Ryanair in 2014

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

tolipanebas

Re: Ryanair in 2014

Post by tolipanebas »

So in short: another non-telling press conference.
It seems to have become a habbit with FR's press conferences for Belgium since the start of this year.
But then, the market in BRU isn't exactly reacting as expected either, is it? ;)

The most interesting element is to hear ryanair label its own average basic fares from BRU as 'not really low cost' now and who am I to contradict that? For what they only offer their passengers in BRU in return for that kind of money, I think they are incredibly overpriced indeed.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Well, it depends on when you book and want to fly: for day returns and last minute bookings FR has most of the time the better deals.
But if you book well in advance... I'm sure SN can have good deals.
Especially if one manages to book SN round trip for 69€, for sure whoooaaa!
Only I never ever found that deal on routes and days that I needed to fly...

This said, I completely agree that MOL must have imagined the expansion in BRU to go quicker than 1 route extra...

Cheers,

Stij

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

I don't think that they're planning to increase their pax numbers by 20% with only these 5 new routes.
With year-round daily frequency, the best they can do with those 5 routes is a 10% increase.
So I would worry about which other routes they're going to open to achieve that increase in traffic. I also don't exclude that more routes won't be transferred from CRL to BRU...

I don't think that it's time for SN to show its cocky side Tolipanebas, it's time to get to work to make sure you can prove FR wrong and survive this battle.
I don't know if you realise it, but if MOL wants it, he can shut SN down in no time even if it costs FR a finger or two.

azingrew

Post by azingrew »

Toli, as a former Sabena pilot you let your nostalgia take over your feelings and thus let them blindly destroy all common sense.( how pompous was that !)

Just booked a day trip to Venice for October 13th from BRU to BRU. The choice
Vueling + Ryanair: 112,74 € including seat
reservations ( Vueling on the 1st row !).

Brussels Airlines: 499,-

What do you think the client choose ?

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

tolipanebas wrote: The most interesting element is to hear ryanair label its own average basic fares from BRU as 'not really low cost' now and who am I to contradict that? For what they only offer their passengers in BRU in return for that kind of money, I think they are incredibly overpriced indeed.
You obviously don't understand French - which is usual at SN, judging by your website.
What he says is that the Brussels Airlines 69 euros fare is not really a low-cost fare- and that is right.
I very rarely pay 69 euros for a Ryanair return, most of the time, it is less than that - from 40 euros even. Not to mention that they are (in my case) always day-return fares.
As for the famous "69 euros return" fares of Brussels Airlines, they first have to be found, and (judging by the comments on Facebook, for instance) it's not all that easy. For a day-return, forget it once and for all ...
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Guys, can we please stick to the topic, and stop taking cheap shotss at each other's person? Thank you.

While it is definitely understandable ryanair organised a press conference in Brussels to give their winter offer a little attention boost, it admittedly is not exactly what got expected here either.

And as has already been mentioned quite a few times before, ever since they've started up BRU, they seem to be regularly comming back to Belgium yet always lacking much substance: could it indeed be that they are a bit surprised to see the way the market moves and are taking a more cautious approach by taking the foot of the pedal? after all, their decision for BRU wasn't exactly one of the hart either, it was IAG's decision to launch Vueling in BRU which forced them to (re)act.

One can't but admit that the operational figures posted by their competitors at BRU are not what one would have expected at the start of this year and in it may very well be found the reason why there was no usual 'summer is going to be so stong, we have to add capacity asap around Spring', nor in fact anything substantial for this winter too now, it seems.

It's no shame not to be a kamikaze manager of course, so an evidence based cautious approach which we see here is making much sense, IMHO.

In this perspective, we'll see what they do next summer, but they better base another few planes over in BRU and double the number of dots and flights, because given the past summer figures, I should think that B.air is going to continue on their summer expansion path too, especially as they will then have the new fare classes available for those extra flights, and vueling seems to be doing really well too, so I think that BRU may already count on excellent figures for 2015 (and maybe start building extra facilities for it in case some of their managers read this, because the A pier is getting way too small in the morning)!

Squelsh

Post by Squelsh »

airazurxtror wrote: As for the famous "69 euros return" fares of Brussels Airlines, they first have to be found, and (judging by the comments on Facebook, for instance) it's not all that easy. For a day-return, forget it once and for all ...
I just gave their website a try and found a Bru-Vilnius return for 68 euros.. Difficult? Found it within 3 minutes. Guess the stupidity of facebook contacts isn't always a reference..

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Inquirer wrote:Guys, can we please stick to the topic, and stop taking cheap shotss at each other's person? Thank you.

While it is definitely understandable ryanair organised a press conference in Brussels to give their winter offer a little attention boost, it admittedly is not exactly what got expected here either.

And as has already been mentioned quite a few times before, ever since they've started up BRU, they seem to be regularly comming back to Belgium yet always lacking much substance: could it indeed be that they are a bit surprised to see the way the market moves and are taking a more cautious approach by taking the foot of the pedal? after all, their decision for BRU wasn't exactly one of the hart either, it was IAG's decision to launch Vueling in BRU which forced them to (re)act.

One can't but admit that the operational figures posted by their competitors at BRU are not what one would have expected at the start of this year and in it may very well be found the reason why there was no usual 'summer is going to be so stong, we have to add capacity asap around Spring', nor in fact anything substantial for this winter too now, it seems.

It's no shame not to be a kamikaze manager of course, so an evidence based cautious approach which we see here is making much sense, IMHO.

In this perspective, we'll see what they do next summer, but they better base another few planes over in BRU and double the number of dots and flights, because given the past summer figures, I should think that B.air is going to continue on their summer expansion path too, especially as they will then have the new fare classes available for those extra flights, and vueling seems to be doing really well too, so I think that BRU may already count on excellent figures for 2015 (and maybe start building extra facilities for it in case some of their managers read this, because the A pier is getting way too small in the morning)!

In the mean time slots have been requested from BRU to LPL ... And according to what I heard that is just the tip of the iceberg ;)

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Indeed, Liverpool got mentioned here, but wasn't repeated today: why not, in fact?
Isn't it going to start end of october then?

Personally, I didn't expect new routes to be announced, I thought this press release was going to be more focussed on the new business tickets given the function of the host within the company, but I read no reference to that either?

Another thing for which I didn't find a suitable place to post it yet, so maybe I'll do it here?
We got approached here at work by somebody trying to push the new corporate product or ryanair, but honnestly, it was all pretty amateuristic, to say it kindly. Your management is really going to have to be more receptive to external imputs, demands and comments, because they seem to be convinced their new product equals flex&fast of Brussels Airlines, whereas as I have tried to point out to you already some time ago, it really is just light&relax, but more expensive? The fact we had this discussion some time ago surprised me, and made me wonder this must clearly be some sort of a company wide (mis)conception then?
I know I was only half successful in convincing you and I don't know if our procurement officer managed to bring the message across that despite there being also a flex class at Brussels airlines, light now has day flexibility too despite it not being part of its product name, but I'd advice your sales and product management teams to read and study competitor's products before making comparisons used for customer presentations, because this is really sloppy work and doesn't score you any points, you know, quite on the contrary: it's painful when you are have to be told by a potential customer that the market prospection you come with, is outdated and flat out wrong even. :(

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

azingrew wrote:Just booked a day trip to Venice for October 13th from BRU to BRU. The choice
Vueling + Ryanair: 112,74 € including seat reservations (Vueling on the 1st row !).

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Vueling seems to have just one daily direct flight from Brussels to Venice:
VY-8950 BRU-VCE 06h55-08h35
VY-8951 VCE-BRU 09h25-11h05
Correct me if I’m wrong, but a journey time of 50 minutes at Venice seems to be very short to be called a “day trip to Venice”.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Vueling’s “row 1” is not available in Basic Tariff, only in the more expensive “Excellence Tariff” (min. 149,99 one-way, thus making your 114,74 Euro difficult to get).

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Ryanair doesn’t seems to offer a “day trip to Venice” on 13th October. Their only direct flight BRU-TSF is an evening flight at 19h20 (FR-2935 BRU-TSF 19h20-21h00), with an aircraft coming from Treviso: FR-2936 TSF-BRU 17h15-18h55.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Passenger wrote:
azingrew wrote:Just booked a day trip to Venice for October 13th from BRU to BRU. The choice
Vueling + Ryanair: 112,74 € including seat reservations (Vueling on the 1st row !).

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Vueling seems to have just one daily direct flight from Brussels to Venice:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Ryanair doesn’t seems to offer a “day trip to Venice” on 13th October. Their only direct flight BRU-TSF is an evening flight at 19h20 (FR-2935 BRU-TSF 19h20-21h00), with an aircraft coming from Treviso: FR-2936 TSF-BRU 17h15-18h55.
What of it ?
You can go spend a day in Venice by departing with the early morning Vueling flight to VCE, coming back with the evening Ryanair flight from Treviso. Very easy and convenient, I did it one month ago.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

airazurxtror wrote:
Passenger wrote:

What of it ?
You can go spend a day in Venice by departing with the early morning Vueling flight to VCE, coming back with the evening Ryanair flight from Treviso. Very easy and convenient, I did it one month ago.
Try to book a Vueling First Row at less then 149,99 Euro. Good luck (azingrew paid 112,74 in total)

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

I paid Vueling 36,04 euros + 6,17 for seat 29F - Ryanair 27,53 euros + 5 for seat 31F; grand total 74,74 euros.
I am of normal height, I don't need row 1 - I just like to be sure and have a seat at a window to take pics.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

airazurxtror wrote:I paid Vueling 36,04 euros + 6,17 for seat 29F - Ryanair 27,53 euros + 5 for seat 31F; grand total 74,74 euros.
I am of normal height, I don't need row 1 - I just like to be sure and have a seat at a window to take pics.
Agree - I won't pay it either, 150 € for Y seat 1A, just for one leg.

However, "azingrew" paid 112,74 € for a return ticket BRU-BRU, including Vueling's First Row. Wouold be great if he/she could tell how to waive that 149,99 surcharge...
Vueling + Ryanair: 112,74 € including seat reservations ( Vueling on the 1st row !).

azingrew

Post by azingrew »

the ticket was of course a combination of Vueling and Ryanair duh !

How to waive the surcharge ? I guess being a travel agent has its advantages..Lol

Stij

Post by Stij »

airazurxtror wrote:I paid Vueling 36,04 euros + 6,17 for seat 29F - Ryanair 27,53 euros + 5 for seat 31F; grand total 74,74 euros.
True! Ryanair and Vueling were so kind to spread there flights!
Of topic: how was the Alilaguna? So much more... "Venice" than the Terravision bus, isn't it?

Cheers,

Stij

Stij

Post by Stij »

azingrew wrote:the ticket was of course a combination of Vueling and Ryanair duh !

How to waive the surcharge ? I guess being a travel agent has its advantages..Lol
Dear Azingrew,

Might I suggest that in the future you add this critical piece of information when comparing fares? ;-)

Cheers,

Stij

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

It also means that the SN price was a travel agent price, so the comparison still stands.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Sean,

Nope, is the normal fare of today, just checked it on SN's website!
The comparison is wrong.

Cheers,

Stij

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

When Ryanair pretends in its press release that it provides 1,600 on-site jobs at Brussels airport and 4,900 on-site jobs at Charleroi airport, I am very much in doubt; there are hardly 1,000 workers on-site at Charleroi.
André
ex Sabena #26567