KRO Sunday: hard interview O'Leary versus Sven Kockelmann...

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

stratofreighter

KRO Sunday: hard interview O'Leary versus Sven Kockelmann...

Post by stratofreighter »

http://reporter.kro.nl/seizoenen/2012/a ... aas_oleary
De KRO heeft Ryanair daarnaast herhaaldelijk het aanbod gedaan om ná de twee Reporter- documentaires in een uitzending van Brandpunt te reageren.

Aan dat verzoek is nu gehoor gegeven.

Het interview van Sven Kockelmann met de Ryanair topman wordt zondagavond 20 januari uitgezonden om 22.15 uur op Nederland 2
http://brandpunt.kro.nl/seizoenen/2013/ ... efresh-all
In een stevig gesprek met Sven Kockelmann reageert O’Leary op de beschuldigingen van zijn eigen personeel.

This English-spoken interview will be online after Sunday evening 20 January 2013 at
http://brandpunt.kro.nl/seizoenen/2013/ ... efresh-all .

Sven Kockelmann can be quite "tough" at times. Think Jeremy Paxman, but then an only very slightly softer version... ;)

stratofreighter

Re: KRO Sunday: hard interview O'Leary versus Sven Kockelman

Post by stratofreighter »

And this is tonight... ;)

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Go Michael haha :D
This time I will be in the FR camp ;)

Expect some great comedy..

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

now that was pretty onesided :D

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

And how childish repeating 30 minutes fuel left again after the interview in the end, poor dutch reporters,..
Fr wins imo..

KRO was really repeating, ignoring MoL, dont giving him a nice steady reply..
Had preferred a belgium VRT reporter to compete with him, have one in mind haha Linda !,.. this was embarrasing..

CXB
Last edited by cathay belgium on 20 Jan 2013, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
New types flown 2022.. A339

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 »

Haven't seen it yet, but I can imagine it as the second part of the program was boring as hell. They didn't had to make 2 episodes of it, as they didn't have the material for it. One episode would have been fine, i.s.o. of all the continuous repetition of the emergencies. I'm not commenting on the content, but the reporter had anyway not enough background information to conduct the interviews and they should have made the reportage with someone who has some aviation knowledge (I hope he hasn't?). More could have been done with the reportage if they would have taken a wider perspective...

Tomskii

Post by Tomskii »

Geen streams gevonden. Wtf is this shit...

appel

Post by appel »

you can watch the interview here:
http://brandpunt.kro.nl/seizoenen/2013/ ... et_ryanair

in the end of the episode they say they will publish an official document that says you have to land with 30mins of fuel. But the part they published talks about single engine vfr operations. I think it says a lot about the aviation knowledge of the program makers

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

After having watched the interview, I think it's funny how the journalist (deliberately written without a capital here) struggles to find comprehensive arguments.
Every single argument his team tried to research in the last 6 months, can be countered with a bit of logical reasoning and a basic knowledge in aviation regulations.
To be fair, having done this, ridicules the former two episodes, and rightly so. While Ryanair is a controversial airline in many aspects, both from a crew member and a passenger's perspective, their SOPs must be on par with the best and safest in the business. You don't successfully operate 1500 flights per day if there are serious shortcomings in your Operational Procedures.
Thomas

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Exactly. And that explains why Ryanair is mulling to sue the KRO producers, with a big chance to win. Unless there is an out-of-court settlement.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Tomskii

Post by Tomskii »

Honestly, I am not a FR person at all. I hate the airline for everything what it is but it makes air travel significantly cheaper true. However I back up O' Leary totally on this one. The reports said the fuel was sufficient and was the legal limit. So no issues from there, once the fuel runs out it is normal to call out a pan pan or may day.

KRO should just have done a bit more research on this.

PS: that reporter said they landed with 29 minutes. Doesn't he understand they had been in a holding for over an hour... Darn.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

MOL puts his crews under commercial pressure, but he may have pushed those reporters to the brink of suicide :lol: An assertive leader, who knows what he's talking about... Let it be an example for Gustin & friends.

It's a company culture everywhere, not only at FR.
At SN, KL, LH, BA or AF, if you take 5 tons extra every day without justification, "just to be safe", they will find a reason to fire you...

babolat-blast

Post by babolat-blast »

My critical remarks:
- why does O'Leary refuses to acknowledge that the men interviewed were really Ryanair pilots? It was confirmed by a notary! I find it a bit weak that he puts that completely aside. Ofcourse, everybody can be a liar, also the notary, but I find it weak he does not want to accept it.
- he says pilots are ranked by fuel consumption, not by the amount of fuel they load. But the more you load, the heavier the plane and the more it will consume, no? Ofcourse, there are more factors that determine the fuel consumption (some of which you can control and some you can't), but by decreasing the amount you load, your consumption will be less.

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

I crunched some numbers real quick:
The average fuel burn increase for a 737, is about 25kg per hour per tonne.
This means that if you take on a tonne of fuel (or weight) extra, your fuel burn will go up by about 25kg per hour. Since it might be statistically valid, the least I found in terms of increase was 17kg, the most was 30 kg.
I calculated this with about 15-20 flight plans in different conditions, times of day, winds,...
So while taking on fuel of course does cost fuel, and it will change the outcome of your trip fuel, I don't think it will tip the scale in the fuel burn list.
I also like to believe that getting on top of the list is a nice extra, but I don't think there will be much pilots who actually crave to be on top. A lot of fuel savings is done by flying economically, not by bringing less weight with you.

While I can definitely see your point of view, I am not sure if 4 (or 5) disgruntled pilots are considered valid, in statistical terms. Of there really was something wrong, I'm sure we'd hear a lot more, especially from captains who are the last line of responsibility. Even though it shouldn't be like this, a lot of F/O's wouldn't dare open their mouth, in the case of the Captains, this is an entirely different matter.
Thomas