Abnormalities in BRU-ANR-CRL-LGG-OST in 2013

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Abnormalities in BRU-ANR-CRL-LGG-OST in 2013

Post by sn26567 »

Africa-bound Passengers Stranded at Brussels Airport

More than 140 passengers from five African countries have been stranded at Brussels International Airport since early Thursday.

They were to have departed late Tuesday from Chicago aboard a United Airlines plane with a planned three-hour stop in Brussels.

But, their Chicago flight was delayed and they missed their connecting flight on Brussels Airlines. The carrier told them the next available flight is Friday.

United said “some passengers did miss their connections on other airlines to their final destinations, and our team in Brussels is doing everything it can to help the passengers make alternate accommodations as soon as possible.”

Daniel Dogba, a Liberian who lives in Fort Worth, Texas, and one of the stranded passengers, said all 142 Africans have been staying in a cold basement of the airport for hours without food and water.

We departed the United States from Chicago, via United Flight 972, with the intention of transiting in Brussels. Now, we got here today (Thursday) and the airport here did not know we were coming or what was going on. Mind you, there has been no official statement from United as to when we’re departing here. We’ve been here over 11 hours, no food, no water, and in the very cold basement,” he said.

Dogba said without visas the passengers could not leave the basement to seek hotel accommodations on their own. He also said airlines officials were in possession of their passports.

Glory Tambe, a Cameroonian, said she and her baby became sick from the conditions in the airport basement.

I had a migraine and my neck and feet were hurting because we’ve been standing, and we didn’t have a place to sit down. We didn’t have no food to eat, no water and the baby was crying. I tried to buy something for her to eat, but she couldn’t even eat it because it was so hot, and she had wounds all over her mouth because we don’t have water,” Tambe said.

Another woman from Sierra Leone who lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota, said she was returning to Sierra Leone with her four year-old son for the first time in 12 years because her father passed away.

She said her son became sick because the lack of food and water, coupled with cold weather, became stressful for her son.

I feel that they are treating us like refugees. I feel that this is racist. I feel that they think we don’t know anything, and I’m a young generation and I know my rights, and I want to fight this to the end. I feel they are treating us [like this] because we are Africans, and this is wrong. We paid them money and we should receive what we [paid for],” she said.

She said the conditions reminded her of the days of Sierra Leone’s civil war when there was no regard for human beings.

Dogba said one of the sad things to see was an elderly woman who was travelling in a wheelchair.

Source: Voice of Africa

P.S. United had another big problem the same Tuesday: flight UA55 CDG-EWR was cancelled because the 757 went technical soon after take-off and returned to the airport. 120 passengers were stranded and spent two nights in Paris hotels with the hope to take off today...
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

and the "racist" bomb is dropped again. Honestly, whenever these people feel mistreated you're automatically a "racist". I cannot count on 2 hands how many times I've been called a racist after refusing a frail old morrocan grandma or grandpa an emergency exit row :roll:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I think that, if there were so many passengers to Liberia and if the UA flight was only three hours late, SN could have delayed the departure of its flight to Monrovia.
André
ex Sabena #26567

fcw

Post by fcw »

sn26567 wrote:I think that, if there were so many passengers to Liberia and if the UA flight was only three hours late, SN could have delayed the departure of its flight to Monrovia.
Easier said than done André!
Delaying the outbound flight for three hours could put the crew out of duty, could generate night ban problems, many connecting passengers on the return flight would have missed their connection and the late return would have a knock effect the next day.

convair

Post by convair »

sn26567 wrote:Africa-bound Passengers Stranded at Brussels Airport

More than 140 passengers from five African countries have been stranded at Brussels International Airport since early Thursday.

They were to have departed late Tuesday from Chicago aboard a United Airlines plane with a planned three-hour stop in Brussels.
There seems to be a descrepancy here... Which Thursday are you referring to? You are writing this Thursday morning about passengers stranded in BRU since... today? And there is no SN flight to Monrovia on Thursday.
Weren't you referring to Wednesday (yesterday)?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

convair wrote:There seems to be a descrepancy here... Which Thursday are you referring to? You are writing this Thursday morning about passengers stranded in BRU since... today? And there is no SN flight to Monrovia on Thursday.
Weren't you referring to Wednesday (yesterday)?
No discrepancy: the pax left ORD Tuesday night to arrive in BRU Wednesday morning (yesterday) and catch a connecting flight to ROB the same morning. They missed the connection and were still in BRU today Thursday.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Bel33

Post by Bel33 »

SN 501 to NY is operated by OO-SFZ
All the SN A330 are in service

woutertheboy

Post by woutertheboy »

Bel33 wrote:SN 501 to NY is operated by OO-SFZ
All the SN A330 are in service
So all the wetleases (Euroatlantic, Hifly) left BRU again?

Greetings,
Wouter
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

woutertheboy wrote:So all the wetleases (Euroatlantic, Hifly) left BRU again?
Including the A340 for JAF!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Established02

Post by Established02 »

SN2046 = Zorro?
Attachments
GECOI.PNG

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Bad signal leading to false positions?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

UA960 EWR - BRU diverted to DUB due to medical emergency

SFM

Post by SFM »

SN357 to Kinshasa is cancelled (Brussels Airport website), does it have something to do with the unrest in the city? According to various news sites, gunshots have been heard at the airport.

hvs89

Post by hvs89 »

After an initial delay of 1 hour, flight SN357 to Kinshasa has been cancelled, I guess following troubles in the city (gunshots have been heard at the airport)?

http://www.lalibre.be/actu/internationa ... aedaad042f
http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20131230_00907096

Edit: SFM you were faster than me!

Bel33

Post by Bel33 »

SN 357 to Kin-Ndjili (FIH) is cancelled due to fire shootings around the airport and in the town (Congress, television...)