VTM Telefacts 24th Sept: "Ryanair's tricks"

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

fcw

Re: VTM Telefacts 24th Sept: "Ryanair's tricks"

Post by fcw »

Didymus wrote:In my experience, identity checks are rare when boarding a Schengen flight in BRU.
Indeed, as a general rule, identity checks are not required for intra-Schengen flights. The logic being that everybody who passes security is safe and there are no visa requirements for travelling between Schengen countries..
Individual countries can however impose more restricitve rules, some require identity checks for all passengers some only for passengers who carry checked-in bags.
An airline has to comply with the rules of the country of departure, but also with the rules of the country unders whoms AOC it is flying.
That is why you see different rules for different airlines.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:I don't think so .... 20% of the income are fees an ancilliary revenue ... the rest are the fares. Don't dance around the campfire yet
All those surcharges and fees that VTM talked about are not in the 20% "ancilliary revenue" but in the 80% "fares". Ancilliary revenue are the sale of the lotery tickets, the profit on onboard meals & drinks and the commission on car rental and hotel bookings.

The surcharges for excess luggage, forgotten boarding passes and other stuff are primary income, not "ancilliary", and are thus included in the general 80% "fares". So it's useless to use 20/80 as argument, unless you provide also the split up of this 80%.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

nope you are wrong, the 20% DOES include anything that is earned ON TOP of the airfares.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

SCHEDULED revenues: 3,271 million EURO
ancilliary revenues: 803.9 million EURO
total operating revenues: 4074.9 million EURO

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Didymus wrote:In my experience, identity checks are rare when boarding a Schengen flight in BRU.
When you use e-check in and connect on Lufthansa through MUC, you will often use the electronic boarding gates at their own terminal and there's no ID check, just a (self-)scanning of the pass from a print, or your smartphone. I do it almost weekly and it's very very convenient.

As long as everybody is security screened as they should, I don't see a problem with that procedure?

IMHO, ryan air is being a bit too eager to be 'old school' on this still, predominantly for the sake of being able to gain additional revenues from this labour intensive process, which in itself has become pointless.
One shouldn't forget that the extra eyes that check the ID, also check the handluggage's size and other stuff, so my view is the ID check is in fact the last attempt by the company to see if it can make any more money from its passengers, prior them departing on the flight.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

That is what your biased view would say, this however is taken straight from the EU website:

I was denied boarding on a flight within Schengen by the airline staff because I did not carry
a valid ID card or passport. Can they do that?

The systematic border controls that have been abolished within Schengen are those carried out by
border police. Airline companies continue to request proof of identity upon check-in for other
purposes (e.g. to combat terrorism by making sure they know who is boarding the plane), and it is
unsafe to count on their flexibility to accept expired documents or other types of ID.

As per DTTAS requirement all Irish airlines are to verify the identity of their passengers with a valid photo ID for counter terrorism purposes.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sean1982 wrote:That is what your biased view would say
I am fairly disappointed in this personal assault on me, as I've been trying hard to remain subject neutral, although I am a M&M Senator and have a habit of flying Star Alliance airlines indeed.
Note that as a customer, it's not like I own my life to them, quite on the contrary even.

It's an undeniable fact however that ryaniar, which rightfully has always been very vocal about bureaucracy and administrative complexity whenever it is costing them money, is surprisingly quiet and complacent on bureaucratic measures when they allow them to increase revenues from it.

Not wanting to admit this, is a bit childish, IMHO, but whatever: you are perfectly entitled to deny the truth.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

this has nothing to do with bureaucracy but rather with having the chance of flying without having the fear that your aircraft is going to be the target of a terrorist attack. There are a lot of things with regards to airline safety and security that goes on behind the scenes that passengers have no clue about .... and best so ... I think otherwise fear of flying would highly be on the increase. So call me childish, as a security instructor I would call myself knowledgeable

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sean1982 wrote:this has nothing to do with bureaucracy but rather with having the chance of flying without having the fear that your aircraft is going to be the target of a terrorist attack. There are a lot of things with regards to airline safety and security that goes on behind the scenes that passengers have no clue about .... and best so ... I think otherwise fear of flying would highly be on the increase. So call me childish, as a security instructor I would call myself knowledgeable
Congratulations on your professional occupation, but Security isn't so much about who's on board, but what he brings on board, is it? A spelling error isn't exactly my idea of a terroristic threat, if you allow my to be cynical, for once?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

As I said ... there is a lot more going on behind the scenes then what you know about ... I wasn't talking about a spelling error but about the requirement of a photo ID check ...; the spelling error thing I have explained before ... a few years back (when name changes and flights changes were free or cost next to nothing) travel agencies were picking up flights at rock bottom promotional fares with fictive names .... they would then sell those flights at much higher prices and then phone up FR to request a name change. This caused the company to lose out on a lot of money. That's why they have upped the name change and flight change significantly ... as usual the good have to pay for the bad

regi

Post by regi »

This topic is about the interview.
The interview was bearable :)
Some right obvious questions were asked. And a specific spoke person responded , taking in regard the fact that the broadcasting company had to agree beforehand to let this person express his response completely. Which is in fact quite honnest.
I was already surprised that such an interview was allowed .
( when he hammered the table at the end of the interview , I could only think " Duracell Rabbit " )
I am looking forward to the next episode about disgruntled former employees. :twisted:

And about court cases : aloha in the BELGIAN court room, where an ex employee endangers several thousands of Belgian jobs if she wins her case
http://nieuws.vtm.be/binnenland/58971-e ... or-rechter

Spin off detail: a former colleague was asked during the last decisive job interview what would be blocking him from accepting the job. Answer " Being obliged to take Ryanair flights."
Result: the man is appointed.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

regi wrote: And about court cases : aloha in the BELGIAN court room, where an ex employee endangers several thousands of Belgian jobs if she wins her case
http://nieuws.vtm.be/binnenland/58971-e ... or-rechter
Again the so called list of slavery is full of half truths and not mentioned facts. The bruto pay they talk about is acyually flight pay which you receive on top of your basic pay. Taxi's at destination to not have to bpayed ... only when traveling to/from your base airport. And the list goes on .... Enough precedents here ... this case is a waste of money.
regi wrote: Spin off detail: a former colleague was asked during the last decisive job interview what would be blocking him from accepting the job. Answer " Being obliged to take Ryanair flights."
Congrats ... how does that make you feel? :roll:

regi

Post by regi »

sean1982 wrote:
regi wrote:
regi wrote: Spin off detail: a former colleague was asked during the last decisive job interview what would be blocking him from accepting the job. Answer " Being obliged to take Ryanair flights."
Congrats ... how does that make you feel? :roll:
Me? It is a former colleague, not me. I guess my former collegue is happy to get that job.
I your question was ment sarcastic, buzz off.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

like yours wasn't sarcastic? :D

regi

Post by regi »

sean1982 wrote:like yours wasn't sarcastic? :D
no,
I was even starting to come back on the main topic - which most members didn't.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

The topic is about so called ryanair "tricks" ... that's what the whole discussion has been about

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:The topic is about so called ryanair "tricks" ... that's what the whole discussion has been about
Indeed it is. And honnestly, I think that was a good translation (by me) of the title of the VTM program that was called "De dure trucs van goedkoop vliegen":
http://vtm.be/telefacts/ryanair-de-dure ... -vliegen-0

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

a trick is when you lure unknowing people into doing something or seeing something they didn't expect.

a trick is not: sending all information you need to know up to 3 times beforehand and then having them pay the consequence when they don't comply. The rules are there to make the business model work :roll:

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:a trick is when you lure unknowing people into doing something or seeing something they didn't expect. A trick is not: sending all information you need to know up to 3 times beforehand and then having them pay the consequence when they don't comply.
OK, I'm playing golf with Christian Van Thillo, co-owner VTM next Saturday, and I will tell him that VTM has to amend the title from "Ryanair's tricks into "Ryanair's business model".
sean1982 wrote:The rules are there to make the business model work
Agree, but if that business model is "rip off clients through rules", the rules are questionnable.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Passenger wrote:
sean1982 wrote:a trick is when you lure unknowing people into doing something or seeing something they didn't expect. A trick is not: sending all information you need to know up to 3 times beforehand and then having them pay the consequence when they don't comply.
OK, I'm playing golf with Christian Van Thillo, co-owner VTM next Saturday, and I will tell him that VTM has to amend the title from "Ryanair's tricks into "Ryanair's business model".
sean1982 wrote:The rules are there to make the business model work
Agree, but if that business model is "rip off clients through rules", the rules are questionnable.
Tell him with my compliments it was pure garbage ... and I say again customers are not being "ripped off" as our load factors and passengers numbers clearly indicate ... I wonder what's really bothering you to go on this foolish quest against FR