Ryanair at Brussels Airport

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

appel

Ryanair at Brussels Airport

Post by appel »

Ryanair to start daily flights to BRU (not CRL)

Ryanair just released on their website that they will start daily flights from FCO to BRU together with BCN and domestic flights. No dates are given for the start of the BRU flights.
They will also base 6 aircraft in FCO to open up space in CIA for more international flights.

Full release:
viewtopic.php?p=289475#p289475
http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/ryanair- ... -sept-2014

quixoticguide

Re: Ryanair in 2013

Post by quixoticguide »

So BRU-FCO is operating by 4 airlines? AZ,SN,FR and VY? Who will survive?
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Although Ryanair claims that they want to cooperate with Alitalia in FCO, this looks more like the last stroke in the back of Alitalia.

You ask who will survive? Alitalia is the most likely to bite the dust!
André
ex Sabena #26567

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sn26567 wrote:Although Ryanair claims that they want to cooperate with Alitalia in FCO, this looks more like the last stroke in the back of Alitalia.

You ask who will survive? Alitalia is the most likely to bite the dust!
Vueling: +24 new routes (including domestic monopoly routes of AZ) and now Ryanair... This is hitting AZ where it hurts, in the core of their network. AF-KL pulls back from financial support, IAG(Vueling) and Ryanair come in to get AZ on their knees...

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

indeed, André.

I wonder if this is a genuine offer which is currently being talked through with Alitalia, or if it is just the typical screem for attention.

Until 6 months ago, I wouldn't even have asked it, but given the strategic reorientation ryanair is currently forced to undertake by the rapidly changing market and their disappointing financial results, the first option isn't completely to be excluded either as there's something to gain for both parties.

Ryanair definitely has to catch up with certain service oriented competitors which are giving it a run for its money, and some of them are active in the business of offering connecting flights (vueling and germanwings for instance), so it must either be starting to do the same, or alternatively become a regional feeder for another airline if it isn't to be left behind.

I have a very strong feeling easyjet is just a couple of steps away from turning its biggest bases into true hubs in order to match vueling and germanwings on this front, but since ryanair is predominantly based at secondary airports whick lack facilities for such kind of operations, they may not have any other option but to go the path of playing the role of being a regional feeder airline, in which case this could be a genuine offer from them?

Just my uneducated opinion, all this.

Ricard

Post by Ricard »

Ryanair also confirmed the 6 aircraft allocated to this new Rome Fiumicino base will also offer daily business flights to Brussels (Zaventum) and Barcelona (El Prat).

I would love to read the first passenger reviews of those business men( read eu-commission, etc...), we carry in b-flex, with 3 pieces of handluggage each + winter wardrobe switching to FR from/to FCO...

epsilon

Post by epsilon »

From Twitter:
@DaveKeating Michael O'Leary 2make "significant announcement" tomorrow in Brussels on Ryanair's relationship w/ Belgium"

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Ryanair at BRU at long last !
It's a long time we were awaiting that, without much hope - and, then, suddenly, the good news ! Fantastic !
(I mean, a good news for us, the Brusselaars - not so good for AZ or SN, nor for CRL ... )
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

Brussels Airport valt compleet uit de lucht. ‘Wij weten hier niets van. We zullen zien wat Ryanairs plannen zijn. Ze zijn welkom, maar dan wel aan dezelfde voorwaarden als de andere luchtvaartmaatschappijen’, zegt woordvoerder Jan Van der Cruysse.
It seems that Brussels Airport is not aware about the plans of Ryanair.
Ryanair is welcome but at the same conditions as the other airlines.
Best regards,

Airbuske

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

airbuske wrote:
Brussels Airport valt compleet uit de lucht. ‘Wij weten hier niets van. We zullen zien wat Ryanairs plannen zijn. Ze zijn welkom, maar dan wel aan dezelfde voorwaarden als de andere luchtvaartmaatschappijen’, zegt woordvoerder Jan Van der Cruysse.
It seems that Brussels Airport is not aware about the plans of Ryanair.
Ryanair is welcome but at the same conditions as the other airlines.
Wonder how much pain it will do to pay 25 euro (or more) in airport fees and not be able to complain about it?

I guess Ryanair must be really feeling the impact of airlines like vueling much more than we have imagined so far to be willing to agree to BRU's terms?

Just shows you BIAC was right not to build a low cost terminal, as those airlines are perfectly willing to pay the full price too, if they are made to.

crlhub

Post by crlhub »

270 airports are concerned by the EU action:

http://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-fin ... lette.html

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Whaaaaat? FR in BRU? Significant announcement by MOL in Brussels? A BRU base?
This deserves a new topic!!!

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

It seems that they would like to change their business model.
They are talking about 3 daily flights, 21 flights / week.
Best regards,

Airbuske

b720

Post by b720 »

Yes, Daily flights to BRU from FCO. News posted on FR's own website. Service to BRU starts Dec. 18th 2014.
SN must move their A** right NOW before it is too late!

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

airbuske wrote:It seems that they would like to change their business model.
They need to, because it's rapidly becoming obvious that ryanair can't survive the way they operate today as other more sophisticated no frill airlines are succeeding and force it to offer prices which are no longer covering the costs.

The pace at which it is happening is surprising for me though, but after their lastest profit warning (in fact they admitted expecting to lose more than 100M over the next 6 months), it became clear something radical had to be done swiftly and as always, they don't disappoint.

I'd expect ryanair to become a kind of easyjet over time, which seems to be today's benchmark airline for all.

Atlantis

Ryanair new flights to Brussels Airport

Post by Atlantis »

This deserve indeed a totally new topic.

Via TM, Travel Magazine, I could read that Ryanair gave today much more detail to TM.

Ryanair will operate 3 flights a day to/from Brussels Airport to Rome Fiumicino. So we speak about 21 flights a week. The news is confirmed by Ryanair to TM.

Ryanair is feeling the hot breath of Easyjet and Vueling out of Brussels Airport.
Ryanair also changed lately its commercial position to attract an other kind of public and to offer "more service".

Tomorrow they will give much more details.

Question of course is: competition is good for pax but the airlines will suffer . So we will see in the near future the effect of it.
But at least the landscape is changing.

fcw

Post by fcw »

Inquirer wrote: I guess Ryanair must be really feeling the impact of airlines like vueling much more than we have imagined so far to be willing to agree to BRU's conditions
FR, U2, VY, are all massively increasing there flights to FCO, LIS and BRU.
The LCC's have reached the border of their niche. To permit further growth they need to expand their niches. They are now strong enough to kick some legacy carriers out off the market and they are clearly after the weakest ones.
The forecasted drop in oilprice might keep some of the high fare airlines alive a bit longer than expected, but by the end of next winter the sky will look different over LIS, FCO and BRU.

fcw

Post by fcw »

Inquirer wrote:
airbuske wrote:It seems that they would like to change their business model.
They need to, because it's rapidly becoming obvious that ryanair can't survive the way they operate today as other more sophisticated no frill airlines are succeeding and force it to offer prices which are no longer covering the costs.

The pace at which it is happening is surprising for me though, but after their lastest profit warning (in fact they admitted expecting to lose more than 100M over the next 6 months), it became clear something radical had to be done swiftly and as always, they don't disappoint.

I'd expect ryanair to become a kind of easyjet over time, which seems to be today's benchmark airline for all.
They don't need to change the model to survive, but they do need to change it to permit a continuous growth. This growth can only be realised by killing others and the targets have clearly been identified.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

fcw wrote:They don't need to change the model to survive, but they do need to change it to permit a continuous growth. This growth can only be realised by killing others and the targets have clearly been identified.
Let's not fall in the trap of dramatizing, shall we?

There has been a clear shift in strategy at ryanair and to underpin their new strategy, they have selected a few routes where to first roll it out, but unless tomorrow they announce say 10 or 20 such routes at BRU, it's not going to have a material impact on others, not for the near future at least, so I don't think CRL is at immediate risk of being closed down, nor is B.airlines or vueling for the matter.

Anyway, did I read that date right? December 2014????
That's more than a year from now????
That can't be, can it? :(

teach

Post by teach »

Inquirer wrote:Anyway, did I read that date right? December 2014????
That's more than a year from now????
That can't be, can it? :(
No, it can't, and it isn't. It's December 18th 2013, not 2014.