Airbus A380 news

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply
sean1982
Posts: 3163
Joined: 18 Mar 2003, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by sean1982 » 11 Nov 2017, 15:15

lumumba wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 15:10
Poiu wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 09:06
lumumba wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 00:52
Could be British Airways a potential customer for the A380 to replace the 747 fleet?
With the capacity problem at Heathrow they have the same problem than Emirates!

Maybe they waited so long hoping the third runway would open in the mean time to chose the right plane.
The 380 is very expensive to operate, if the second hand ones come very cheap it might be an option.
New ones are out of the question, as it is almost impossible to make money with them.
If Emirates doesn’t place a new order the A380 line will be closed down in the near future.
That's crazy...Airbus always said that the A 380 was cheaper than the 747...
If he is really more expensive to operate (per seat)than a 748 this programme is dead from the beginning!
But why can Emirates make money with it?
Because Emirates gets so subsidized by the UAE government that market economics don’t really matter to them :)

User avatar
lumumba
Posts: 1576
Joined: 04 Sep 2003, 00:00
Location: brussels Europe

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by lumumba » 11 Nov 2017, 15:22

sean1982 wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 15:15
lumumba wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 15:10
Poiu wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 09:06


The 380 is very expensive to operate, if the second hand ones come very cheap it might be an option.
New ones are out of the question, as it is almost impossible to make money with them.
If Emirates doesn’t place a new order the A380 line will be closed down in the near future.
That's crazy...Airbus always said that the A 380 was cheaper than the 747...
If he is really more expensive to operate (per seat)than a 748 this programme is dead from the beginning!
But why can Emirates make money with it?
Because Emirates gets so subsidized by the UAE government that market economics don’t really matter to them :)
That makes the A380 obsolete.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Poiu
Posts: 592
Joined: 14 Nov 2015, 09:38

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by Poiu » 13 Nov 2017, 11:35

According rumours in Dubai, Emirates will only place an A380 order if Airbus buys the older 380s back from them. As Airbus is/was not very enthousiastic, EK bought 787s iso 350s, once they realised Boeing won the order, Airbus people left the press conference minutes before it started.

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 11232
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by luchtzak » 13 Nov 2017, 11:41

Poiu wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 11:35
According rumours in Dubai, Emirates will only place an A380 order if Airbus buys the older 380s back from them. As Airbus is/was not very enthousiastic, EK bought 787s iso 350s, once they realised Boeing won the order, Airbus people left the press conference minutes before it started.
And Emirates wants the production line going for the next 10 to 15 years. https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/emira ... 380-order/

Bralo20
Posts: 1428
Joined: 12 Aug 2008, 13:48

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by Bralo20 » 13 Nov 2017, 13:00

The downside of relying on one major customer... Emirates has virtually all the power.

Either Airbus gives in and they'll keep the production line open for EK (which will probably be their only surviving customer of the A380) or they'll switch to a business model with 777 sized planes (of even 747's if they really want to piss Airbus off) and while changing they'll be flooding the market with cheap and young A380's giving Airbus virtually no chance to find new customers and thus marking the dead of the production line.

Doesn't look to good for Airbus... EK is an airline with a virtually unlimited amount of cash (thanks to their government) so if they'll be forced to use smaller planes they'll make it work, maybe with smaller profits or even losses but in the end not to much people will care. It might be a bit more difficult for EK at slot restricted airports but they'll make it work.

And pissing EK off doesn't only effect their A380 line but also other programs (like the A350) where EK might be a customer where they could get more money than from the A380's (which Airbus looses money on).

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 35200
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by sn26567 » 13 Nov 2017, 16:30

9V-SKA, the first A380 to enter commercial service (with Singapore Airlines), is nearing Tarbes on lease return for storage.

Image
André
ex Sabena #26567

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 35200
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by sn26567 » 15 Nov 2017, 23:44

Dr Peters Group (Germany) is in talks with British Airways, an Asian LCC, and others on the potential sale of up to four A380s coming off lease from Singapore Airlines, including the one pictured above.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Bralo20
Posts: 1428
Joined: 12 Aug 2008, 13:48

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by Bralo20 » 16 Nov 2017, 16:40

sn26567 wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 23:44
Dr Peters Group (Germany) is in talks with British Airways, an Asian LCC, and others on the potential sale of up to four A380s coming off lease from Singapore Airlines, including the one pictured above.
Wonder what they might be asking, I'm guessing somewhere in the 75 to 80 million range (maybe even less if they sell them in a bundle) since you can probably get a new one from Airbus somewhere around 200 million since they are have no customers.

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 35200
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by sn26567 » 21 Nov 2017, 12:55

Turkish Airlines currently sees “no need” for the A380, but is open to evaluating the airline’s requirement for the aircraft in the future following the opening of Istanbul’s third airport in October 2018.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Bralo20
Posts: 1428
Joined: 12 Aug 2008, 13:48

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by Bralo20 » 29 Nov 2017, 09:38

Leasing company Amedeo forced to create it's own airline due lack of customers for A380's on order. Since Amedeo can't seem to find an airline that's willing to take A380's they are starting their own, A380-only, airline.

http://newsinflight.com/2017/11/28/plan ... nts-a380s/


Seems that the A380 is really dead and buried already...

sean1982
Posts: 3163
Joined: 18 Mar 2003, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by sean1982 » 29 Nov 2017, 10:00

Bralo20 wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 09:38
Leasing company Amedeo forced to create it's own airline due lack of customers for A380's on order. Since Amedeo can't seem to find an airline that's willing to take A380's they are starting their own, A380-only, airline.

http://newsinflight.com/2017/11/28/plan ... nts-a380s/


Seems that the A380 is really dead and buried already...
It’s a project only still alive puffed up by oil dollars of the Middle East. Maybe if the second hand price drops enough they can persuade some existing customers at very low leasing prices. The economics are not right for this airplane. A B787 can usually take more cargo than an A380 at BA.

User avatar
quixoticguide
Posts: 1654
Joined: 23 Mar 2011, 18:41
Location: Pyongyang, DPRK
Contact:

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by quixoticguide » 29 Nov 2017, 10:04

EK still want the A380neo
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Bralo20
Posts: 1428
Joined: 12 Aug 2008, 13:48

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by Bralo20 » 29 Nov 2017, 11:56

quixoticguide wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 10:04
EK still want the A380neo
Which at this point will never exist. Airbus tried to do a cheap upgrade in the form of the A380Plus but that's probably (very likely) the furthest they will go. Airbus doesn't make money with the A380, I'm not even sure if they reached the break even point yet for the program (which was somewhere in the 400 plane range if I remember correctly), so why wast money for a plane that nobody wants anymore? I guess they can keep the production line open for EK if EK decide to place a big enough order to warrant it but if EK doesn't place any orders the line will be closed in a number of years when all planes ordered will have been build.

A lot has to change for the A380 program to become successful (again). But with the A350 and the 777(x) being very capable planes I'm not so sure that there's a future for the whale, just like there's no future anymore for the queen (besides some cargo orders in that case).

Maybe Airbus can make some money out of the second hand planes if they decide to make an A380P2F but since they dropped the A380F back in the days I doubt this will happen.

User avatar
Yuqu12
Posts: 435
Joined: 04 Mar 2016, 09:41

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by Yuqu12 » 29 Nov 2017, 13:24

I understand the point of EK that they need that big planes at airports with a limited amount of slots where they can't get a second or even third flight a day. If Airbus can find a way to lower the costs of the A380, this project is certainly not dead (yet).

FLYAIR10
Posts: 476
Joined: 08 Sep 2008, 22:05

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by FLYAIR10 » 29 Nov 2017, 14:44

Maybe Airbus can make some money out of the second hand planes if they decide to make an A380P2F but since they dropped the A380F back in the days I doubt this will happen.
It's not very popular these days, but would there possibly be any future for a "Mixed" configuration?
The A380M,pax upstairs and cargo below and in the hold...

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 11232
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by luchtzak » 29 Nov 2017, 14:54

IMG_6460.JPG
Live from Paris CDG

User avatar
quixoticguide
Posts: 1654
Joined: 23 Mar 2011, 18:41
Location: Pyongyang, DPRK
Contact:

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by quixoticguide » 29 Nov 2017, 14:59

luchtzak wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 14:54
IMG_6460.JPG
that's a special plane :D
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

User avatar
quixoticguide
Posts: 1654
Joined: 23 Mar 2011, 18:41
Location: Pyongyang, DPRK
Contact:

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by quixoticguide » 29 Nov 2017, 15:04

Bralo20 wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 11:56
quixoticguide wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 10:04
EK still want the A380neo
Which at this point will never exist. Airbus tried to do a cheap upgrade in the form of the A380Plus but that's probably (very likely) the furthest they will go. Airbus doesn't make money with the A380, I'm not even sure if they reached the break even point yet for the program (which was somewhere in the 400 plane range if I remember correctly), so why wast money for a plane that nobody wants anymore? I guess they can keep the production line open for EK if EK decide to place a big enough order to warrant it but if EK doesn't place any orders the line will be closed in a number of years when all planes ordered will have been build.

A lot has to change for the A380 program to become successful (again). But with the A350 and the 777(x) being very capable planes I'm not so sure that there's a future for the whale, just like there's no future anymore for the queen (besides some cargo orders in that case).

Maybe Airbus can make some money out of the second hand planes if they decide to make an A380P2F but since they dropped the A380F back in the days I doubt this will happen.
If they build the A380neo they can get 150 new orders from Emirates.
Put the A330neo engines under the A380neo?
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Desert Rat
Posts: 1115
Joined: 08 May 2007, 09:38

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by Desert Rat » 30 Nov 2017, 01:10

Bralo20 wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 11:56
so why wast money for a plane that nobody wants anymore?
It is not "anymore"...but "yet" that you should use in your sentence...China will need the 380...but in 5 to 10 years. If prod is not stopped, there's a big chance for the 380 to nail it in China...

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 35200
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Airbus A380 news

Post by sn26567 » 11 Dec 2017, 20:29

Airbus is exploring plans to lower A380 production to as low as six aircraft per year as it looks to secure viable production beyond the end of the decade.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Post Reply