Brussels Airlines' second US destination

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Brussels Airlines' second US destination

Post by Atlantis »

It seems that the next US destination will be EWR. UA has then to reduce their frequentie and capacity on this route or they even have to stop this route when Brussels Airlines will be the new player.

Question is then also what Jet Airways will do. Will they do then the same like with their route to NY and to stop this also. Then I'm not sure if Jet has a future at BRU.

Inquirer

Re: Brussels airlines future and financial perspective

Post by Inquirer »

Newark? Is this confirmed somewhere?

It would be briliant to finally get an evening link to New York: the business community has been asking for this for ages, but I fail to understand the logic of selecting EWR for the second flight, when the first one is going to JFK? Wouldn't it be better to have both flights serve the same airport?

Anybody who has a better insight on this and wants to share the rational behind it all?

PS: thinking about it for a minute myself: if they really want to serve both airports, how about swapping the 2 New York flghts: have the morning flight go to EWR vs. JFK (more connection opportunities) and the new evening flight heading to JFK then, thus deliver New Yorkers on a terminator flight right at their doorstep?

jan_olieslagers

Re: Brussels airlines future and financial perspective

Post by jan_olieslagers »

(my gratitude for granting my request!)
Last edited by jan_olieslagers on 14 Oct 2012, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

Lamal

Re: Brussels Airlines' second US destination

Post by Lamal »

Have a look at BOS ;)

Kind regards,

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

Maybe : BOS, YUL, CVG ?
Best regards,

Airbuske

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

LAX or SFO ?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

No guesses, please, but facts if you know something.
André
ex Sabena #26567

HighInTheSky

Post by HighInTheSky »

First thing I hear about EWR... It doesn't seem like a wise choice to fly to both NYC airports, especially when UA flies from EWR.

As I said before, BOS is internally confirmed for next year and CVG is being looked at. Don't ask my why though...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

HighInTheSky wrote:CVG is being looked at.
CVG? A Skyteam hub?
André
ex Sabena #26567

BekEBBR

Post by BekEBBR »

Does it mean that some planes are going to join the fleet or they can manage with the current fleet?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

BekEBBR wrote:Does it mean that some planes are going to join the fleet or they can manage with the current fleet?
It was announced that SN would acquire a new A330 in 2013 (for US flights?) and another one in 2014 (for AFI flights?).
André
ex Sabena #26567

BekEBBR

Post by BekEBBR »

Good news! And it will be brand new planes or planes from Swiss or Lufthansa?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

BekEBBR wrote:And it will be brand new planes or planes from Swiss or Lufthansa?
Most probably leased aircraft, whose origin is not yet determined.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Tomskii

Post by Tomskii »

SN management has officially become retarded imo.. Why EWR.. You have JFK, focus on other destinations first and then think about flying to a second NY airport. This is not an asset for SN it is just another airport in NYC giving you an oportunity.. djeesz

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Whatever makes you most money, should be your first priority, IMHO.

I can tell you there's huge demand for an evening flight to New York amongst the business community in Belgium, likely much more than for any other transatlantic route not currently served yet; a second NY flight is definitely not as cool as opening a completely new US destination from BRU, but if it brings more money than another route can, then what's the problem?

At present there's no formal confirmation, nor detailed explanation of the exact plan, so there might be far more than meets the eye at present. There are for instance many scenarios possible in which UA, 9W, JFK all play a role...

What I'd like to know is where Atlantis got the information from?

HighInTheSky

Post by HighInTheSky »

sn26567 wrote:
CVG? A Skyteam hub?
Indeed... Would have something to do with Proctor & Gamble who has its main office in Cincinnati (and a huge centre in Brussels).

But, CVG is NOT confirmed. I think that some serious calculations need to be made before embarking on a challenge like that...

cnc

Post by cnc »

we don't know anything about SN taking over BRU-EWR so i really doubt this.
nordikcam wrote:LAX or SFO ?
you already need 2 aircraft per destination then
sn26567 wrote:
CVG? A Skyteam hub?
why shouldn't they fly to a skyteam hub?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

cnc wrote:why shouldn't they fly to a skyteam hub?
In a Star hub they would have more connecting feeder flights. When Sabena flew to CVG it was a Delta hub, and Delta was in the same Qualiflyer alliance.
André
ex Sabena #26567

A330

Post by A330 »

Inquirer wrote:What I'd like to know is where Atlantis got the information from
Before going on with this discussion, it would indeed be interesting to know where this came from. Is this just a rumour, or something SN is seriously considering? Perhaps EWR, and CVG, are just some of the destinations under evaluation.
To summarize, we do know that SN will add 1 more A330 in 2013 (and another one in 2014?). It seems they are satisfied with the performance of their JFK flight, and news here on the site indicates that the extra long haul flight will be to US and not Africa.
I think several people here are of the opinion that a second JFK flight should be started, with BOS as the alternative. I agree those destinations seem most likely. Benefit of JFK is that they don't need to start it daily, I guess. They can gradually increase frequencies.
EWR doesn't seem to make much sense, that discussion seemed to be settled when SN announced JFK. Unless there is something going on with UA or 9W? For 9W, isn't this their most important US destination, well actually their only one?! For UA, would it be realistic to see them passing EWR on to SN? Would they start something else, like IAH or SFO?

cnc

Post by cnc »

sn26567 wrote:
cnc wrote:why shouldn't they fly to a skyteam hub?
In a Star hub they would have more connecting feeder flights. When Sabena flew to CVG it was a Delta hub, and Delta was in the same Qualiflyer alliance.
if everyone would think like that the aviation world would kinda suck no? ;)
besides SN can offer connections at BRU for more then a few million people living near CVG who otherwise have to fly to JFK, ORD, ATL or IAD first