Brussels Airlines future and financial perspective

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Flanker2

Re: Brussels Airlines future and financial perspective

Post by Flanker2 »

Acording to reports, LH is taking over the Air Berlin routes, so I see LH focussing on that and eventually integration into EW.
Because of this, I don't see LH making any decision on SN right now, as previously analysed.
Can they delay to next spring or is this their last chance to exercise?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Flanker2 wrote:Because of this, I don't see LH making any decision on SN right now, as previously analysed.
Rumours and gossip don't lead to "an analysis", even not when repeated 100 times. Rumours and gossip result in unproven assumptions. Only people who were/are present at meetings between Lufthansa and Brussels Airlines know what is agreed.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Conti764 wrote: Then replace 'Brussels' with 'Belgium' ;)
Could well be.
The great philosopher and humanist D. Trump recently said : "Belgium is a nice little city."
;)

H.A.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

For my part when I ask poeple around the globe about Brussels it's mostly very positive....
And we'll known !
Hasta la victoria siempre.

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

lumumba wrote:For my part when I ask poeple around the globe about Brussels it's mostly very positive....
And we'll known !
same impression here. People have realised by now that an attack can happen anywhere...unfortunately

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/wirtschaft/l ... -1.3154894

At the end of the story, probably on 28/9:

Außerdem will Lufthansa Eurowings schnell ausbauen. Der Aufsichtsrat wird deshalb voraussichtlich auch beschließen, die belgische Brussels Airlines vollständig zu übernehmen und bei Eurowings einzubringen. Lufthansa hält derzeit 45 Prozent der Anteile an Brussels.

Translated:
In addition, Lufthansa Euro Wings plans to expand quickly. The Supervisory Board is therefore also expected to decide the Belgian Brussels Airlines to fully take over and bring in Euro Wings. Lufthansa currently holds 45 per cent stake in Brussels.

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Strange, I read a few days ago that a negiator of SN rather chooses not to enter the LH-group then fade into the EW-project. If this would be the case, it would be a very sad thing for SN and furthermore the whole Belgian aviation industry :( I am still wondering how LH is going to integrate the long haul part of SN into EW?

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

Indeed, LH seems to use every opportunity now to grow eurowings as fast as possible. Wet leasing 40 (!) aircraft incl. crews from Air Berlin already from October / November this year (if this information proves to be correct) seems to be the next step in this strategy (basically all planes of Air Berlin not based in either Berlin or Dusseldorf). Would be no surprise to me, if more, including (parts of?) Brussels Airlines, would follow and be integrated in eurowings as well quite soon.
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

I really fail to understand why LH absolutely wants (if proven...) to integrate SN into EW...
brussels airlines august performances seem to be the best of the whole LH Group!

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:I really fail to understand why LH absolutely wants (if proven...) to integrate SN into EW...
brussels airlines august performances seem to be the best of the whole LH Group!
indeed, hopefully SN is though enough to say that they won't join the LH group if it is only to become EW Belgium :D

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Guys, I wouldn't worry. The article only says that LH is going to decide whether or not to take-over SN.
Like I said, it's unlikely that they will do two EW integrations at the same time.
The 30% of Air Berlin's network will be an absolute priority for them in the coming months, so they'll probably do what they have done for the past 6 or 7 years, ie the standard "very interested in SN but we'll decide come spring".

The AB integration is almost as large as SN and there are a lot of things to take care of.
EW has messed up so much so far, so this is one that they will focus on right now.

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

From LH point of view, I do not really see the point

Eurowings will not be part of *A, so this is an advantage lost
What about the Transatlantic JV?
What about the Africa flights?
What about the connecting passengers? Would this be kept?

Perhaps some of the seasonal/vacation flights could make sense, the rest..
Don't really see it

Stij

Post by Stij »

ezis_bis wrote:Perhaps some of the seasonal/vacation flights could make sense, the rest..
Don't really see it
And even these don't make sense: SN can now fly a business destination during the weeks in the morning and the evening and fly a leisure destination mid day. And just fly to leisure destinations during the weekend...

On the other hand, there's something I don't get: LH is supporting SN's growth, also if this growth is not a Eurowings style of growth... If they wanted to integrate SN into Eurowings, you don't want it to grow in the wrong direction...

The larger and more successful SN will become, the more difficult it will be to assimilate it into Eurowings.

So, maybe time is on SN's side...

Then again, the Belgian shareholders have their eyes on an exit scenario... and LH knows this...

Cheers,

Stij

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

Stij wrote: And even these don't make sense: SN can now fly a business destination during the weeks in the morning and the evening and fly a leisure destination mid day. And just fly to leisure destinations during the weekend...
Also a good point

Well, we'll see how this pans out

I was rather hoping BRU could expand as *A hub, soon I will go from Estonia to Canada
It is a convenience place to connect for me, not too big or too crowded

And as I live in a place which is mainly served by regional jets or turboprops, I somehow hoped that SN would also consider planes smaller than an A319. Everyone now goes for larger and larger planes, which economically makes sense, but the periphery starts to loose out

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

http://www.tijd.be/nieuws/archief/Bruss ... 1473758374 (article in Dutch)

This is an article from the Belgian newspaper "De Tijd". In this article, a source close to the negotiations says that they don't want to see SN fade into EW and destroy consequently what they have build from the bankrupt Sabena. He/she also states that the negotiations aren't hostile. The scenarios go from fully integration into EW till the fully hybrid business model from SN in the LH group.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Yuqu12 wrote:... the fully hybrid business model from SN in the LH group.
which I believe is the future:

1 well structured integrated network with hubs in each home market, each with its market specialty, but with local brands. In conclusion: they can learn from AB Inbev.

And if you really really wanted one brand: let it be the most known: Lufthansa. But avoid keeping that for yourself and assimilating teh others in a second class bland name like Eurowings. Listen to your EQ instead of IQ because you're insulting the homemarkets with Eurowings.

Cheers,

Stij

AIRMARSHAL

Post by AIRMARSHAL »

Last edited by AIRMARSHAL on 25 Nov 2016, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

AIRMARSHAL wrote:
Stij wrote:
Yuqu12 wrote:... the fully hybrid business model from SN in the LH group.
which I believe is the future:

1 well structured integrated network with hubs in each home market, each with its market specialty, but with local brands. In conclusion: they can learn from AB Inbev.

And if you really really wanted one brand: let it be the most known: Lufthansa. But avoid keeping that for yourself and assimilating teh others in a second class bland name like Eurowings. Listen to your EQ instead of IQ because you're insulting the homemarkets with Eurowings.

Cheers,

Stij
I like your plan B idea of one big Lufthansa branded monster company in Austria, Belgium, Germany and Switserland
This could indeed work, but then they have to integrate EW, Austrian and Swiss in LH? That is a little bit more work than put SN or Air Berlin in EW and thus less interesting from economic viewpoint... Rather a hybrid business model for SN then :D

Stij

Post by Stij »

Yuqu12 wrote:This could indeed work, but then they have to integrate EW, Austrian and Swiss in LH? That is a little bit more work than put SN or Air Berlin in EW and thus less interesting from economic viewpoint... Rather a hybrid business model for SN then :D
That's why I wrote "If you really really wanted..."

Cheers,

Stij

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Will LH give a clear answer/position towards SN by the end of the month? Or are they gonna postpone their decision again?