Ryanair at Brussels Airport

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

fcw

Re: Ryanair in 2013

Post by fcw »

Inquirer wrote: did I read that date right? December 2014????
That's more than a year from now????
That can't be, can it? :(
NO, the base at FCO opens with 6 aircraft on 18 December 2013 rising to 12 aircraft in less than a year from now.

fcw

Post by fcw »

Inquirer wrote:
fcw wrote:They don't need to change the model to survive, but they do need to change it to permit a continuous growth. This growth can only be realised by killing others and the targets have clearly been identified.
Let's not fall in the trap of dramatizing, shall we?
You were the one dramatizing it, by stating FR need to drastically change in order to survive.
Well they don't! The need to operate into other markets in order to permit continuous growth. However there is no more room for natural growth. The survival of the fittest has started!

On a side note: MOL is about to announce some personal news as well, so start making up your spin.

cathay belgium

Re: Ryanair at Brussels Airport

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

A base with six planes and no new plane arrivals...
Which bases will loose aircraft or will be closed? MST-EIN-LIL-CRL?
Future deliveries of aircraft just after this year no?

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

fcw wrote: You were the one dramatizing it, by stating FR need to drastically change in order to survive.
Well they don't! The need to operate into other markets in order to permit continuous growth. However there is no more room for natural growth.
Well excuse me, then, I certainly didn't mean to do that.
What I mean to say is that due to financial obligations with others (e.g. Boeing) a company like Ryanair MUST grow, which you seem to rightfully subscribe to, too.
Not more, not less.
fcw wrote:On a side note: MOL is about to announce some personal news as well, so start making up your spin.
My personal bet is that he's going to announce a date at which he steps down from the active management of the company and will take up a more passive board function instead.
It would make sense too, given the U-turn ryanair has made in recent months as there are too many painful comments from him around notably on high fee airports and the airlines operating there (which his airline is somehow going to have to morph into as well in order to pay all those fees).
The fact a strategic reorientation is mosly accompanied by a change of CEO is something I have already hinted at 'in tempore non suspecto', so it would be cool if I were to be shown right on that.
Not that it matters greatly, for me, but since you've asked it, I tell you.
Last edited by Inquirer on 26 Nov 2013, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

cathay belgium wrote:A base with six planes and no new plane arrivals...
Which bases will loose aircraft or will be closed? MST-EIN-LIL-CRL?
The main Ryanair bases have a slowdown in winter, thus the planes could come from everywhere, including CRL, STN, DUB, etc...
André
ex Sabena #26567

fcw

Post by fcw »

Inquirer wrote:
fcw wrote:On a side note: MOL is about to announce some personal news as well
My personal bet is that he's going to announce a date at which he steps down from the active management of the company and will take up a more passive board function instead.
It would make sense too, given the U-turn ryanair has made in recent months as there are too many painful comments from him around notably on high fee airports and the airlines operating there (which his airline is somehow going to have to morph into as well in order to pay all those fees).
The fact a strategic reorientation is mosly accompanied by a change of CEO is something I have already hinted at 'in tempore non suspecto', so it would be cool if I were to be shown right on that.
Not that it matters greatly, for me, but since you've asked it, I tell you.
:shh: :shh: And I pointed out to you that already 5 years ago he announced he would retire in 2012 or 2013.
Last edited by fcw on 26 Nov 2013, 17:25, edited 5 times in total.

appel

Post by appel »

I'm wondering the same.
There were rumors to increase CRL to over 20 aircraft (16 past summer) and Dub to 28 (20 past summer)
If that's the case there will definitely be bases that will be closed or reduced heavily.
LIL isn't a base btw.

If there will be more routes to BRU it will be from other capitals/big cities like MAD, BCN, DUB,

I read e few weeks ago that MoL already gave more functions to his deputy and will be less in the media himself

fcw

Post by fcw »

appel wrote:I'm wondering the same.
There were rumors to increase CRL to over 20 aircraft (16 past summer) and Dub to 28 (20 past summer)
If that's the case there will definitely be bases that will be closed or reduced heavily.
LIL isn't a base btw.
Don't forget new aircraft are being delivered every month!

teach

Post by teach »

fcw wrote: Don't forget new aircraft are being delivered every month!
No they're not. Last delivery of a new aircraft to FR was in December 2012. Next delivery will only be in about a year, IIRC.

appel

Post by appel »

Yes the first new delivery will be in October 2014 and before that there will be another 6 aircraft leaving.

fcw

Post by fcw »

teach wrote:
fcw wrote: Don't forget new aircraft are being delivered every month!
No they're not. Last delivery of a new aircraft to FR was in December 2012. Next delivery will only be in about a year, IIRC.
:oops: Sorry, indeed 2014...

Unilitha2

Post by Unilitha2 »

Little by little FSNCs and LCCs are getting to a convergence point: FSNCs are increasing optionnal features such as seat reservation, snacks, baggages, etc,... while LCCs start applying simplified HUB business models close to those in use at FSNCs.

Ryanair was first to understand that reducing the quality and scope of services did not necessary mean to fail, several LCCs then followed and now that the crisis has last for more than 5 years and that price is become an even more important decision factor FSNCs have no choice but to follow the same path.

This is pure speculation but at unchanged economic situation we could see a European market made of only hybrid airlines: going half-way LCCs in terms of on-board and pre-flight services to lower the costs and attract tourists for FSNCs and half-way FSNCs with some significant hubs in important cities of Europe to attract more business travellers. For the former it is about survival, for the latter it is indeed about growing but also about keeping market shares for Ryanair.

crlhub

Post by crlhub »

Very funny press release from Brussels airport(in french only for the moment):
They do not want FR to fly from BRU..but they are forced to accept them.
This story is becoming a big joke.Who is going to believe them?

http://www.lanouvellegazette.be/867508/ ... -vols-depu

http://www.lalibre.be/economie/libre-en ... 9ffde211cd

In Dutch:

http://www.tijd.be/nieuws/ondernemingen ... .art?ckc=1
Last edited by crlhub on 26 Nov 2013, 20:56, edited 3 times in total.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

MOL indeed said about 5 years ago that he would retire... that the EU would become more problematic and that Ryanair would have to adapt its business model. :D

Cx:
As mentioned, the aircraft will probably come from the winter slowdown, but it also means that FR is planning to reduce other routes for the summer.

Versus Vueling and U2:
I don't think that FR is playing defense against Vueling. Vueling is and will be too small to be a threat to Ryanair.
I think that FR is going after the weak legacies and is following Vueling's lead. They will together hurt the weak legacies so much that these will have no option but to give up.

Impact on legacy airlines:
For AZ this is much less of a problem than it is for a smaller carrier such as SN. Especially the fact that SN invested in larger A319/A320 aircraft under its volume strategy, despite having low load factors, will become more and more of a problem. It's too early to say I told you so, but it's no longer a question of "if" but "when".
My Q400 high frequency service proposal seemed too liberal, but at hindsight, it seems that this was much more conservative than the volume strategy. If SN would have adopted this strategy, they could be much more competitive, just as Flybe used to be when they were a Q400-only operator.
If SN are looking to add more A319/A320's, I would stop that immediately and start asking LH to pass on some CRJ's...

Taxes at BRU:
Well BRU is expensive... but I think that the landscape will change very much in the following years. If FR and Vueling put a bit of pressure on SN, SN's chances of surviving the next 2-3 years are not good. At that time, BRU will review its taxes, no doubt.

cnc

Post by cnc »

crlhub wrote:Very funny press release from Brussels airport(in french only for the moment):
They do not want FR to fly from BRU..but they are forced to accept them.
This story is becoming a big joke.Who is going to believe them?

http://www.lanouvellegazette.be/867508/ ... -vols-depu
that is no official statement of Brussels airport.
besides that i haven't heard of any slot requests yet. what is the target STA and STD?

Treeper

Post by Treeper »

well it's obvious to me that FR is searching new ways to grow, or to replace their focus.
and they'll start with FCO, BRU & LIS, where, as said, the weakest 'home' carriers of Western Europe are to be found.

If, really, if, FR is to succeed, I'm sure they won't wait a blimp to expand from BRU and decrease CRL.
Ergo, on short term that is a major problem for SN, which is looking more like a prehistoric monster with no space to manoeuvre itself or it's strategy with the sword of Damocles already hanging by a thread above it's conservative head. The A320-family iso some smaller plane type to replace the Avro fleet will bounce really fast back. Adding 1 longhaul plane/year? Please. Could it be any more slower?
And on the middle-long term this will oppose a problem for CRL.

But how many people work for SN? About 3000 or so? with 3000ish on other firms for them?
And how many for FR? Like 500ish?

Still, no FR-jet has taken the skies from BRU. And lets keep it that way.

danieln

Post by danieln »

It would sound strange to me that MOL would announce his "retirement" in Brussels, and not in his homecountry Ireland.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Here is the reaction of Brussels Airport:

"It is with great surprise that Brussels Airport has learned, through the press, information outlining possible flights from Rome to Brussels operated by Ryanair. Brussels Airport Company and Ryanair have never been in contact about this decision and the low-cost airline has had no negotiations with the airport," said Brussels Airport Tuesday in a statement. "Brussels Airport can only disapprove manoeuvres of Ryanair whose presence at Brussels Airport is not consistent with the development strategy of the airport," adds the airport.

"Brussels Airport is however not able to refuse access to its runways to a European airline. Indeed, European legislation allows any European airline to fly to/from European airports of their choice, provided they obtain the required slots and they pay the rates and charges provided by airports. For Brussels Airport Company, these rates and charges shall be published on its website," adds Brussels Airport.

Strange, if you ask me. Ryanair is now resorting to the same strategy as easyJet and should receive equal treatment. If I am correct, the airport fees are reduced for new entrants and new routes; and additionally, I guess that easyJet does not pay the full rates, as they do not use neither the jet bridges, nor the buses: passengers go directly from the terminal to the plane at the west corner of Terminal A. I can assume that Ryanair will ask for the same advantages.
André
ex Sabena #26567

crlhub

Post by crlhub »

AZ refuses MOL offer to cooperate by any mean:

http://www.lesechos.fr/entreprises-sect ... 632573.php

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

"Ryanair's Michael O'Leary is expected in Brussels on Wednesday for a news conference at which he will provide details of the company's Belgian plans."

Where is the news conference? in Brussels aiport? Is MOL coming by plane?
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com