Brussels Airlines : pilots strike looming

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sean1982

Re: Brussels Airlines : pilots strike looming

Post by sean1982 »

Air Key West wrote:
sean1982 wrote:I have in the past and will in the future said/say no to a lot of things and have refused stuff what has always been excepted by my employer
OK. Can you give us a few examples ?
No, the negotiations I have with my employer about my working conditions are none of your business
Air Key West wrote:Anyway, people who are responsible for the lifes of (hundreds) of other people MUST be able to do their job well rested and in good conditions. Absence of tiredness and undue stress are two of many pre-requisites for pilots being able to fly us (including you) safely to our destination (especially when the flying gets rough ;
how many aborted landings have you had because of extremely bad weather or ATC mistakes, for instance ? I have experienced a few and on two occasions at least I was EXTREMELY impressed how the pilots handled them). When you've witnessed this a number of times, you can only admit that pilots deserve good pay and working conditions. Failing to admit that is just bad faith.
sean1982 wrote:I've got news for you: there are A LOT of people who work A LOT harder than most pilots for A LOT less money
I've got news for you, too : there are A LOT of people who work A LOT LESS harder than pilots for A LOT MORE money....and they don't have the lifes of (hundreds) of people (including yours) in their hands.

Pilots (and flight attendants btw, too, since the latter are primarely there for the pax safety, even if MOL keeps them busy as salespersons during most of the flight time) deserve more than average remuneration for all the reasons fcw has stated here (and which I will not repeat ; re-read them with your glasses on).

As to hurting the airline's image : many airlines have been faced with strikes (LH, forgot them ? Easyjet in France..., just to name two). OK, b.air unlike LH or EZY, is in a difficult financial situation. The pilot's fault ? No, the management's and shareholders' fault ! And as fcw rightly said, if a lot of pilots left b.air for better "skies", it would cost the airline much more in hiring new pilots. Yes, there might be a lot of young pilots waiting/wanting a job. Only, you seem to forget that you don't fly aircraft safely only with young pilots with little experience. There are certainly (international) standards to comply with (e.g. number of hours flown as f/o before being allowed to become a captain).
Experience is extremely precious and has a price tag to it. But you're too young to understand that.
As a safety instructor I am well aware about the primary job of a flight crew member. As an active crewmember I also had my fair share of missed approaches. Passengers always have this impression of it being anextremely difficult and challenging manoeuvre, but ask any pilot and they will confirm it's quite standard.

The point is that flight crew and cabin crew are already extra paid for the responsibilities they have. Compare a pilot's wage to a bus driver or a train driver and see who earns the most. If they are striking for rest than you must mean EXTRA rest. Maybe you don't know that there is a very strict FTL scheme in Europe which ensures that all crew members are entitled to a satisfactory amount of rest in order to perform their duties.

As for experience, that's not directly coupled to age. I've had the pleasure to fly with some extremely competent young captains (30's-40's) and also with some extremely incompetent old ones (50-65).
But you're probably to old to understand that.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Air Key West wrote: I've got news for you, too : there are A LOT of people who work A LOT LESS harder than pilots for A LOT MORE money....and they don't have the lifes of (hundreds) of people (including yours) in their hands.
A train driver can have more than a thousand lifes in his hands; as far as I know, he is not overpaid like pilots.
"A lot of pilots need to have everything on a plate. It's the way pilots are ... they are mollycoddled all their lives. I am amazed some of them can actually fly planes." (Jane Willacy, former manager at "Go", quoted by Barbara Cassani in her book "Go : an airline adventure").
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

B.Inventive

Post by B.Inventive »

sean1982 wrote:
Air Key West wrote:
sean1982 wrote:Maybe you don't know that there is a very strict FTL scheme in Europe which ensures that all crew members are entitled to a satisfactory amount of rest in order to perform their duties.

As for experience, that's not directly coupled to age. I've had the pleasure to fly with some extremely competent young captains (30's-40's) and also with some extremely incompetent old ones (50-65).
But you're probably to old to understand that.

Point 1: European FTL...
Sorry mate but you just lost about all the credibility you had.
Point 2: competency
Absolutely agree, there are blokes who damn well deserve an early shot at command, and there are old ruts who should have never given that...

B.Inventive

Post by B.Inventive »

airazurxtror wrote:
Air Key West wrote: I've got news for you, too : there are A LOT of people who work A LOT LESS harder than pilots for A LOT MORE money....and they don't have the lifes of (hundreds) of people (including yours) in their hands.
A train driver can have more than a thousand lifes in his hands; as far as I know, he is not overpaid like pilots.
"A lot of pilots need to have everything on a plate. It's the way pilots are ... they are mollycoddled all their lives. I am amazed some of them can actually fly planes." (Jane Willacy, former manager at "Go", quoted by Barbara Cassani in her book "Go : an airline adventure").
The fact they even mention it is a 'management' quote completely removes credibility from that quote...

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

B.Inventive wrote:Point 1: European FTL...
Sorry mate but you just lost about all the credibility you had.
Point 2: competency
Absolutely agree, there are blokes who damn well deserve an early shot at command, and there are old ruts who should have never given that...
Would you mind enlighten me what is wrong about european flight time limitations?

cnc

Post by cnc »

airazurxtror wrote:
you have no clue about the subject so shouldn't go and make such posts.
you believe the average SN or JAF pilot earns so much more then a train driver at NMBS? try to inform yourself first.

eagleheart

Post by eagleheart »

And the difference is:

- Plane pilots have to pay for their training and that costs a lot
- train drivers pay nothing and receive their salary during training
:)

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

sean1982 wrote:No, the negotiations I have with my employer about my working conditions are none of your business
So, you are probably one of the very few privileged (like in any dictatorship) who can negotiate and even say NO to the boss.
In favor of quality air travel.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

sean1982 wrote:As for experience, that's not directly coupled to age. I've had the pleasure to fly with some extremely competent young captains (30's-40's) and also with some extremely incompetent old ones (50-65).
If you are a safety instructor and don't know the difference between simple words.... :o

Experience is (mostly) linked to age ; it is always linked to the number of years one has done a particular job. A captain 35 years old (probably flying as a captain for a few years only) doesn't have the experience of a captain who has sat in the left seat for 10, 20 or more years.

Competence is something different. I will agree with you that it happens that some older workers having performed a job for many years can be less competent than younger ones with less experience. But, honestly, admit that among pilots this is really the exception (or perhaps not with the airline you are working for).

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

I'm so sorry, I'm too tired to try and explain this to someone who doesn't work in aviation and consequently doesn't know what I am talking about

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

In other words, you should ask your employer for some extra rest.

What about a Christmas truce ? (which the French nicely call "la trève des confiseurs"). I for myself am taking a Christmas break now.

Merry Christmas to all of you.

Air Key West

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

la trève des confiseurs
Ah, that IS beautiful.
Meilleurs voeux a vous!

CW247

Post by CW247 »

Hello friends,

I noticed that Brussels Airlines are hiring contract Captains and First Officers. Can anybody please tell me in open forum or in private what these means in relation to the recent strike action by pilots?

Thanks