Ryanair in 2013

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sean1982

Re: Ryanair in 2013

Post by sean1982 »

you geniuses make it sounds like FR is the only airline in Europe to have tax incentives .... grow up please :D

cnc

Post by cnc »

sean1982 wrote:you geniuses make it sounds like FR is the only airline in Europe to have tax incentives .... grow up please :D
no i don't but its time you get realistic. its like comparing the salary of 2 people based on the netto income while you have to look at the bruto part because one might have 5 kids etc.
pure on operational level FR is the worst kid in the class so take away the subsidies they will have to increase prices massively. still think they'll carry 80 million pax/year then?
MOL seems to realise that the future might be going that way so he's soften up which is very positive but please drop the "superior airline" act

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

cnc wrote:pure on operational level FR is the worst kid in the class
You got figures to back that up? cause those allegations are quite severe. Do you know how much of FR's profit is so called tax money (which is completely legal and also done by a lot of other airlines btw)

Is FR's business model superior in Europe? Lets look at some FACTS:

FR avg fare is 48EUR .. next up is EZY with 82EUR and then NOR with 86EUR, so quite a lot of margin there.
FR ex fuel unit cost is 29EUR .... followed by EZY 54EUR and NOR 70EUR, so again there is margin to play with there.

Is there growth potential? Sure there is: in Belgium 37% of pax fly low cost, Germany 25%, France also 25%, Sweden 25%, Netherlands 34% etc .... Only in Ireland, Spain and Italy 50% or more off all pax already fly low cost which is why Alitalia is struggeling so hard.

FR's Market share: Spain 21%, Italy 22%, Ireland 44%, Poland 22%, Morrocco 15% ... These are existing customer bases, there is still growth potential.

Then you keep banging on the so-called taxes that FR receives (which comply fully with the state aid rules btw) while Air France, Spanair, Malev and Alitalia (to name a few) have actually been convicted by the EU for illegal state aid, while FR has had many cases but never received a conviction.

I'll let the figures speak for themselves.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

A lot of improvements on the Ryanair website, to be implemented soon :

viewtopic.php?p=288028#p288028
http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair- ... -customers

Ryanair’s new website features:
•The removal of the Recaptcha for individual bookings (from 1 Nov).
•A 24 hour “grace period” to fix minor errors in bookings (from 1 Nov).
•A cleaner, simpler homepage (from 30 Nov).
•A simplified booking path which cuts from 17 to 5 ‘clicks’ to make bookings (from 30 Nov).
•An intuitive booking flow which helps customers easily find the lowest fares on every route (30 Nov).

Ryanair also announced a series of digital improvements which will be released over the coming months this winter as follows:
•A member service “My Ryanair” which allows customers to enter their details (name, address, credit card etc) and store them securely on the Ryanair.com website, saving customers time, every time they make bookings (from end Dec).
•Mobile boarding passes (end Feb 2014) which will allow customers choose to either print their boarding passes or download them to their smart phones.
•A “Fare Finder” feature (end Apr) which will allow customers to search for fares by price point, route and travel period. Customers will click a low fare and immediately find the dates and flights where it is available.
•A new mobile app (May 2014) which will make Ryanair’s fares and flight info readily available on all smartphones and tablet devices.
• “Share the Fare” option (end Mar), which helps customers find Ryanair low fares and share them on your favourite social network.
•Finally, Ryanair will release tailored language websites in all its major EU markets starting with a Spanish language and tailored website and an Italian version by end June 2014, making the Ryanair.com website readily available and accessible in all Ryanair’s major EU markets during 2014.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

In addition to they allready announced customer service improvements, Ryanair today announced that from the first of february 2014 all flights will have fully allocated seating! Gone are the boarding scrambles. Fantastic news! :)

https://twitter.com/ryanair/status/397243813686554624

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

According to De Tijd, Ryanair is suffering from a rapidly crumbling profit margin:
http://www.tijd.be/nieuws/ondernemingen ... 0-3085.art
today they have again slashed their profit forecast less than 2 months after they had already reported to be expecting lower full year profits.

In the French version, figures show how depressing their current operational results must be:
http://www.lecho.be/actualite/entrepris ... .art?ckc=1
A closer look is definitely needed, but it seems they expect to lose about €100m from now till April.

To me, it is becoming more obvious by the day just how much they must be suffering from competitors who seem to have managed to hit the sweet spot in price-quality with the general public in Europe as they succeeded in reorienting themselves over the past few years, hence ryanair's somewhat hastely product strategy reorientation.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sean1982 wrote:In addition to they allready announced customer service improvements, Ryanair today announced that from the first of february 2014 all flights will have fully allocated seating! Gone are the boarding scrambles. Fantastic news! :)

https://twitter.com/ryanair/status/397243813686554624
They say it"s a "return" to allocated seating. Has there ever been allocated seating in the past? I remember to have taken a Ryanair flight in the early days from CRL to SNN (in a 737-200) and it was free seating (and free baggage in the hold, and free boarding pass printed at the airport :) ).
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

I used to be before Ryanair was a low cost airline, but that is indeed ages ago.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

The news on ryanair's second profit warning in just 2 months, which -as I already pointed out this moring- in fact contains an impicit acknowledgement ryainair will operate at a significant loss over the coming 6 months for the first time ever, is now also picked up by mainstream media in Belgium:

http://www.rtbf.be/info/economie/detail ... id=8127763

The report also mentions ryanair plans 'a pause' in their growth over the next year and highlights the pertinent questions over them ditching many key elements of their business model.

Stock markets clearly seem not to have much confidence in them managing to turn around the situation they find themselves in very quickly, as their shares plunged more than 11,5% on the news a second profit warning in as many months was issued by them this morning.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Inquirer wrote:The news on ryanair's second profit warning in just 2 months, which -as I already pointed out this moring- in fact contains an impicit acknowledgement ryainair will operate at a significant loss over the coming 6 months for the first time ever, is now also picked up by mainstream media in Belgium:

http://www.rtbf.be/info/economie/detail ... id=8127763

The report also mentions ryanair plans 'a pause' in their growth over the next year and highlights the pertinent questions over them ditching many key elements of their business model.

Stock markets clearly seem not to have much confidence in them managing to turn around the situation they find themselves in very quickly, as their shares plunged more than 11,5% on the news a second profit warning in as many months was issued by them this morning.
Is always being negative actually a talent? :roll:

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sean1982 wrote:Is always being negative actually a talent? :roll:
Excuse me?

May I point out it's your employer which just issued a second consecutive profit warning in a very short time span, profit warnings which show just how rapidly things are deteriorating on the financial front and that the markets are not very pleased with both the direction as well as the pace?

Especially the implicit acknowledgement they expect to join the ranks of unprofitable airlines over the winter months isn't exactly something one can put much positive spin on, I am afraid, so not much talent is needed by me. :?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

No matter how much you want to be the bearer of bad news .... The harsh 13/14 winter was expected and does not only affect Ryanair, but everyone. And 510 million Euro is still what it is. 510 million Euro profit!!!!

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sean1982 wrote:No matter how much you want to be the bearer of bad news .... The harsh 13/14 winter was expected and does not only affect Ryanair, but everyone. And 510 million Euro is still what it is. 510 million Euro profit!!!!
Please calm down, sean: you seem to have a problem accepting as facts anything but good news about your employer, which is understandable given its past performances, but based on the financial guidance issued today, things are not going to be as rosy in future, so you better take a more relaxed attitude to it all.

I know it's often hard to accept for ordinary employees that things have indeed taken a bad turn as they still see their company trade as usual and they still work as hard as before to please as many customers as before, yet that's because they generally don't have a good idea of the underlying financial performance, so it often takes times for people to accept that indeed their mindset is no longer in line with a mush harsher new operating environment: general perception is always lagging on reality.

As I have already mentioned at the end of last month, you can be pleased your management has understood something needs to be done, but you have just shown that they may still have some work to do in making sure that their staff understands just why they have embarked on a complete corporate repositioning. I suggest you to digest the figures a bit and think them over; because looking back at past successes isn't going to help you going forward.
Last edited by Inquirer on 04 Nov 2013, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

crlhub

Post by crlhub »

Big victory for FR:

http://www.rtbf.be/info/regions/detail_ ... id=8127746

in french only for the moment

more news and comments later

Ryanair calls time on low cost revolution and reveals it will allocate seats for passengers in 2014
The low cost revolution in the skies is over after Ryanair chief Michael O'Leary revealed passengers would be allocated seats from February - and admitted the company's website was "c**p".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/1042 ... -2014.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/pictu ... rline.html
http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1104/484450 ... -guidance/
Last edited by crlhub on 04 Nov 2013, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

To cut discussions short and rely on hard figures and facts, you can find the full Ryanair press release (26 pages) hereafter:

http://tinyurl.com/no7t3xe

And, by the way, Mr. O'Leary, the IATA code for Warsaw Modlin is WMI and not MOD !
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Inquirer wrote:
sean1982 wrote:No matter how much you want to be the bearer of bad news .... The harsh 13/14 winter was expected and does not only affect Ryanair, but everyone. And 510 million Euro is still what it is. 510 million Euro profit!!!!
Please calm down, sean: you seem to have a problem accepting as facts anything but good news about your employer, which is understandable given its past performances, but based on the financial guidance issued today, things are not going to be as rosy in future, so you better take a more relaxed attitude to it all.

I know it's often hard to accept for ordinary employees that things have indeed taken a bad turn as they still see their company trade as usual and they still work as hard as before to please as many customers as before, yet that's because they generally don't have a good idea of the underlying financial performance, so it often takes times for people to accept that indeed their mindset is no longer in line with a mush harsher new operating environment: general perception is always lagging on reality.

As I have already mentioned at the end of last month, you can be pleased your management has understood something needs to be done, but you have just shown that they may still have some work to do in making sure that their staff understands just why they have embarked on a complete corporate repositioning. I suggest you to digest the figures a bit and think them over; because looking back at past successes isn't going to help you going forward.
Can you please explain to an "ordinary" employee what's not succesfull about 510m € profit? How many airlines in Europe can show figures like that? And again, what makes you less ordinary then?

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

In november 2012 :
H1 profit : 596 million euros; expected full year profit : 490-520 M euros (actual full year profit : 569 M.)
In november 2013 :
H1 profit : 602 million euros; expected full year profit : 500-520 M euros. Wait and see !
Last edited by airazurxtror on 04 Nov 2013, 15:07, edited 2 times in total.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

cnc

Post by cnc »

i don't want to check that entire pfd file but i did see +5% and +1% vs 2012

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sean1982 wrote:Can you please explain to an "ordinary" employee what's not succesfull about 510m € profit? How many airlines in Europe can show figures like that? And again, what makes you less ordinary then?
Just as when you took offence at me calling ryanair's market share a niche segment of the total market last week, it's all about looking at things in an analytical manner, Sean: don't be contented by global financial data and annual results, look at all of the performance details consolidated into it.

Being locked into one segment of the market which leaves hardly any room for direct revenues growth is a very vulnerable position to be in (hence MOL wants to outgrow it), and similarly, turning into a seasonally profitable company isn't exactly a very reassuring sign either.

As to your question which other airlines in Europe can show figures like that, the one that comes to mind and which is often discussed here, is Lufthansa and mind you, they take a very analytical view of things and do not content themselves with a billion profit, but are currently in the middle of a turn around program to work around their isolated performance weaknesses, just as should be, because as the pace at which ryanair is now issuing profit warnings and deteriorating financial results, it shows that at a certain point, things tip very quickly when you amass too many of them.

Over the coming months and years, I expect ryanair to do the same and not to limit itself to cosmetic changes like allocated seats or mobile check-in as that is just one side of the turn around: the outside. Internally however, many things will likely undergo a review too and in this perspective, the remark they will pause their growth next year may be indicative of them indeed going for more structural changes too.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

I dont know where this "pause of growth" is coming from as from SEPT14 there will be 175 B738's joining the fleet. 75 to replace the oldest 738's in the fleet, and 100 for expansion. That looks far from a pause in growth.