Largest Ever Aircraft Acquisition in Europe: 222 aircraft

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

RoMax

Re: Largest Ever Aircraft Acquisition in Europe: 222 aircraf

Post by RoMax »

cnc wrote:from what i know its:
22 737-800 firm
100 737-MAX8 firm
100 737-MAX8 option
100 A320 firm
50 A320NEO option
Small correction:

100 737-8 MAX firm
22 737-800 NG firm
100 737-8 MAX options

100 A320neo MoU
50 A320neo options

Bit off topic: Boeing just launched their updated orders and deliveries spreadsheet, they have now 150 'firm orders and two cancelations (777). 17 Boeing 738's for Jet Airways, 122 737's for Norwegian, 1 737 for Virgin Australia and 10 787's for an unidentified airline.
For Airbus I don't exactly know what is firm and what not, at least 51 firm A320neo for AviancaTaca and 100 neo MoU of Norwegian. Next to that they also have 9 A350 for Cathay and 2 A330F for Etihad, but I don't know if these are firm.

regi

Post by regi »

What would be the influence of Statoil on the succes of this LCC ?
Regarding the enormous price increases for petrol , could we regard this is as a Scandivean version of the Gulf carriers ?

capetown

Post by capetown »

regi wrote:What would be the influence of Statoil on the succes of this LCC ?
Regarding the enormous price increases for petrol , could we regard this is as a Scandivean version of the Gulf carriers ?
Not so sure ... Norway is not an EU member state, but is part of the European Economic Area (a kind of framework set up between the EU and a number of EFTA States, amongst which Norway). In (very) general lines, it comes down to Norway being able to participate in the European Single Internal Market, without it being a member of the EU. In exchange, it has to adopt all EU legislation in relation to the Single Market (to th e exception of agricultural and fishing industry rules). In my opinion (but I'd have to double check that), that also includes rules on unfair state aids and on free and fair competition in general (as embedded in article 81 and 82 of the EU Treaty). So, imo, if Statoil was found to provide Norwegian with subsidized prices, there are ways to counter that from other EU airlines' point of view...

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Any chance to become bigger than SAS, not only in Norway but also in the whole Scandinavia!?

earthman

Post by earthman »

Norwegian has for example a route between Poland and Spain (or at least they did have one in the past), so they are already not just flying to/from Scandinavia.

The name of the airline is not very good in that respect, who would think of something called 'Norwegian' if they wanted to fly from Poland to Spain?

tsv

Post by tsv »

Brave move but surely extremely high risk.

Economy not good, heaps of competition from established LCC's and Flag Carriers, hub located way north of Central Europe - just to point out a few obvious challenges.

You have to ask what is the hidden diamond in their Business Plan that can deliver them success. They will need a real Sparkler to pull this off.

earthman

Post by earthman »

Ow I just read an old news message how Norwegian closed their base in Warsaw in 2010, after four years of operation, and moved the planes to Helsinki instead. Maybe they'll come back?