Jet asks Govt of India for permission to join Star

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

kiwiandrew

Jet asks Govt of India for permission to join Star

Post by kiwiandrew »

http://www.livemint.com/2012/07/3123032 ... ent-n.html

New Delhi: Naresh Goyal-controlled Jet Airways (India) Ltd, the country’s biggest carrier, has sought government permission to join the world’s largest airline grouping, Star Alliance Services GmbH, putting the aviation ministry in a bit of a spot.

Interesting, I wonder whether the Government of India will say "Yes" or say "No" or just completely ignore the request and pretend they didn't hear the question.

RoMax

Re: Jet asks GoI for permission to join Star

Post by RoMax »

Well based on the time it takes before they have an answer on the 787-compensatin deal between Air India and Boeing (while AI is even government owned and they really need the efficiency of the 787), I believe we might wait another 6-12 months before we have an answer on this request of 9W... :roll:

Anyway, this is no suprise, 9W wants Star and Star wants 9W...

Tomskii

Re: Jet asks GoI for permission to join Star

Post by Tomskii »

And if jet is allowed to Star then normally BRU's future as the european 9W hub is a bit more certain!

RoMax

Re: Jet asks Govt of India for permission to join Star

Post by RoMax »

It's official now, the Star-dream of Air India has ended. Previously it was placed 'on-hold', but conversations between AI and Star continued.
But now civil aviation minister Ajit Singh said Star Alliance informed them that they couldn't come to an agreement over Air India and because of that they are fully rejected.

Ajit Singh:
To be part of the alliance, every member has to agree and that has not happened, especially after the pilots’ strike, when we lost a lot of credibility. They have practically said no and have sent us a letter last week. We have asked Air India to look for other options and alliances.
And even more important (also a quote from Singh):
I think Jet being a private airline cannot be a cause to stop them. It is also a domestic airline and flies with our national flag. It is up to Star Alliance to accept them.
It seems India finally accepted that Star doesn't want a messed up Air India, but they do want Jet Airways. And with AI officially being rejected they have no ground to stand on to keep 9W from joining Star.

http://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... ds/482772/

Tough I don't believe this has totally ended yet...It's still India of course.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The same minister said that out of 300 routes of Air India, only 3 are profitable. How long is the Government of India going to sustain such an airline? In the EU they would be bankrupt since a long time!
André
ex Sabena #26567

jumpjet

Post by jumpjet »

The Indian minister is asking Air India to approach Oneworld and Skyteam - given the run around that AI have given Star before they were finally rejected by Star I don't see the other two alliances being very receptive to approached from AI.