Name for airplanes

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

DannyVDB

Name for airplanes

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi all,

Yesterday I took a flight of LH from FRA to SIN, as usual it was an A380. I was upgraded to business since economy was overbooked, and I am *Gold/M&M Senator so that gives you usually more chances :D .

By hazard I saw that the plane was named Brüssel ...

Does anyone know the other names of the A380-ies of LH? Are they all cities? Do the A330 of SN also have names? I thin also Thomas Cook gives names for their planes ...

What is usually the logic behind giving those names (I can image names of famous people, ...)?

Cheers,
Danny

Zorba

Re: Name for airplanes

Post by Zorba »

Lufthansa names their A380's to cities around the world. Their other planes are named after famous places. AFAIK Brussels Airlines does not name its aircraft.

There is no real logic, mostly famous places/landmarks/cities/countries. Or emotions like at Jetairfly and Thomas Cook.
Tot hier en verder

BigJets

Post by BigJets »

The first 2 Lufthansa A380 were named "Frankfurt" and "München". Basically all cities are named after Star Alliance hubs.

MSN038, D-AIMA, delivered on May 19th 2010 ("Frankfurt")
MSN041, D-AIMB, delivered on July 19th 2010 ("München")
MSN044, D-AIMC, delivered on August 20th 2010 ("Peking")
MSN048, D-AIMD, delivered on November 16th 2010 ("Tokio")
MSN061, D-AIME, delivered on March 16th 2011 ("Johannesburg")
MSN066, D-AIMF, delivered on April 4th 2011 ("Zürich")
MSN069, D-AIMG, delivered on May 7th 2011 ("Wien")
MSN070, D-AIMH, delivered on July 7th 2011 ("New York")
MSN072, D-AIMI, delivered on May 16th 2012 ("Berlin")
MSN073, D-AIMJ, delivered on June 13th 2012 ("Brüssel")

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

There were plans that the A380 "Brüssel" would come to Brussels.
But for some reason the cancelled the visit.
Best regards,

Airbuske

Jipe

Post by Jipe »

If I remember well, the A-380 named Brussel flight was cancelled due to a strike at Flightcare

Comet

Post by Comet »

VLM used to name aircraft after cities in its route system, the names were rotated between planes so a plane didn't have a name for more than a few months before it was changed, or so it seemed to those of us who used to photograph their aircraft when we saw them :mrgreen:
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hi

Yes naming planes can serve both educational and promotional purposes for an airline of course. It learns or remembers people from abroad to important people of that airlines' country or it's city's or destinations. The choice is to the airline to see if it interesting. There is a small extra cost of course to make and apply (and re-apply after some wile, depending the quality of the sticker and the work done) the stickers.
But it could be nice, always wondered why Brussels Airlines didn't start with that, then again ... there are many airlines who don't as well ... though the bigger airlines (Lufthansa, KLM, Iberia, Alitalia, don't know for sure about Air France,...) often do it.

VLM was the exception in Belgium, as a small airline they DID name their planes, initially to cities in their network however some of the city's where 'outdated' because they don't fly them anymore. 2 of them got a deviating name because of obvious reasons ... 'Spirit of VLM' and 'Spirit of Reenstar'.

Greets, Yannick