2 months) Amsterdan Schiphol Airport

Ted Murphy
Ex-Captain B757
Jet2.com
Ex FO Aer Lingus

Samuel Giezendanner
FO B777.

Capt. John Goss

Ryanair’s longest-serving pilot Captain John Goss has been awarded the Presidential Citation for his outstanding contribution to the pilot profession by the International Federation of Airline Pilots’ Associations (IFALPA). This highest award by IFALPA acknowledges Capt. Goss’ professionalism as an airline pilot and recognises his exceptional commitment to the Ryanair pilot community. :D :D :D

Carl Kuwitzky
Capt B737
Southwest Airlines

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Boeing767copilot wrote:RPG Council (the executives from the Ryanair Pilot Group)
After a little investigation: just one (1 !!) ex-Ryanair!
Indeed - and the reason why has been told here before: a Ryanair pilot who openly joins the Pilot Group gets dismissed. Therefore, an external board was necessary.

If you read the document that was presented in Berlin, you will see that the duty rosters will be amended and that allowances will cancelled if there is whatever "social action" (not even a strike) at a Ryanair station.

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

yes and they are talking about 1100 pilots, so not only the few names you just gave...

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Over 1,100 pilots responded to the RPG Pilot Survey. Over 70% of pilots are currently planning to leave the
Airline. The correct figure is: 770 pilots

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

Boeing767copilot wrote:Over 1,100 pilots responded to the RPG Pilot Survey. Over 70% of pilots are currently planning to leave the
Airline. The correct figure is: 770 pilots
still 765 pilots more than the 5 names you have given!

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Standard (non FR) Union talk. Only difference with SN is that they DON'T strike

RTM

Post by RTM »

sean1982 wrote:Standard (non FR) Union talk. Only difference with SN is that they DON'T strike
Read between the lines Sean...
I am convinced that the exploitation of personnel, not just pilots btw, at FR can't last, and they shouldn't last. I am not saying it will happen in the near future, bus sooner or later, either actions will break out, or things fall apart due to shortage of personnel...

Actually, a golden oppertunity for the competiton if you ask me. As soon as economy allows, and airlines are looking for additional pilots, hire the ones that want to leave FR...

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

10 years and counting. If there would be exploitation, my bank account would show it

SNam

Post by SNam »

RTM wrote: I am convinced that the exploitation of personnel, not just pilots btw, at FR can't last, and they shouldn't last. I am not saying it will happen in the near future, bus sooner or later, either actions will break out, or things fall apart due to shortage of personnel...
Well, i am almost daily in contact with FR staff and i am not under the impression that they are exploited. And if they are exploited, then to me they deal with it in a professional way. It is a pleasure to work with them..

Good job Sean!

RTM

Post by RTM »

Hence the fact that 70% indicates they want to leave...

I'm sure they keep up appearances, they should, but I don't think it will last. Just my opinion of coarse...

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

770 pilots planning to quit out of 1100 who joined the union?
1. Don't worry, there are five times more CV's in the CAE databank of jobless pilots.
2. You don't join a union just because you enjoy working there
3. What would such a poll show at the traditional airlines? Are pilots there planning to work there until they die?
4. Most Ryanair pilots have newever worked for other airlines, they're hired straight in and then promoted to captain from within. Hence, they have no idea of working conditions at other airlines.
5. One thing that they don't need to worry about is the airworthiness of the aircraft they're taking in their hands with Ryanair. Well-maintained, new aircraft. That's something you can't take for granted anywhere.
6. Another worry they don't need to think about is job security. It's pretty good at Ryanair unless you mess up too often.
7. Pretty good rosters.
8. Pilots versus management pressure... what airline doesn't have that? Those FR pilots might find there is more pressure at loss-making carriers than there is at FR.

Ryanair pilots don't work harder than other pilots... they just fly more hours per duty period, but it also means they have more days off. The pay is higher than average, so no wonder it takes a team of non-FR staff to form a union.

It's very cheap to bash the cheap airline. Sure, they shake-up the aviation industry in this country, but it's not like the Belgian airlines we have now have anything spectacular to offer. A majority of people in Belgium still don't even know the difference between Sabena and Brussels Airlines, but they sure know Ryanair...

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

SNam wrote:
RTM wrote: I am convinced that the exploitation of personnel, not just pilots btw, at FR can't last, and they shouldn't last. I am not saying it will happen in the near future, bus sooner or later, either actions will break out, or things fall apart due to shortage of personnel...
Well, i am almost daily in contact with FR staff and i am not under the impression that they are exploited. And if they are exploited, then to me they deal with it in a professional way. It is a pleasure to work with them..

Good job Sean!
Thank you :)

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

sean1982 wrote:Standard (non FR) Union talk. Only difference with SN is that they DON'T strike
true because they are not allowed to strike at FR. if they do, they are unemployed the next day

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Aint that a thing of beauty. Striking is not done. There are enough systems in place at FR to negotiate with management.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

I used to work for Ryanair and sorry but I wonder witch system are in place to negociate with managment.
O'leary himself say, if you dońt like it, just leave it... if this is not a proof of dictature...