Ryanair at Brussels Airport

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Re: Ryanair at Brussels Airport

Post by Atlantis »

Inquirer wrote:Hi atlantis!

I read that ryanair indeed didn't talk to BRU about their plans before and now expects to engage in talks with the airport about 'their needs'.

Since you are pretty well up to speed with all that, what's your take on this?

Will BRU be accomodative to all those needs and are there in fact possibilities like extra easyjetstyle gates, or is BRU going to have a serious problem at its hands with this?

I have seen their CEO say ryanair just doesn't fit their commercial strategy, which I think is a fairly bold statement to make before you know the plans, yet given the destinations announced today, Indeed I don't think BRU will jump of joy to see them compete with vueling as they are very much preferred by BRU, probably because they come with more incentives (IAG group and stuff).

What's your take on that matter?
Hi Inquirer,

Of course BRU was aware of the FR plans. They can't deploy this whole thing into the media, put it on their website to tell the people the day after that it was all publicity and a joke. Of course with FR you never know, but not this time.

But again, BRU had to know this as it is not only one destination but 10 and 4 based aircrafts.

As a new airline at the airport they have of course the benefits like every other new one + also for the destinations. The benefits for the destinations is not that high as they don't offer a whole new destination, they will fly on excisting destinations.

Although I can understand the BRU "fear" in this. It is direct competition with the main carrier which they have also intrest in and huge competition with Vueling who announced only some weeks ago to increase drastically at BRU.

But the prices FR will offer will be of course higher then when they fly from regional airports. Taxes are higher at BRU so they have to pay it also. Of course, we will never know how the contracts will be made between the two and also not with the other ones.

So, we will see how things will turn out in a couple of months but I think that there is a strategy of FR behind this: SN complaints about unfair competition with FR, BRU complaints towards the EU about the subsidy of CRL, etc. There is much more FR will proof then only offering flights out of BRU. My opinion at least.

Pocahontas

Post by Pocahontas »

My guess is that pretty soon they will reduce capacity in CRL. Because also there will be transfer of pax.

crlhub

Post by crlhub »

I think that the management of Ryanair/Vueling and Easyjet are overestimating a bit(or a lot)the potential of the Belgian market for some routes.
We will have for some routes up to 4 or even 5 (counting charters flights as well)different airlines.
And some from BRU and CRL or even LGG/OST for some summer routes.Not even counting on Lille,Eindhoven and Maastricht.....

Big overcapacity even more as it is mainly 'one way',no real tourism from these south destinations coming to Belgium,even less when their respective countries are in deep economic crisis.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Tomskii wrote:The premium airport of Belgium, other than that if you think BRU is a bad airport... right. It's modern, clean, has lots of flights to all parts of the world (or most). And soon it will have the connector which will bring us something to do instead of walking through a long tunnel.

I'm not saying BRU is bad ... far from, I'm just saying it has a loooong way to go if it wants to mean something to it's competitors. Attracting new airlines and bringing more passengers is a move in the good direction.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

crlhub wrote:I think that the management of Ryanair/Vueling and Easyjet are overestimating a bit(or a lot)the potential of the Belgian market for some routes.
We will have for some routes up to 4 or even 5 (counting charters flights as well)different airlines.
And some from BRU and CRL or even LGG/OST for some summer routes.Not even counting on Lille,Eindhoven and Maastricht.....

Big overcapacity even more as it is mainly 'one way',no real tourism from these south destinations coming to Belgium,even less when their respective countries are in deep economic crisis.
I'm quite sure they know they dump serious overcapacity at several of these routes, but with only one reason, push the competition out of the market within one season.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

crlhub wrote:I think that the management of Ryanair/Vueling and Easyjet are overestimating a bit(or a lot)the potential of the Belgian market for some routes.

one way?? Excuse me? All our Spanish flight are ususally 50/50 and on some flights even pre-dominantly Spanish. FR gives people in countries that are in a crisis still the opportunity to fly. Brussels is a very popular destination, you don't wanna know how many Brussels and brugge tourist guides I see in a day.

Pocahontas

Post by Pocahontas »

Are you a pilot Sean?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Pocahontas wrote:Are you a pilot Sean?
Nope, Purser and safety and CRM instructor/examiner

Pocahontas

Post by Pocahontas »

Ok thanks.

Tomskii

Post by Tomskii »

sean1982 wrote:
Tomskii wrote:The premium airport of Belgium, other than that if you think BRU is a bad airport... right. It's modern, clean, has lots of flights to all parts of the world (or most). And soon it will have the connector which will bring us something to do instead of walking through a long tunnel.

I'm not saying BRU is bad ... far from, I'm just saying it has a loooong way to go if it wants to mean something to it's competitors. Attracting new airlines and bringing more passengers is a move in the good direction.
Well since we're enclosed by major airports I don't see BRU become a LHR or even LGW for that matter. But yes they do some good steps in the right direction. I just honestly don't see why RYR would be a good step though (but they can't do anything about it..) since the pax that fly them generally don't offer a lot for an airport.. (not buying in shops/restaurants/...)

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Again, I'm sorry to say, that's not true Tomskii. Generally about 1/3 to half of the passengers on the flights (depending on the destination) bring a duty free bag or food on board the aircraft.

Pocahontas

Post by Pocahontas »

Ryanair will kill all airlines in EBBR. Result... EBBR will become a regional airport. A lot of infrastructure for an airport with low traffic then :-) . I think that is why EBBR is not so keen on the arrival of FR.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Pocahontas wrote:Ryanair will kill all airlines in EBBR. Result... EBBR will become a regional airport. A lot of infrastructure for an airport with low traffic then :-) . I think that is why EBBR is not so keen on the arrival of FR.
No they wont ... airports like LGW, AMS, DUB, MAN, MAD etc ... have already shown that LCC and legacy are able to go hand-in-hand, one does not exclude the other.

Pocahontas

Post by Pocahontas »

For my family and myself, I hope you are right :-)

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Pocahontas wrote:For my family and myself, I hope you are right :-)
So do I for you

b720

Post by b720 »

Flights to FCO from BRU are already for sale!!! and BRU says they have not been approached by FR???

starting FEB 27 2014

dep BRU

09:40 and 19:55

dep FCO

07:00 and 17:15

prices staring at 48.99 EUR O.W.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

b720 wrote:Flights to FCO from BRU are already for sale ... starting FEB 27 2014
The fact that Ryanair already sells tickets doesn't mean that they already have the slots they want.

Apart from the use of the runways that Brussels Airport legally has to offer them, general conditions will apply, and Ryanair will have to accept these conditions. Example: each airline must allow passengers to take tax free bags onboard, and that will be more then Ryanair now allows (the one little bag for one bottle and one box of chocolate). The rent of the tax free shops at BRU is partially based upon a commission on their sales - meaning that passengers must be able to take onboard what they buy.
Ryanair Announces Brussels Zaventem Base
The name of the airport is Brussels Airport, not Brussels Zaventem. Just like Charleroi is Brussels South Charlerloi Airport, and not "Brussels Charlerloi" as they intend to use. So if Ryanair indeed is going to use Brussels Airport, I'm sure that Brussels Airport will ask them to amend "Brussels Charleroi" - or the more obvious name for passengers: "Charleroi".

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Passenger wrote:
b720 wrote:Flights to FCO from BRU are already for sale ... starting FEB 27 2014
The fact that Ryanair already sells tickets doesn't mean that they already have the slots they want.

Apart from the use of the runways that Brussels Airport legally has to offer them, general conditions will apply, and Ryanair will have to accept these conditions. Example: each airline must allow passengers to take tax free bags onboard, and that will be more then Ryanair now allows (the one little bag for one bottle and one box of chocolate). The rent of the tax free shops at BRU is partially based upon a commission on their sales - meaning that passengers must be able to take onboard what they buy.
Ryanair Announces Brussels Zaventem Base
The name of the airport is Brussels Airport, not Brussels Zaventem. Just like Charleroi is Brussels South Charlerloi Airport, and not "Brussels Charlerloi" as they intend to use. So if Ryanair indeed is going to use Brussels Airport, I'm sure that Brussels Airport will ask them to amend "Brussels Charleroi" - or the more obvious name for passengers: "Charleroi".
FR already allow passengers to take 2 bags on board. 90 big bags will be allowed on board, the rest will be placed in the hold free of charge. Plenty of space for duty free.

b720

Post by b720 »

Someone who claims to work or will work at Skyshops Duty free at BRU. Calling FR pax rude and retarded?
This is a kind of person who is not supposed to be employed anywhere!!
On a different note, with those frequencies, prices, and enhanced services.. sounds like B.LITE to me, for a fraction of the price!! FR will most probably expand aggressively out of BRU, with more destinations..RIP SN!