London new airport plans unveiled

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Flanker2

London new airport plans unveiled

Post by Flanker2 »

In my opinion, this is one of the best aviation projects outlined in the past decade.

A UK consortium has outlined plans for a new Thames Estuary airport to replace Heathrow as London’s hub.

The London Britannia airport would boast six runways with a capacity to handle 172 million passengers per year and would operate 24h a day, the Thames Estuary Research and Development Company (Testrad) consortium states.

Built on a “blue brownfield” site to the north of the Isle of Sheppey, the airport would cost £47 billion ($75 billion) and take seven years to construct once local planning approvals had been granted.
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... ed-392842/

The UK can serve as a model of entrepreneurial politics to the rest of the European Union. They have low income tax rates, except for those who make more than enough, yet their government budgets are huge. They have a competitive industry based on know-how and quality, which delivers high added-value. It's a boring country but it's populated by very clever people who can think big.

earthman

Re: London new airport plans unveiled

Post by earthman »

Is that the starship Enterprise on the left?

FlightMate

Post by FlightMate »

What will they then do with Heathrow? Shut it down? BA and their brand new T5 will be disappointed.
What about the other airports in London?

Won't there be noise issues as well?
Or overflying an already noisy city shouldn't be a problem, maybe?

Impressive project nonetheless.

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

FlightMate wrote:What will they then do with Heathrow? Shut it down? BA and their brand new T5 will be disappointed.
What about the other airports in London?

Won't there be noise issues as well?
Or overflying an already noisy city shouldn't be a problem, maybe?

Impressive project nonetheless.
"A spokeswoman said a key point was "separating people from planes" by giving passengers the benefit of air travel but without noise because all aircraft landing and departures would be over the estuary rather than residential areas" (map here: http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/7 ... rompng.jpg)

"opportunities for housing, employment and the economy were huge but Heathrow would probably have to close " (..) "there could be a new London borough in the Heathrow area with 300,000 new houses and about 200,000 new jobs"

"It said the runway configuration would allow three or four aircraft to operate at the same time, 24-hours-a-day in all weather conditions."

BBC News.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

What about all those companies that settle around heathrow because of the quick reach from the airport ?
They will create another conquest of the west, with plenty of cow boys that will speculate on any little peace of land that can receive a building. Good job.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Acid-drop wrote:What about all those companies that settle around heathrow because of the quick reach from the airport ?
They will create another conquest of the west, with plenty of cow boys that will speculate on any little peace of land that can receive a building. Good job.
Not much land available in the middle of the estuary, I'm afraid... ;)
André
ex Sabena #26567

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

sn26567 wrote:
Acid-drop wrote:What about all those companies that settle around heathrow because of the quick reach from the airport ?
Not much land available in the middle of the estuary, I'm afraid... ;)
When going futuristic don't think 2D, under water there is a vast area of empty space :)
They just need a way to clean the water. :lol:

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

London Britannia Airport / Thames Estuary Airport, aka The Thames Estuary Research and Development Company:
http://testrad.co.uk

info brochure new airport (pdf 1,44 Mb):
http://testrad.co.uk/wp-content/uploads ... ochure.pdf

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

How many plans for a new London airport in the Thames estuary since 40 years and the Foulness then Maplin Sands project ?
All of them ending in the wastepaper basket ...
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.