Jet Airways out of Brussels

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

DannyVDB

Re: Jet Airways out of Brussels?

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi all,

I don't think there are precise figures, but from what I know it should be more or less like this:

Annually, Jet Airways transports around 600.000 pax (I think it might be a little bit more).

If I understood well (explained some years ago during a visit of their lounge by one of the local managers, so it might have changed):
50% is pax coming from India and going to Canada or the US (transit/transfer) or the other way around.

25% of the pax was local pax, so starting/ending in BRU.

25% of the pax were coming from European, African flights: that would mean 150.000.

However, it is not because these links (Toronto, Newark, Mumbai and Dehli) would disappear all this pax is disappearing: e.g. UA/SN could keep the major part of the people going/coming from New York to Europe/Africa (filling their planes better; bigger planes; adding flights).

I estimate the real loss - overall - to around 200.000. For example, if I would fly to Mumbai, I certainly will not go to Amsterdam and then fly on 9W, but would rather go via FRA or MUN. If they would stay, the direct flight might have been a more realistic option.

Cheers,
Danny

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

Official: no more tickets after 27MAR16. Delhi to Toronto will be flown via Amsterdam.

Source: http://flightlevel.be/49241/officieel-j ... t-brussel/ (Dutch)
Source: http://airlineroute.net/2015/12/14/9w-bru-s16cxld/ (English)

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sdbelgium wrote:Official: no more tickets after 27MAR16. Delhi to Toronto will be flown via Amsterdam.

Source: http://flightlevel.be/49241/officieel-j ... t-brussel/ (Dutch)
Source: http://airlineroute.net/2015/12/14/9w-bru-s16cxld/ (English)
Amsterdam-Toronto is already flown by Air Canada and KLM.

Wonder how low Jet Airways will have to sell to get traffic away from them. That is, if they want some local traffic also.

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

News Release Issued: Dec 14, 2015 (6:44am EST)

Delta and KLM announce codeshare partnership with Jet Airways via Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Extensive commercial co-operation, including codeshare, expands customer choice throughout Indian Sub-continent, Europe and North America

ATLANTA, Dec. 14, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL) and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines will launch a codeshare agreement with India's Jet Airways that brings convenient new travel options for customers flying from Europe and the United States via Amsterdam Airport Schiphol to India and beyond.

Delta and KLM announce codeshare partnership with Jet Airways via Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Effective March 27, 2016 and subject to government approvals, Delta and KLM customers flying from Europe and the United States to Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport will be able to connect onto Jet Airways' new daily flights to New Delhi and Mumbai, with onward destinations that include Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Ahmedabad, Kochi, Goa, Kolkata and Amritsar in India; Dhaka, Bangladesh; Kathmandu, Nepal; and Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Delta and KLM codeshare on these Jet Airways routes will provide customers with co-ordinated customer service, a single ticket and through-check in of bags to their final destinations. Delta SkyMiles and KLM Flying Blue members will be eligible to earn and redeem frequent flyer miles on codeshare routes operated by Jet.

In addition, Jet Airways will place its code on flights between Amsterdam and 11 destinations in the United States and Canada operated by Delta and KLM. These include: New York-JFK, Newark, Chicago, Washington D.C., Houston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Edmonton. Jet Airways will also codeshare on KLM-operated flights to 30 European destinations beyond Amsterdam including Madrid, Zurich and Milan. KLM's service between Amsterdam and New Delhi also forms part of this agreement.

"Delta is committed to offering customers greater choice and a high standard of service. By partnering with Jet Airways, India's preferred premier full service, international network airline, we will be able to meet demand for flights to India and beyond," said Nat Pieper, Delta's Senior Vice President – Europe, Middle East and Africa. "We have a track record of building successful partnerships with international carriers that broaden our global network and we are delighted to be opening up the Indian subcontinent to the many thousands of Delta customers wanting to fly to this region."

Pieter Elbers KLM president and CEO: "The co-operation with Jet Airways is another milestone in our unique global flight network from Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. This strategic step will deliver significant benefits to our business and provide KLM customers with exclusive travel opportunities. Plus we will strengthen our presence in the Indian domestic region and their neighbourhood."

Cramer Ball, Chief Executive Officer, Jet Airways, said: "Jet Airways' new services to Amsterdam and partnership with KLM and Delta demonstrates our continuous endeavour to provide greater choice and connectivity to our guests. With Amsterdam Airport Schiphol as our new European gateway, we will be able to provide our guests with one stop access to a wider array of destinations across Europe and North America together with our partners KLM and Delta. Jet Airways' award winning service on board the state-of-the-art Airbus A330-300 aircraft from Mumbai and Delhi to Amsterdam offers a great proposition for our guests flying to Europe and North America."

Delta and KLM offer up to 19 peak-day services to Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport from 21 destinations in the United States and Canada. For further information and to book flights between the United States and India please log onto delta.com or klm.com.

b720

Post by b720 »

Interesting times for BRU, SN,AC, and UA.

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

Sad to see them leaving.... That will be weird not to see any Jet airways aircraft after 9 years at BRU. But ok after the partnership between Etihad and Air France-KLM this was foreseen. Let's hope BRU is doing their job good! And find some other carriers for this lost routes..

SN/AC to Toronto?
SN/UA to Newark (2x daily)?
SN/AI to Mumbai?

I think we will lose Delhi

Grtz

Ps: flights after 27mar16 still bookable

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

So it's 100% official now: they will leave.

A few questions:
Am I right in saying that nothing stays in BRU (not even a single Bombay flight)?
What are they going to operate from AMS? 2 Indian flights + Toronto? Or do they keep New York too?

This creates quite some opportunities in BRU, most certainly transatlantic: the airport may not like it too much, but I can think of quite a few airlines which may be wrubbing their hands right now over this news.
Wonder how long it takes for them to announce filling the void(s)?

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

Inquirer wrote:Am I right in saying that nothing stays in BRU (not even a single Bombay flight)?
Correct.
Inquirer wrote:What are they going to operate from AMS? 2 Indian flights + Toronto? Or do they keep New York too?
No New York, only Toronto. BOM flight will be terminating in AMS, DEL will continue to YYZ.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Thank you sdbelgium,

I think they show once more that it isn't very economical to send planes to the other end of the word yourself and you can better work together with partners through their hubs: any particular reason why they keep serving Toronto themselves iso feeding KLM's flight there (for instance in return for KLM pulling out of an Indian route, say Delhi).

More on the story at:
Dutch: http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaar ... 1450099149
French: http://www.lecho.be/entreprises/aviatio ... 8-3017.art

Wonder who'll be the first to announce filling a void?
I suppose the Arabian carriers will be increasing their capacity on BRU?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

This might be seen as the result of the stupid Star Alliance decision to go after Air India rather than Jet Airways.
André
ex Sabena #26567

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

sn26567 wrote:This might be seen as the result of the stupid Star Alliance decision to go after Air India rather than Jet Airways.
Well i think it was never the intention of Star to let Jet Airways join.. Just to favor BRU for holding the jet hub there.. AI was in Talk with Star for years, they where privileged over Jet

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

See more details and new Jet Airways timetables as of 26 March 2016: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines_press_r ... d-toronto/
André
ex Sabena #26567

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sn26567 wrote:This might be seen as the result of the stupid Star Alliance decision to go after Air India rather than Jet Airways.
Given the "wish of the government" to have Air India in Star Alliance, they didn't have much of a choice. Other Star Alliance members were already experiencing the difficulties in India during the period that Star Alliance suspended the joining process of AI.
Even though Star never made secret of it for several years that they would have wanted 9W to join as well, that was not going to happen at least until AI joined. Once Etihad got into the picture, there was no question anymore, 9W will never join Star Alliance.

b720

Post by b720 »

and AI offers a much inferior product than 9W.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

SabenaForever wrote:SN/AC to Toronto?
SN/AI to Mumbai?
All options seem realistic, except SN to Mumbai. Mumbai doesn't make much sense as a 1st Asian destination for SN.

Sad week for BRU, first they lost the Thalys and now all connections to South-Asia :(

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Jetter wrote:
SabenaForever wrote:SN/AC to Toronto?
SN/AI to Mumbai?
All options seem realistic, except SN to Mumbai. Mumbai doesn't make much sense as a 1st Asian destination for SN.

Sad week for BRU, first they lost the Thalys and now all connections to South-Asia :(
No more Thalys between Brussels Airport & Paris? I guess that PAX do prefer the 2xdaily flights operated by brussels airlines betwwen BRU & CDG over the rail link...
I think they also used to be a Jet partner so... if they leave...

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

There are 3 daily Brussels Airlines flight (1 operated by Europe Airpost under the SN code)

Actually yes people prefer the Thalys as they arrive directly to the heart of Paris

brusselsairlinesfan

crew1990 wrote:There are 3 daily Brussels Airlines flight (1 operated by Europe Airpost under the SN code)

Actually yes people prefer the Thalys as they arrive directly to the heart of Paris

3xdaily... I thought there were only 2xdaily during the winter season... Tried to book a CDG-BRU-CDG ticket but it seems not possible anymore!

Anyway... back to the topic! I hope that SN will react as quick as possible to take the lead!

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:I hope that SN will react as quick as possible to take the lead!
News is going to come by next week. ;)

Plans for a significant expansion on long haul in S16 were ready and then 9W pulls out, spurring SN to review next year's ambitions upward... a bit more patience is needed to get A++ to agree to it all.

brusselsairlinesfan

tolipanebas wrote:
brusselsairlinesfan wrote:I hope that SN will react as quick as possible to take the lead!
News is going to come by next week. ;)

Plans for a significant expansion on long haul in S16 were ready and then 9W pulls out, spurring SN to review next year's ambitions upward... a bit more patience is needed to get A++ to agree to it all.
Dear "tolipanebas" (btw, where does your nick' come from?!), always a great pleasure to read your posts (esp. regarding SN) here... we're "urgently" waiting for the news regarding the expansion plans!