brussels airlines to New York!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

brusselsairlinesfan

brussels airlines to New York!

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Dear All,

It seems clear now - according to the brussels airlines press conference today - that SN will send their own birds to New York in 2012!

This new destination will be a major step forward for my favourite airline!

More information would be welcomed...

Cheers,

Vincent, Paris (F)

andorra-airport

Re: brussels airlines to New York!

Post by andorra-airport »

Yes but that press conference was about the 60 jobs that may be lost, and about the 80 million loss this year. (new topic?) .They only state that they will fly to NYC in June, next year.

In Dutch: http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/996/Econom ... ines.dhtml

brusselsairlinesfan

Of course that was the main information of the press conference... Heavy losses combined with jobs cuts are dramatic (see topic regarding brussels airlines in the newspapers)...
However, this is the first time (well... I may be wrong...) that NYC is officially confirmed as brussels airlines first TATL destination.

brusselsairlinesfan

I am french and I can't understant dutch unfortunately... however, De Morgen seems to confirm the new BRU-NYC ops being planned in june!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:I am french and I can't understant dutch unfortunately... however, De Morgen seems to confirm the new BRU-NYC ops being planned in june!
Article also available in French: http://trends.levif.be/economie/actuali ... q2BOiJdplA
André
ex Sabena #26567

FlightMate

Post by FlightMate »

I suppose we will be using an A330 to fly there then.

Are we ETOPS "enough" approved to fly transatlantic on a twin?
I remember VanGaever/Delsey used to have problems with their certification, and had to fly longer route because of it, which cost a lot of fuel/money.

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

FlightMate wrote:Are we ETOPS "enough" approved to fly transatlantic on a twin?
SN's long haul fleet is ETOPS 120 certified as Africa isn't exactly the place where you have a multitude of alternatates readily available to you should you want to divert mid-flight, over the Sahara...

Stij

Post by Stij »

ETOPS 120 should do the trick, just a small spot should be avoided...

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=bru-jfk&MS=wls&DU=mi&E=120

It shouldn't bother to much...

Off topic, by looking at this map, I guess JAF's 767-300's are ETOPS 120 as well?

Cheers,

Stij

brusselsairlinesfan

Perfect!
Will ops start together with the forthcoming timetable?

Phatius

Post by Phatius »

Off topic answer ;) JAF 767-300's are ETOPS 138

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

Start spreading the news... :-)

Good news from SN. It's sad that they need to dump flights in Europe but this is how the market is nowadays.

Yesterday Le Soir was reporting something about negociations on Egypt rotations. Is that related to the Club Med deal for places like SSH or will SN soon be opening up flight to CAI in place/jointly with Star partner MS?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

BrightCedars wrote:Yesterday Le Soir was reporting something about negociations on Egypt rotations.
We remain off topic. This is for the charter triangular flights between BRU, SSH and Taba, where crew would have to make 12-hour duties, at the limit of what is allowed by law.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

At the limit is not over the limit. JAF crews do it all the time, I don't see the problem IMHO

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

Ok, to get back on topic then, but thanks for the info.

Now that New York is announced as SN's first destination in the US (JFK seems to be the preferred choice but EWR is not excluded), and that SN is declaring that it wants to fly more longhaul (I have to say that with the weakening euro it's a good time to increase your dollar accounts), which do you think would be SN's next USA destination? Is SFO really a possibility as it was mentioned in the early days of this going West campaign?
Other than that I only see BOS as a destination that could plug into the puzzle quite well with Star Alliance and otehr partners (9W,...).

Or could it be that SN would fly its own metal to Japan if NH doesn't come here first? There remains one other destination that is not served from BRU and is said to have a lot of potential which is HKG, any chance there?

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

sean1982 wrote:At the limit is not over the limit. JAF crews do it all the time, I don't see the problem IMHO
Don't take it wrong, but I'm not sure JAF is to be seen as the right benchmark in that case (though for some...). Have you heard about the turnaround time they're planning in Thailand to stay within the limits ? When you talk about flight time duty times you have to consider the whole package ;) and consider a whole batch of elements.
Secondly I don't think comparing JAF with SN will make the debate more interesting. The constraints and sectors are really different. Is Lufthansa comparing itself to TuiFly ? BA with Thomsonfly ? KLM with Arkefly ? Air France with Corsair ? No. But again for some...

convair

Post by convair »

A little off-topic: why not add Montreal? With so many official/cultural links between Québec province and the french-speaking belgians!

AF flies there trwice daily with big a/c and I even heard of a third one on some days! Belgians/Swiss and possibly others could then avoid that awful CDG! ;)

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

BrightCedars wrote:SN is declaring that it wants to fly more longhaul (I have to say that with the weakening euro it's a good time to increase your dollar accounts), which do you think would be SN's next USA destination? Is SFO really a possibility as it was mentioned in the early days of this going West campaign?
Other than that I only see BOS as a destination that could plug into the puzzle quite well with Star Alliance and otehr partners (9W,...).

Or could it be that SN would fly its own metal to Japan if NH doesn't come here first? There remains one other destination that is not served from BRU and is said to have a lot of potential which is HKG, any chance there?
Maybe not an US destination but what do you think about YUL, instead of AC? And AC can do a direct flight to YYZ.
It's not a secret that SN is filling a big part of the AC flight. Lots of pax connecting in BRU to AFI

convair

Post by convair »

To OO-ITR: I saw it first! :lol: ;)

134flyer

Post by 134flyer »

convair wrote:A little off-topic: why not add Montreal? With so many official/cultural links between Québec province and the french-speaking belgians!

AF flies there trwice daily with big a/c and I even heard of a third one on some days! Belgians/Swiss and possibly others could then avoid that awful CDG! ;)
Well obviously, AC is flying to YUL already, but indeed it might be an option to let SN fly to YUL and let AC fly to YYZ nonstop (anybody knows how high the pax numbers to YYZ on the AC flight are?)

What about IAH?

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

convair wrote:To OO-ITR: I saw it first! :lol: ;)
haha yeah you beat me in one minute...next time i'll have to type faster ;)