VTM Telefacts 24th Sept: "Ryanair's tricks"

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sean1982

Re: VTM Telefacts 24th Sept: "Ryanair's tricks"

Post by sean1982 »

The only thing it showed was that If you follow the rules you fly cheap and safe ... The perfect commercial

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

fcw wrote: The CEO of Europe's biggest airline is working in a tiny office, makes his own coffee and drinks it plastic cups, I call this an example. Low cost from top to bottom, simples.
So what all CEO have to do is working from a small office, making their own coffee and drink it in a plastic cup and then they will all make a profit. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:Well .... That was a joke
I saw ongoing details and testimonies about the zero margin for surcharges (except one: oneminute after the VTM VTM had to pay 70 Euro because he had forgotten his boarding card, he didn't had to pay for a first name error). But then, he did had to pay 40 Euro's for 2 kg overweight luggage.

I heard two different passengers, complaining about the strict overweight rule (17 kg i.s.o. 15): each 40 Euro surcharge. For just 2 kgs.

I saw one passenger who had to pay a surcharge for a next flight because the check-in closed when he was the next in line. "You are one minute too late".

Other airlines verbally check the hand luggage a first time at the check in counter. Not Ryanair: they do this only at the gate. The reason: there’s no way back then, so all that passengers can do there, is to pay the 60 Euro surcharge. VTM: “Ryanair is well organized for these surcharges: there’s even a Bancontact at the gate desk”.

I saw a Flemish lady who was in Spain, who had to return urgently for a funeral. She booked online, but arrived at the airport without printed boarding pass: 60 Euro surcharge, to be paid cash. Then she had to put her ladies bag into her handbag, which then became oversized: another 40 Euro. She wanted to pay that surcharge, but she was out of cash and Ryanair apparently refuses credit cards in Spain. She then asked the Ryanair staff if to book her in whilst she went to the ATM to collect cash. Reply Ryanair: "you have two minutes". Machine was empty, thus no cash, thus denied boarding. Hotel in Charleroi that night: also lost. Total spoiled: 400 Euro.

I saw how an insurance is still offered as an opt-in, although that’s legally forbitten in the EU. VTM: strange, you have to go the internet page “countries” to void the insurance.

VTM proved what the article in The Daily Mail stated: Ryanair-staff and/or airport staff at airports get commission on every surcharge they can have. And therefore, there is no margin allowed, even if this has dramatic consequences for the passenger, like missing the flight.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

don't know if you're on twitter or not .... but search for #telefacts and see what joe public has to say about this ..... this program was absolute "riooljournalistiek" .... You think if you go to a Bru.Air or a JAF check in with the wrong name on your boarding card, it won't be a problem? or if you go with your bag overweight, it won't be a problem? Or you carry more handluggage the allowed it won't be a problem? .... Not that your biased view matters, just look what twitter people have got to say :)

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sean1982 wrote:Not that your biased view matters, just look what twitter people have got to say :)
I haven't seen it, so I can't judge. But it's no secret that people tend to complain on Twitter, Facebook, fora,... when they are not happy with something or when they do not agree. While people that agree with something, are not even close to be so eager to share their opinion. Something you can also see in travel/restaurant/... reviews, but when talking about TV its even more extreme (only those with an 'extreme' opinion, share it). So I don't know if Twitter is such a good thing to prove you're right.

But to respond to the whole discussion. Actually where this is all about isn't really my problem with Ryanair. Ok I don't like their way of working and 'using' people's stupid actions, but they are a commercial company and they get from it what they can. If they ask you to print your boarding pass and you lose it, that's your problem. What do you expect from Ryanair...

About that wrong name thing. Earlier this year a friend of my was booked on an easyJet flight to London (from Amsterdam) but her first name was wrong, just one letter. She was charged almost 100 euro's to change it (more than the company paid for the ticket itself).

Zero customer service and I don't like it, but is it wrong? I don't think so. I have other problems with RYR than this.
Last edited by RoMax on 25 Sep 2013, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

I dont need to prove anything .... Our pax numbers and load factors speak for themselves

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sean1982 wrote:I dont need to prove anything .... Our pax numbers and load factors speak for themselves
How friendly again. If you didn't want to prove anything, you wouldn't have said anything about Twitter. :roll:
And read the rest of my post (which I started to edit after posting the first part), before you blame me again for being against everything RYR does.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

I didnt blame you of anything ... I can read between lines though. If you havent seen the program I would suggest you see it first, as what they did there would give the same result with any other airline or worse.for example, If you try to check in on a flight to the states with a wrong name you get denied boarding ... And that's that. All their so called arguments where immediatly countered by the CEO with quick sensible answers.

If you call adapting rules towards somebody's personal preference customer service then I would have to strongly disagree. If I get a speeding ticket the judge is not going to change the law to my liking, and that's how it is supposed to be. But here I am waisting time and energy again on a highly biased forum. Stupid me :-/

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sean1982 wrote: If you call adapting rules towards somebody's personal preference customer service then I would have to strongly disagree.
I'm sorry, but this whole discussion is basicly about customer service. Ryanair is doing nothing wrong by law, but they offer zero service. I don't like it as a passenger, but I don't have anything against it from a commercial point of view.
sean1982 wrote: If I get a speeding ticket the judge is not going to change the law to my liking, and that's how it is supposed to be.
Don't know how you come up with that, but what has that to do with aviation (being a commercial sector)...
sean1982 wrote:IIf you try to check in on a flight to the states with a wrong name you get denied boarding ... And that's that.
A wrong name yes, but they'll not be that harsh on a kg more or less in your luggage and especially hand luggage. They'll not charge you tens of Euro's to reprint your boarding pass.
Ryanair has zero margins, while full service airlines do have larger margins (depening on what you are talking about and about the specific airline/handling company) and tend to charge lower prices for all those 'extras'. So again, it all comes down to a service thing, nothing more, nothing less.

cnc

Post by cnc »

sean1982 wrote:I didnt blame you of anything ... I can read between lines though. If you havent seen the program I would suggest you see it first, as what they did there would give the same result with any other airline or worse.for example, If you try to check in on a flight to the states with a wrong name you get denied boarding ... And that's that. All their so called arguments where immediatly countered by the CEO with quick sensible answers.
that is a bunch of crap! in all my years in aviation i have never denied or seen someone being denied for badly spelled name.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

I don't see how people have to pay all these supplements - they must be very stupid.
As for me , although not very bright, I have never had to pay one penny more than the normal price. It's not difficult : just stick to the rules, that's all.
Anyway, that is going to change :

RYANAIR, the discount airline that people love to hate, has promised to transform its “macho and abrupt culture” and turn over a new leaf as a more friendly and customer-focused business. The new strategy will include an overhaul of its website, a new team to respond to emails and a pledge to stop fining customers for carry-on bags that are barely over the size restriction. Plus, it is now on Twitter – @Ryanair.
Our research suggests that if the company were to succeed in improving its customer service (and therefore how consumers regard the brand), it could build upon its market position and take its already formidable success to new heights.
See more at: http://www.cityam.com/article/138006755 ... wVhWz.dpuf
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

airazurxtror wrote:I don't see how people have to pay all these supplements - they must be very stupid.
As for me , although not very bright, I have never had to pay one penny more than the normal price. It's not difficult : just stick to the rules, that's all.
Anyway, that is going to change :

RYANAIR, the discount airline that people love to hate, has promised to transform its “macho and abrupt culture” and turn over a new leaf as a more friendly and customer-focused business. The new strategy will include an overhaul of its website, a new team to respond to emails and a pledge to stop fining customers for carry-on bags that are barely over the size restriction. Plus, it is now on Twitter – @Ryanair.
Our research suggests that if the company were to succeed in improving its customer service (and therefore how consumers regard the brand), it could build upon its market position and take its already formidable success to new heights.
See more at: http://www.cityam.com/article/138006755 ... wVhWz.dpuf
Indeed, rumours go that O'Leary has promised this to his shareholders. But let us remain serious, shall we? It was announced as a change "as from 2014". So this means that the 2013-clients will still be treated as s***. Proofs how honnest his promise is...

(edited -> typo error)
Last edited by Passenger on 25 Sep 2013, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Indeed, even Ryanair is now admitting they are hitting a ceiling when it comes to the number and the amount of fees they can charge to passengers: it's one thing to be known as 'a cheap, but strict airline', but it's a whole different story from a commercial point of view when the public at large starts to see you as 'the airline you can't count on flying for the fare paid at booking', especially if you target passengers travelling on a budget.

The only problem is they have become so dependant on the revenues from all sort of fees and surcharges, that they'll have a very hard time scaling it back. As the revenues from just the boarding pass reprint fee show, they'd have to significantly increase return ticket prices to scrap all extortionary fees, yet their price elasticity is terrible, so their notorious arrogance is beginning to turn into a catch 22 situation for them.
Last edited by tolipanebas on 26 Sep 2013, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

tolipanebas wrote: The only problem is they have become so dependant on the revenues from all sort of fees and surcharges, that they'll have a very hard time scaling it back.
Not at all : a congenial spirit will bring them many new customers.
Quote :"if the company were to succeed in improving its customer service (and therefore how consumers regard the brand), it could build upon its market position and take its already formidable success to new heights."
And I know of at least one belgian airline that would lose quite a few customers ...

And another cause to worry for SN :

Ryanair is aiming to attract business passengers by agreeing to accept American Express cards on its website. The budget airline, which last week vowed to improve its customer service, announced the change of policy today in a move designed to increase bookings from business travellers and corporate travel departments.
Ryanair's change of policy on accepting Amex cards shows that it is now following budget rival Easyjet's strategy of increasing its focus on the corporate market.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/r ... rds-online
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

9vsmu

Post by 9vsmu »

As said before, if you follow the rules there is no problem.

So, now let's compare this to the law.

If you exceed the speed limit and you're caught, you get fined (even at 121km/h on highway)
If you cannot present any legal document (id, drivers licence, ...) when asked, you've got probs.

But you are supposed to know all that when you get your license.

The only difference between most low-cost airlines and "regular" airlines is that they more often apply the ZERO tolerance rule.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

tolipanebas wrote:Indeed, even Ryanair is now admitting they are hitting a ceiling when it comes to the number and the amount of fees they can charge to passengers: it's one thing to be known as 'a cheap, but strict airline', but it's a whole different story from a commercial point of view when the public at large starts to see you as 'the airline you can't count on flying for the fare paid at booking', especially if you target passengers travelling on a budget.

The only problem is they have become so dependant on the revenues from all sort of fees and surcharges, that they'll have a very hard time scaling it back. As the revenues from just the boarding pass reprint fee show, they'd have to significantly increase return ticket prices to scrap all extortionary fees, yet their price elasticity is terrible, so their notorious arrogance is beginning to turn into a catch 22 situation for them.
I don't think so .... 20% of the income are fees an ancilliary revenue ... the rest are the fares. Don't dance around the campfire yet

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

sean1982 wrote: You think if you go to a Bru.Air or a JAF check in with the wrong name on your boarding card, it won't be a problem?
From my own experience flying with JAF to Palma de Mallorca last year, I recollect sitting in the airplane and asking my girlfriend: "Do you remember any identity check?" She replied "No"...not once were we asked to identify ourselves. Not at the check-in, not upon entering airside in Terminal A and not upon boarding...so to answer your question: no, I don't think a wrong name on a JAF boarding card flying Shengen...

Best regards

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

That's even worse :roll:

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Hi sean,

That was also my first gut-reaction and we've had thorought discussions around the subject when a few months ago a minor boarded a JAF airplane while he wasn't even supposed to be on board. However, although that is highly inconvenient - and embarrasing :) - it does not pose a security/safety risk as the identity of the person has no impact on safety/security. What does have a direct impact is what he carries on board and that is uncompromisingly subject to the same procedures as any other flight.

You might find the idea uncomfortable, but it is simply the translation of free transport of persons across European countries applied to aviation. You don't have to prove your identity when crossing the border in your car, do you? Or when boarding a coach driving you to a champaign weekend in Reims? (just a hypothetical example off course :D)

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

In my experience, identity checks are rare when boarding a Schengen flight in BRU.