Alitalia saved by the Government and reborn as ITA Airways

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

airazurxtror

Alitalia saved by the Government and reborn as ITA Airways

Post by airazurxtror »

Alitalia is again on the brink of ruin and lose 630,000 euros per day, adding to the 730 million accumulated deficit in four years of private management, according to a survey released Friday by the newspaper La Repubblica.

While the plan "Fenice" (Phoenix) prepared by Banca Intesa and the group of Italian entrepreneurs led by Roberto Colaninno foresaw a return to operating profit in 2011, the date has been put back to 2014, "the paper notes.

From June to September, Alitalia lost 173 million, 150 million more than in 2011. "Of the 1.16 billion euros paid by shareholders in early 2009 (323 by Air France, 827 per a group of Italian entrepreneurs), there are approximately 400 million left" the paper notes, and a "recapitalization" is necessary .

http://www.7sur7.be/7s7/fr/1536/Economi ... ffre.dhtml

Alitalia has banned the said newspaper from being sold aboard its aircraft friday ... better safe than sorry.
Those dear old legacy carriers always struggling to avoid bankruptcy ... rather pathetic !
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Flanker2

Re: Alitalia again near disaster

Post by Flanker2 »

Alitalia, Meridiana and LH subsidiary Air Dolomiti.

Meridiana announced that it's going to put over 800 more employees on cassa integrazione, which is the equivalent of chomage économique/ economische werkloosheid / economy-induced unemployment benefits.
Meridiana is being kept alive artificially by subsidies from the Sardinian Region and the Aga Khan and lost over 50 millions in 2012.

Air Dolomiti is firing over 100 employees, of which around 80 pilots and 40 cabin crew members.
All ATR's will be phased out in 2013, in favor of 5 additional E195's, an effective fleet reduction from 16 to 10 aircraft. Some maintenance technicians will also lose their jobs.

brusselsairlinesfan

Alitalia : still in trouble?

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

It seems that Alitalia still faces some serious difficulties on the way to recovery :
http://www.air-journal.fr/2013-05-30-al ... 75027.html
(sorry, in french only)
What do you think about the situation, future of the italian flag carrier, etc...?

jan_olieslagers

Re: Alitalia : still in trouble?

Post by jan_olieslagers »

I think it is very bad and that is what I think.

regi

Post by regi »

I can't help it to refer to my very old posts - and sorry guys, but what could we expect from that airline?

It is not all that bad: they have a punctuality of 87%. :| ( I don't know the statistics, but why is it that so many reports are written by that other 13% ? )

I didn't see their percentage of food poisoning and destroyed luggage without compensation, but that are small details.

I don't understand why Alitalia doesn't follow the general advises from all over the world, to make it a good company:
  • get rid of the name Alitalia. Any name is good, Zumba air, Stromboli Smoke , whatever. But no more reference to a name that gives you the shivers.
    get rid of the Italians. Nothing against Italians. But the Italians ruined their airline. ( from top to bottom ). If they still would use Italian pilots, ask them to call themselves Jim Jones or Roger Rabbit, but nothing sounding Italian. Or even simplier: forbid the pilots to touch the intercom. Final.
    Don't serve Italian food. Strangely enough, Alitalia succeeds to ruin Italian food up to the level it endangers the life of their passengers ( who pay after all their salary ) Some suggestions that they never could mess up with: biltong ( dried meat), dry biscuits with vegemite ( a Australian paste that doesn't rot) , boiling water, sorry, scrap that one, too dangerous to hurt passengers, dry cookies, cans of foreign softdrinks and no ice. I repeat: NO ICE !
    scrap every destination in Italy to avoid that the company would be depending on other Italians at airports. Doesn't make sense ? The moment that passengers would get the feeling that they stepped in the same trap again, it is over & out.
    Sell all the airplanes. Repainting isn't good enough. The danger is too big that something referring to Alitalia will pop out of the seat bag, over head luggage cmp, seat protection, just anything. If this is not an option, do at least a paint job by sandblasting the entire plane up to the bare metal.
    Provide female flight attendants with uniforms copied from Gulf State airlines. A head scarf or something like that. Passengers will think " Hm, a muslim airline, but OK, anything better that Alitalia"
    Send all sexy looking female staff immediately to the premises of a particular former prime minister. Sexy Italian FA's have an attitude which is not compatible with the job of a FA : be nice , do your job and don't look down on passengers because they look at your bum.
    Get rid of the toilets. They will never be cleaned and will cause many complaints. So no toilets, no complaints.
    Same for woven fabric as floor covering and seat covers. Plain vinyl will do the job fine.
So far for now.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Wow! Regi is back. In great shape! :twisted:

(I mean in better shape than Alitalia...)
André
ex Sabena #26567

regi

Post by regi »

sn26567 wrote:Wow! Regi is back. In great shape! :twisted:

(I mean in better shape than Alitalia...)
never been gone. But you are right that it has been a while I posted.( so long that there is now a Flanker MkII :P
Very busy. Business in doll drums, very little flying.
I definitively need to get a customer on the Azores, to get such a A310 experience as well. :P
But one of my dreams is to fly with a MoD TriStar to Ascenscion. ( and return if possible )

Checked my other nemesis "Biman" at Skytrax, guess what, they reached 5/10 in their latest review. And they still haven't wrecked their new B-777. :roll: And they still hammer the DC-10's, I guess as the last airline in the world, on regular passenger service.

Back to the subject:" Alitalia: still in trouble?"
This is in fact a non topic. it would be world news if AZ would have been out of trouble.

fcw

Post by fcw »

regi wrote: Sexy Italian FA's have an attitude which is not compatible with the job of a FA : be nice , do your job and don't look down on passengers because they look at your bum.
I beg you pardon??
Mods please, flanker has been banned for less than this!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

fcw wrote:
regi wrote: Sexy Italian FA's have an attitude which is not compatible with the job of a FA : be nice , do your job and don't look down on passengers because they look at your bum.
I beg you pardon??
Let's consider it as second degree (or even third degree) humour!
André
ex Sabena #26567

regi

Post by regi »

fcw wrote:
I beg you pardon??

The expression is " I beg your pardon "
You don't need to beg for this. I can give it much easier: "pardon." So with this, it is setttled. Otherwise you should have asked for my immediate removal.

Flanker/NCB been banned? Didn't know that. What happened?

regi

Post by regi »

quiz time: which item of this furniture company is doing not so well?
http://www.aviationexplorer.com/aircraf ... iture.html

I guess it is the item that is half ways when you scroll down ;)

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

To get things a bit into balance again : I don't mind flying AZ at all. Never had a bad experience with them.
As to food poisoning : I remember that many (15 ?) years ago, I flew back from DKR to NCE via FCO with AZ and some of my Swiss colleagues flew back on SR (yes, Swissair) to GVA and two of them were sick with food poisoning after landing in GVA;
And I can remember a QF flight from SIN to LHR where I had to throw up to whole evening meal in the toilet less than half an hour after finishing the meal. So, that is definitiley not an AZ monopoly.
Back on topic : AZ still in trouble ? So is IB. To some extend b.air. AF isn't doing very well either. Same for 9W. Feel free to add other airlines to the list of airlines in trouble or having a difficult time.
In favor of quality air travel.

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

AZ in trouble is indded not a big surprise...
They suffer from
1. TK doing the job they should have started years ago
2. AF/KL just happy as long as they don't pour too much money in the drain.
Btw AF/KL are stupid or were stupid not to do a better job with AZ 10 yrs ago (meaning taking full control and investing heavily in the Dual hub)
3. EZY and LCC more present than ever in Italy
4. Of course the GC triopoly
5. last but not least the difficulty to manage AZ properly ..
-
Personally I don't have huge experience with them but I always enjoy a flight with them. Already the Italian language is in my ear, and the FA's are often goodlooking and good humoured. Why ask more ?

cnc

Post by cnc »

i prefere flying AZ over most european airlines on short haul, never flew long haul with them though.
but then again, nice looking FA's already make my flight :D

sn26567

Re: Alitalia again near bankruptcy

Post by sn26567 »

Air France-KLM is in talks over whether to increase its stake in Italian carrier Alitalia.

The Franco-Dutch airline has long indicated that it has an eye on increasing its interest in the company.

Alitalia, assailed by deep loses and shrinking passenger numbers said it would not block Air France-KLM from taking a 50 percent slice of the airline, up from its current 25 percent holding.

Alitalia has not registered a profit since 2009 and has been hit hard by EasyJet and Ryanair.
André
ex Sabena #26567

regi

Post by regi »

sn26567 wrote:
  • Alitalia, assailed by deep loses and shrinking passenger numbers
    Alitalia has not registered a profit since 2009
The never ending story

Now they blame Easyjet and Ryanair? Hey, hold on a second: how was Alitalia before Easyjet and Ryanair existed? Don't even think about it, or you need an instant pain killer.

I would even stand by the claim of Ryanair die hards that the succes of Ryanair ( and Easyjet, and others) is partly based on the existance of airlines such as Alitalia.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The Alitalia shareholders voted a capital increase of 100 million EUR, which will enable the company to survive a few more months. But Air-France KLM (which owns 25% of the shares) voted against, because it probably doesn't have the money. Will it pay its share? And what will happen when that capital supply is also spent?
André
ex Sabena #26567

regi

Post by regi »

sn26567 wrote:And what will happen when that capital supply is also spent?
The same old story. More money.

me109

Post by me109 »

I agree when you say the same old story, but it is not the money !

it is their organization, their structure !