First flight Antwerp to Manchester by BMI

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

air belgium

First flight Antwerp to Manchester by BMI

Post by air belgium »

Today the first BMI regional flight from Antwerp to Manchester.
Any photos?
Thanks.

Sabena320

Re: First flight Antwerp to Manchester by BMI

Post by Sabena320 »

This video is from the takeoff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1BgyjJpEZ0

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Report from ATV Antwerp Television (1 min):

http://www.atv.be/item/deurne-terug-ver ... manchester

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hi

Yeah I'm hoping for pics as well. Normally would have been present with the landing of the first flight and the water salute (?) from the apron but las minute changes made I was on duty in Rotterdam this week so wasn't there. Hope to see some pictures as well indeed.

Greets,

Dreamlover

Post by Dreamlover »

These are my pictures from this morning at ANR. 08.55 arrival at ANR. 25 minutes too early.
The fire departement is waiting.
Here he is the ERJ135ER G-RJXP
The water greeting
And now he is clean to go back
Greetz
Guy

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Sorry to begin on a pecky note: shouldn't a plane be referred to as "she" in proper English, just like a ship?

But more seriously: on the last picture I can see some photographers very close to the plane, perhaps even unacceptably close. And not even wearing high visibility fluo jackets! Who manages safety at EBAW?

All that being said: it is great to see this new service started, wish them every success!

[[edit: and, of course, no blame on the messenger. The pics are nice to see, thanks very much for sharing!]]
Last edited by jan_olieslagers on 29 Oct 2012, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

@ Dreamlover

Thank you for sharing your photo's , but the photo's dont show well on this website. Although I could work around it, maybe for the rest you can send the photobucket link?

And maybe it is just me, but I find it strange to see people so near an airplane without reflective clothing. :?

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,
Thx for the pics,..
The people should have worn fluo jackets offcourse,anr safety department to blame.. and idd very close.. guess a young/new anr-guy hadn't taken all security preparations for the press!
And planes are always girls no?.. how else could they be my second love after real girlz ;)

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

jan_olieslagers

No, not all planes are girls, more's the pity. Some planes are harsh old ladies, just try to fly them and you'll know what I mean. But as I have always said: flying a plane is done from the cockpit. Sitting in the coach and waiting for things to happen just doesn't count. Neither with planes nor with the gentle sex.
Last edited by jan_olieslagers on 29 Oct 2012, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

andorra-airport

In French all airplanes are male. 1 Exception: La Caravelle. ;)

jan_olieslagers

Hm. Hmmm. Hmmmmmmm. Most interesting side discussion!

Le/la Dassault Rafale ?
La/le Concorde?
Un/une Alouette II/III ?
Absolutely UN Jodel but perhaps UNE Luciole?

Toujours curieux a apprendre!

andorra-airport

jan_olieslagers wrote: La/le Concorde?
Could be "Ma Concorde" for me, yes. In German it is female: die Concorde.

In French the helicopter "Alouette" is feminine too.

air belgium

Post by air belgium »

Thanks for the photos!

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Off topic: I think its neither le Concorde nor la Concorde...they just say 'Bienvenue à bord Concorde' ...so I've been told :)

Flanker

Post by Flanker »

C'est le Concorde. ;-)
Le Rafale
L' Alouette (girl)

Dreamlover

Post by Dreamlover »

For me is taking pictures already difficult.
My mother tongue is Flemish, so don't judge me on writing errors please.
I didn't learn other languages, so i writh with the dictionary with me.
All joking apart i hope you enjoy the pictures

galaxy

Post by galaxy »

andorra-airport wrote:
In French the helicopter "Alouette" is feminine too.
Perhaps because " une alouette " is a bird.Even the male alouette bird is called " une alouette "
http://www.google.be/imgres?num=10&hl=f ... :429,i:124

Comet

Post by Comet »

Such a pity the flight timings are crap, otherwise we would have booked this service for our holiday next year, as it is we don't know where we'll fly from, just hope and pray it is not LBA.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

An aircraft is not a "he" or a "she", it's an "it", just like all inanimate objects.

SpottairBRU

Post by SpottairBRU »

jan_olieslagers wrote:Sorry to begin on a pecky note: shouldn't a plane be referred to as "she" in proper English, just like a ship?
Indeed, referring to my memories of my English grammar class at the university (Germanic philology), airplanes and ships are commonly used with the female gender.

The wikipedia article on the subject is quite close to what was written in my "syllabus" at that time (unfortunately stored in the cellar of my parents' house, otherwise I would have scanned the page). Here is an extract:
wikipedia wrote:Personal pronouns

The third-person singular personal pronouns are chosen according to the natural gender of their antecedent or referent. As a general rule:
  • he (and its related forms him, himself, his) is used when the referent is a male person, and sometimes when it is a male animal (or something else to which male characteristics are attributed);
  • she (and her, herself, hers) is used when the referent is a female person, sometimes when it is a female animal, and sometimes when female characteristics are attributed[citation needed] to something inanimate – this is common especially with vessels such as ships and airplanes, and sometimes with countries;
  • it (and itself, its) is used when the referent is something inanimate, often when it is an animal, and sometimes for a child when the sex is unspecified.
Lower animals are generally referred to using it; higher animals may more often be referred to using he and she, when their sex is known.
In my syllabus, "Concorde" was used as an example (that's why I still remember that part :lol: ). Other example going in that way; the 747 is more than often referred to as "Queen of the skies", and not as King...

But I agree: this is to be picky, and as another English teacher told me once at an exam:
Fabien, as a human being, I want to give you the highest marks, as I fully understood what you wanted to tell me... however, as a teacher, I'll have to point out all your grammatical mistakes, and give you a less than average mark :twisted: .
So, to summarize lots of discussions here on the forum: the most important is that we understand each other, and fortunately this is what happens most of the time :)

Back to the main subject: thanks for sharing the pictures, I hope to try this route soon...
Fabien
Flown: AA5 / A300-310-318-319-320-321-330-340-380 / ATR42 / B717-737-747-757-777 / Bae146 / C130H / CRJ700-900 / Dash8-Q400 / E145-195 / Fokker 50 / HS748 / MD81 / RJ85-100 / Robin DR400