EgyptAir Cabin Crew Demand right to wear hijab

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

EgyptAir Cabin Crew Demand right to wear hijab

Post by sn26567 »

EgyptAir flight attendants organized a protest on Sunday outside the Ministry of Civil Aviation to demand their right to wear a hijab (headscarf) while working. The flight attendants had previously presented a formal request to the company about the issue.

EgyptAir Chairman Hussein Massoud said that a committee was formed nearly a month ago to study the flight attendants’ request. He went on to say that any change in uniform policy would take time and that a number of considerations would have to be taken into account in order to design a uniform which would be suitable for the hijab.

Masoud added that the committee includes two female flight attendants who are part of the push to allow the wearing of the hijab, and that it will make the final decision as to whether or not a change is feasible.

Source: Flight Africa
André
ex Sabena #26567

OO-LRM

Re: EgyptAir Cabin Crew Demand right to wear hijab

Post by OO-LRM »

Another good reason not to fly them!
Being a LH Senator i a ashamed they are a Star Alliance member!
Not the management but some of their crew!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

When I flew Egyptair one year ago, I was surprised in fact to see that their female cabin crew did not wear the hijab. Together with the wife of president Mubarak, they must be the only Egyptian ladies not to wear the hijab.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

OO-LRM wrote:Another good reason not to fly them!
Being a LH Senator i a ashamed they are a Star Alliance member!
Not the management but some of their crew!
What is the relationship between your LH Senator, and the fact that some Egyptair CC's want to wear the Hijab?

If they want to wear it, so be it, will the service be better or worst...I don't think so...
Last edited by Desert Rat on 19 Jul 2011, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.

b720

Post by b720 »

well, keeping passions out of this debate..it remains a debate, no need for stupid remarks, like the one posted above.
Hijab is part of egypt s tradition.. it is up to the management of Egyptair, and employees, to decide whether
the hijab in the cabin is acceptable or not. Other airlines in the region have incorporated a kind of a head
dress which is compatible with traditions of the region without it being an eyesore to those from outside the region, nor a provocation to those against the headscarf.. examples being emirates, etihad, gulfair etc..
on a personal note, I personally believe that if a woman decides to wear a headscarf, she should resign from her work stay home and make a baby every year. that is my personal view, nothing to do with egypt air or ony ather air..

fretn

Post by fretn »

The headscarf is not that popular in Egypt, Copts make 15% of the country so they don't wear them mostly, also the upper class is rather liberal in Egypt. Also, I wouldn't mind a simple headscarf, but a full "outfit" would certainly get in the way of proper service.

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

No harm as long as they look good and work effeciently, Royal Brunei have it too, the only non-Saudi and Irani airline to do that so far.

b720

Post by b720 »

the problem here is that the management of the airline will either have to allow those who wish to wear the headscarf to do so.. resulting in a some wearing it, others not.. automatically the headscarf becomes a religious symbol for the person wearing it.. or on the other hand egyptair will have to remodel their F.A> costumes to incorporate a headscarf for all making the head cover a part of the costume rather than a religious symbol.. however this will make the minority asking for the head cover impose their ways on all the crew.. i guess the best option is to leave things as they are.. those who really want to wear a headscarf should be encouraged to resign and go home.

galaxy

Post by galaxy »

b720 wrote: those who really want to wear a headscarf should be encouraged to resign and go home.
Are you serious ? 90 % of Egyptian people are muslims.I think the majority will wear a headscarf.
Funny to see the picture of the Egyptian crew, where only the male pilots are wearing ...............a hat ! ! ! !

cnc

Post by cnc »

galaxy wrote: Are you serious ? 90 % of Egyptian people are muslims.I think the majority will wear a headscarf.
i guess a lot of them will be forced by their family once its allowed.
i agree with b720, if they really want it then they should resign and not be part of an international airline like MS.

TCAS_climb

Post by TCAS_climb »

Would a PBE/smoke-hood be acceptable too?

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

cnc wrote:i guess a lot of them will be forced by their family once its allowed.
Yep, that's what it is about really. Comes down to the eternal contradiction of democracy having to be imposed upon some people. Not really an aviation discussion, though.

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

I won't mind if I would fly MS, but I must be able to see a real face not a mask,a scarf is fine ( but not quite easy for doing their job I guess ).
It's a thing for the management for MS, some things pro ( personal freedom ) some things against..
BUT in this case my opinion is that other religious things must be also included for jews,catholic crosses and so on..

My personal option is NO, but I'm not of the MS board.
I prefer Singapore,Southwest,.. less is more haha..

CX-B
New types flown 2022.. A339

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

I'm going off slighlty off topic, but has anyone got any experience with MS in Business and Economy on long haul flights ? What is their long haul product like ?
In favor of quality air travel.

regi

Post by regi »

cathay belgium wrote: I prefer Singapore,Southwest,.. less is more haha..
CX-B
If you want to see less, fly Kulula ! A jeans, a green polo and ( fake) Nike's. That's it.
http://www.terminalu.com/travel-destina ... a-com/866/
http://www.google.be/imgres?imgurl=http ... 24&bih=654