Brussels Airport to extend the A-pier ?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Air Key West

Brussels Airport to extend the A-pier ?

Post by Air Key West »

Conti764 wrote:but when A-pier West is finished
Has the decision already been made to build an extension of the A-pier to the west ?
In favor of quality air travel.

Atlantis

Re: brussels airlines to New York!

Post by Atlantis »

Air Key West wrote:
Conti764 wrote:but when A-pier West is finished
I's off topic, but has the decision already been made to build an extension of the A-pier to the west ?
Hi Air Key West,

Yes the decision is made. Some time ago Brussels Airport communicated this officialy that the extension to the West will come (it is very needed) and a new "connector" from the Terminal to the Pier A.
If everything goes according to plan, then the extension should be finished in 2015.

In this masterplan also the extension of Brucargo is involved and the refurbishment of the old Terminal building which is called "The Gateway".

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Thanks, Atlantis. I remember now that you have refreshed my memory. So, it's going to be at least another five years of hardship for those with long connection times to Africa, especially from JFK with b.air which is the first flight from the US to arrive at BRU, but it's a first flight for b.air. Let's assume things/flights will improve with time.
In favor of quality air travel.

azingrew

Post by azingrew »

thanks cathay

B.Inventive

Re: Brussels Airport to extend the A-pier ?

Post by B.Inventive »

If it is to be finished in 2015, and tomorrow is 2012, isn't it only 3 more years? (if all goes according to plan...)

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Any idea on when these projects will start (The Gateway, Connector, A-pier West,...)? In 2012 I assume (at least for a part of the projects), but more already more details?

btw, weren't there also plans to finish the underground bagage system of the A-pier? Don't know much about that, but wasn't this build for Sabena but never finished after they went bankrupt? I tought I heard something about that earlier this year that they want to finish this right now to accomodate the hub activities of SN/Star...

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

It seems the A Pier underground luggage system is finished but never used (fine tuning never done !)

zteven

Post by zteven »

It has been tested several times, though.
But indeed, never actually put in service.

Greetz,

WC_EEND

Post by WC_EEND »

Airbus330lover wrote:It seems the A Pier underground luggage system is finished but never used (fine tuning never done !)
Actually, this seems like something typically Belgian to me.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

WC_EEND wrote:
Actually, this seems like something typically Belgian to me.
Actually I heard they never used it because they never really needed anymore after the collapse of Sabena (and the A-pier was not finished before the collapse of Sabena). Because after that there was no airline really operating hub activities at the A-pier in BRU and made the underground system not really necessary. This now changed with SN/Star Alliance.

So any idea if (and if yes, when) this system will be taken into service?

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Thanks Mr Boeing for bringing things back into perspective.

As the Sabena collapse occured 6 months prior to the opening of the A Pier, a great deal of the equipment was already installed, the civil works were done for some time and of course the master plan was set years ahead.
If I remember correctly, the traffic pattern included 30% transfer. This went down to less than 3% overnight.

In early November, all contractors were requested to value several options :
  • - penalty for cancelling the contract as is and stopping any further deliveries/installations.
    - penalty for revision of scope
    - continuing with the full scope and planning, but with additional cost for mothballing the equipment including preventive maintenance to keep it in operational condition until hell freeezes over.
In the case of our equipment, the numbers showed that then BIAC was better off carrying on ;)

The BHS had its own trouble, running over cost and late, so that didn't help as it represented a major cost item in the global project.
The system has then been limited to part of the Pier, till about the drive-through at stand 159 or so, coming from the Topaz and the muti-conveyor tunnel (that delayed opening of stand 143 for months) across the apron, alongside the pax tunnel.

Let's hope the BHS will be finnaly used some time in the future.

H.A.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

MR_Boeing wrote:btw, weren't there also plans to finish the underground bagage system of the A-pier?
The underground bagage system is finished already since a couple of years. The total investment was 20 million euro.
But then some problems in aviation appear and they had more then enough capacity with the current system under the Terminal.

Goal is to use this own new system with the opening and the use of the new extension of Pier West.
Then they will need this system badly.

When this is operational they can refurbish and updated the current one.