Thai to serve BRU as from Nov 2011 !

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Thai to serve BRU as from next fall!

Post by sn26567 »

Certair32 wrote:One question remains which is more or less connected with this topic. What equipment will Thomas Cook use to fly to Bangkok or Phuket? Will they fly with XL-airways as they did in the past? Or will they buy seats with Thai to Bangkok and then connect to Phuket? Or will they work with an other airline?
Thomas Cook officially announced that they will offer flights to Thailand on the thrice weekly flights of Thai, moreover at competitive prices.

Serious competition for JAF and its once weekly flight, which might nevertheless have a price advantage.
André
ex Sabena #26567

regi

Re: Thai to serve BRU as from Nov 2011 !

Post by regi »

capetown wrote:Sawadee khrap !
Not that it still matters a lot, but TG also made it official now.
A bit weird to state that Brussels is close to the Netherlands so the route might be good for those working at the International Criminal Court in The Hague :? (Although it has to be said reference to EU and Nato is made as well...)
Hello,

received this by personnal email from the Thai office in Brussels:

THAI Introduces Direct Flights from Bangkok to Brussels, Belgium

Today (27 June 2011), Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI) announced the introduction of direct flights to be operated thrice weekly non-stop on the route Bangkok – Brussels v.v., utilizing Boeing 777-200ER aircraft, with service commencing on 17 November 2011.

Mr. Pandit Chanapai, THAI Executive Vice President for Commercial, said, “THAI is pleased to introduce Brussels as its newest destination to serve the European Union (EU), as the only Southeast Asian carrier to operate non-stop flights on the route Bangkok-Brussels v.v. Flights to Brussels will serve business travel among the international community from Thailand and the European Union conducting state travel. Leisure passengers from Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, and France will also take advantage of direct flights into Bangkok, with passengers traveling beyond Bangkok to Thai domestic destinations and other parts of Southeast Asia.”

THAI will operate a total of three flights per week from Bangkok to Brussels. THAI’s direct service on flight TG934 will depart Bangkok on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 00.30 hours and arrive in Brussels at 07.00 hours. On the return, flight TG935 will depart Brussels on the same day at 13.30 hours and arrive in Bangkok at 06.20 hours on the next day. Total flight time on the Bangkok-Brussels route is 12.30 hours and 10.50 hours on the return from Brussels-Bangkok. Brussels is THAI’s 72nd destination.

THAI will utilize Boeing 777-200ER aircraft on the Bangkok-Brussels v.v. route and can carry a total of 292 passengers with 30 seats in Royal Silk Class and 262 seats in Economy Class, with seats in all classes of travel equipped with personal screens and the latest in-flight entertainment system.

Brussels is the capital of Belgium and the European Union. As Brussels is within close proximity to the Netherlands, THAI’s direct flight serves state travel conducted by officials from the International Court of Justice in The Hague as well as other international organizations headquartered in Brussels such as the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).

Flights on the route Bangkok-Brussels v.v. may be reserved as of 1 July 2011 onwards.

For more information, passengers may refer to http://www.thaiairways.com, contact THAI’s offices worldwide, or THAI’s Call Center at Tel. (662) 356-1111, 24 hours.

Flight Schedule for Bangkok-Brussels v.v.

Route
Flight
Flight Dates
Departure
Arrival
Aircraft Type
Bangkok-Brussels
TG934
Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday
Boeing 777-200ER
Brussels-Bangkok
TG935
Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday
06.20 +1
Boeing 777-200ER

capetown

Post by capetown »

regi wrote:
capetown wrote:Sawadee khrap !
Not that it still matters a lot, but TG also made it official now.
A bit weird to state that Brussels is close to the Netherlands so the route might be good for those working at the International Criminal Court in The Hague :? (Although it has to be said reference to EU and Nato is made as well...)
Hello,

received this by personnal email from the Thai office in Brussels:

THAI Introduces Direct Flights from Bangkok to Brussels, Belgium

Today (27 June 2011), Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI) announced the introduction of direct flights to be operated thrice weekly non-stop on the route Bangkok – Brussels v.v., utilizing Boeing 777-200ER aircraft, with service commencing on 17 November 2011.

Mr. Pandit Chanapai, THAI Executive Vice President for Commercial, said, “THAI is pleased to introduce Brussels as its newest destination to serve the European Union (EU), as the only Southeast Asian carrier to operate non-stop flights on the route Bangkok-Brussels v.v. Flights to Brussels will serve business travel among the international community from Thailand and the European Union conducting state travel. Leisure passengers from Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, and France will also take advantage of direct flights into Bangkok, with passengers traveling beyond Bangkok to Thai domestic destinations and other parts of Southeast Asia.”

THAI will operate a total of three flights per week from Bangkok to Brussels. THAI’s direct service on flight TG934 will depart Bangkok on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 00.30 hours and arrive in Brussels at 07.00 hours. On the return, flight TG935 will depart Brussels on the same day at 13.30 hours and arrive in Bangkok at 06.20 hours on the next day. Total flight time on the Bangkok-Brussels route is 12.30 hours and 10.50 hours on the return from Brussels-Bangkok. Brussels is THAI’s 72nd destination.

THAI will utilize Boeing 777-200ER aircraft on the Bangkok-Brussels v.v. route and can carry a total of 292 passengers with 30 seats in Royal Silk Class and 262 seats in Economy Class, with seats in all classes of travel equipped with personal screens and the latest in-flight entertainment system.

Brussels is the capital of Belgium and the European Union. As Brussels is within close proximity to the Netherlands, THAI’s direct flight serves state travel conducted by officials from the International Court of Justice in The Hague as well as other international organizations headquartered in Brussels such as the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).

Flights on the route Bangkok-Brussels v.v. may be reserved as of 1 July 2011 onwards.

For more information, passengers may refer to http://www.thaiairways.com, contact THAI’s offices worldwide, or THAI’s Call Center at Tel. (662) 356-1111, 24 hours.
... yes indeed, press release which has been slightly reworked by this journalist of the Bangkok Post (using, rather hands-on, the verb "to (Brussels) sprout" in the header ;) ) : "THAI sprouts Brussels leg" ...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/avi ... ussels-leg

They seem to be considering non-stop BKK-VIE too by the way...

Certair32

Post by Certair32 »

sn26567 wrote:
Certair32 wrote:One question remains which is more or less connected with this topic. What equipment will Thomas Cook use to fly to Bangkok or Phuket? Will they fly with XL-airways as they did in the past? Or will they buy seats with Thai to Bangkok and then connect to Phuket? Or will they work with an other airline?
Thomas Cook officially announced that they will offer flights to Thailand on the thrice weekly flights of Thai, moreover at competitive prices.

Serious competition for JAF and its once weekly flight, which might nevertheless have a price advantage.
Thank you! It is now official!

Serious competition this winter from Brussels to Thailand! I wonder if other leisure long haul destinations will suffer!

Stij

Post by Stij »

sn26567 wrote:Serious competition for JAF and its once weekly flight, which might nevertheless have a price advantage.
Don't get me wrong, I love JAF short / medium haul, but...

When I have the choice of spending 12 hours in a Thai plane with a seatpitch of 34 and IFE or 12 hours in a JAF plane with a seatpitch of 30 or 31 (don't know) and no IFE... My choice is easily made! Even if the ticket costs more!

Cheers,

Stij

regi

Post by regi »

Stij wrote:
sn26567 wrote:Serious competition for JAF and its once weekly flight, which might nevertheless have a price advantage.
Don't get me wrong, I love JAF short / medium haul, but...

When I have the choice of spending 12 hours in a Thai plane with a seatpitch of 34 and IFE or 12 hours in a JAF plane with a seatpitch of 30 or 31 (don't know) and no IFE... My choice is easily made! Even if the ticket costs more!

Cheers,

Stij
It is an uncomparable product.
And the flights to Phuket were never cheap !

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

Stij wrote: When I have the choice of spending 12 hours in a Thai plane with a seatpitch of 34 and IFE or 12 hours in a JAF plane with a seatpitch of 30 or 31 (don't know) and no IFE... My choice is easily made! Even if the ticket costs more!
First, it is 30, yes. Second, a company like JAF is another product. You fly them in combination with a cheap holiday package, or when there is no direct flight , with a "normal" airline. For me like Amsterdam - Fortaleza with ArkeFly, instead of the often more expensive TAP with a stop in Lisbon.

Stij

Post by Stij »

True true true true,

Now I considered JAF to fly to Thailand (never been there, said to be beautiful) as they offered direct flights, but now that Thai starts, I changed my mind for the reasons mentionned above.

I mean, even iof the product offering is different, JAF copuld have attracted flight only pax who wanted to fly direct, but now that market is going to be very difficult.

Enjoy the weekend,

Stij

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

JAF has not lost the battle yet. For a small surcharge, they offer a Comfort class with several amenities like more leg room, better meals (and free drinks) and individual IFE. Moreover they also serve the vacation destination Phuket directly.

Competition has its advantages!
André
ex Sabena #26567

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

I checked the prices...

In November around 800 euro
In december and january around 1300 euro

Not that cheap, but that was expected from a carrier like Thai :)

I wanted to go to Thailand around the holidays, but i think i am to late, the prices are to high!

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Whereas Jetair may have somewhat of an edge with the non-stop flight to Phuket indeed, I'd say Thomas Cook still offers the better flights thanks to the much bigger seat pitch (almost 10cm!), the fact you have personal IFE all throughout their cabins, get far superior in-flight service and not to forget will also be able to differentiate the duration of your holidays (12 days, 18 days, 24 days etc) as well as to better choose the day of departure, iso having to settle for just 1,2 or 3 weeks with a fixed departure date.

The fact Thomas Cook is not going to use JAF (or another charter airline) for their flights, but has opted for a premium airline like THAI instead, is going to make life very hard for their competitors, even if we limit the scope to just the market segment of package holidays, and forget about the odd flights only and stuff like that!

Seriously, I think it's going to be a very steep uphill battle for Jetair...

itami

Post by itami »

Unfortunately the maiden flight is scheduled for Nov 17 and it might still be dark when it arrives at BRU early in the morning. :(

capetown

Post by capetown »

Flights can now be booked. Just checked it out (randomly) on TG website and, well, maybe not dirt cheap but not that horribly expensive neither if you ask me : to give you an exemple, 766 EUR BRU-BKK-BRU, dep Nov 22, rtrn Dec 8. :) (Economy class ; 2181 EUR in Business).

Brussels to Bangkok
Flight 1 Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Departure: 13:30 Brussels, Belgium - Brussels Airport, terminal I
Arrival: 06:20 +1 day(s) Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International
Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG935 e
Aircraft: Boeing 777-200/300
Fare type: Economy Restricted

Bangkok to Brussels
Flight 1 Thursday, December 08, 2011

Departure: 00:30 Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International
Arrival: 07:00 Brussels, Belgium - Brussels Airport, terminal I
Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG934 e
Aircraft: Boeing 777-200/300
Fare type: Economy Restricted

Legend:
e = e-ticket option,
EUR = Euro
Price
Travellers Flights Taxes
1 adult(s) x (485.00 + 281.87) = 766.87 EUR
total for all travellers 766.87 EUR

Looks like a fair deal to me : a direct flight with the Nr. 5 Top Airline of the world according to SkyTrax' 2011 survey (and remember, having the world's best economy class seats and economy inflight catering according to that same survey)... I really can't see how someone could convince me to book JAF when you see this offer... But then again I have my Emirates miles so I'll go A380 again I think in November ... :twisted:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The JetairFly website mentions prices of 399,99€ (one-way, either way) for BRU-BKK and 529,99€ (one-way, either way) for BRU-HKT. But these prices are also valid for the peak period (Jan-Feb-Mar).

Comfort service is 64,50€ more expensive (also one way) for both destinations. This might make comfort similar to that of Thai. This option includes:
• Leather Comfort Service seats with more legroom in a separate cabin. The "pitch" (space between the seats) is between 83 and 86 cm (33-34 in.)
• Separate check-in desk at Zaventem airport
• 30 kg luggage per person allowed plus 1 piece of hand luggage (max. 10 kg.)
• Aperitif offered to newly-weds (to be mentioned upon booking)
• Excellent hot and cold meals
• Non-alcoholic drinks are served free of charge during the entire flight, wine or beer served with meals and spirits after hot meals
• Comfort travel set
• Free use of an individual Personal Digeplayer offering a large and varied film and music programme
“Improved Service” on board:
- champagne
- express luggage handling, so that your priority luggage is among the first on the belt in most cases
- the day’s Belgian newspaper during the return flight.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

tolipanebas wrote:Whereas Jetair may have somewhat of an edge with the non-stop flight to Phuket indeed, I'd say Thomas Cook still offers the better flights thanks to the much bigger seat pitch (almost 10cm!), the fact you have personal IFE all throughout their cabins, get far superior in-flight service and not to forget will also be able to differentiate the duration of your holidays (12 days, 18 days, 24 days etc) as well as to better choose the day of departure, iso having to settle for just 1,2 or 3 weeks with a fixed departure date.

The fact Thomas Cook is not going to use JAF (or another charter airline) for their flights, but has opted for a premium airline like THAI instead, is going to make life very hard for their competitors, even if we limit the scope to just the market segment of package holidays, and forget about the odd flights only and stuff like that!

Seriously, I think it's going to be a very steep uphill battle for Jetair...
But still Jetair has some undeniable advantages over Thomas Cook.

One of them is that JAF keeps everything 'in house' while FQ will be depending on TG. Price and capacity will be in favour of JAF, while in flight service will be in favour of FQ.

But as a tourist, which is the main target for JAF and for FQ the only target, price is much more important than in flight service.

Unless TG is desperate to fill their Y-cabin I doubt FQ managed to negociate a deal that brings them to the pricelevel of JAF, let alone the capacity JAF can offer. Besides, they don't fly alone to Phuket, but bring in Best Tours, Sunjets and VTB Reizen, which will provide a nice stream of pax as well.

As a tourist flying to Thailand, I'd care less about frequence. If I'm flying 10+ hours to reach my destination, I'd rather stay 14 days, especially if I can stay at Thailand longer for roughly the same price then with FQ for a shorter period, because they have to buy much more expensive seats from TG, while JAF keeps everything in house.

All in all, both will do fine and for FQ the situation is easier to manage since they only have to sell seats on board of TG planes while JAF has to 'worry' about everything else, but I'm pretty sure JAF will do just fine on the route. Luckily for them the touristic market between Belgium and Thailand is probably bigger than between Belgium and Florida ;)

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

sn26567 wrote:The JetairFly website mentions prices of 399,99€ (one-way, either way) for BRU-BKK and 529,99€ (one-way, either way) for BRU-HKT. But these prices are also valid for the peak period (Jan-Feb-Mar).Comfort service is 64,50€ more expensive (also one way) for both destinations. This might make comfort similar to that of Thai.
As others have said already, Thai is one the top 5 airlines of the world according to Skytrax, beating premium airlines like Swiss, Jet Airways, Emirates or Etihad and Thai were specifically singled out by Skytrax because of their superior economy product (both the seats and the service)!

Suggesting any charter airline's 'Comfort Class' -or whatever they call the cabin compartment in which they give you a newspaper and a portable DVD player as IFE- comes even close to that of one of these premium airlines is just a a little bit too much of a stretch to let pass unnoticed, I am afraid...

Don't get me wrong: I have nothing against JAF as such: they are offering a correct service on long haul as a charter airline, but they simply can not compete against an airline like Thai and even tourists in economy will feel the difference.

The question is: will tourist be willing to pay a premium for a better service and much more comfort?

Will definitely be interesting to watch if there will be a big price difference between Thomas Cook and Jetair for package holidays to Thailand, but somehow I have a feeling such a difference -if any- is not going going to be as huge as some seem to expect. Otherwise Thomas Cook would not have opted for Thai over anything else, given they know many tourists are very price consious indeed.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

tolipanebas wrote: Will definitely be interesting to watch if there will be a big price difference between Thomas Cook and Jetair for package holidays to Thailand, but somehow I have a feeling such a difference -if any- is not going going to be as huge as some seem to expect. Otherwise Thomas Cook would not have opted for Thai over anything else, given they know many tourists are very price consious indeed.
I guess we'll have to wait until we can book holidays on their respectitive websites to know...

Another issue... TG only flies to BKK, so that means FQ tourists on their way to HKT need a transfer at BKK. Which airline will execute the flight to HKT?

Sikiri

Post by Sikiri »

Conti764 wrote: Another issue... TG only flies to BKK, so that means FQ tourists on their way to HKT need a transfer at BKK. Which airline will execute the flight to HKT?
I would guess TG as well?

thalenoi

Post by thalenoi »

Whilst 766 and 2181 euro are decent prices for eco/business not so ex-BKK (I live in Thailand): checked their prices and I get 47.180THB resp. 132.655, converted at 44THB/euro gives 1072 and 3014.
I am not flying any company at +1k euro cattle class or +2500 business.

I flew EY business in May at +-2k and will fly EY to FRA in August at 570 cattle class (usually fly EY to BRU but priced at 883 I went for FRA promotion, business price around 3k now)

AND Thai having 5* at SKYTRAX, that must be a joke, besides the 3 fairly new B777/300ER leased form W9 and their old B747 they are refurbishing at last their products sucks. I fly them domestically from time to time and they are just plain ordinary.

They have a plan to refresh their metal, purchase/leasing 38 planes? approved by the board, It's high time.
Management got news they are loosing customers to airlines with cheaper/better planes.

Here in Thailand not many have a clue as to marketing, I can tell you a few.
Just had diner last night near Udon Thani railway station where they built a new walking/shopping/food area. Most shop buildings are ground floor, two buildings in the middle have 3 floors with large stairs and water fountains nearby, really nice, but Thais don't walk upstairs to have a look. I was alone up there, anyone renting a shop up there is doomed.

And Oh, their B777/200ER business class seats are 170D reclining, not fully flat beds.
I used to fly Qatar business out of CDG (160D reclining) and switched to EY, out of BRU and real flat beds, a treat, that's 5* business, not TG :D

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Thai is NOT a 5 star airline -they are 4 star 'only'-, yet they ARE 5th Best airline of the world this year according to Skytrax, nevertheless. You can check out the official link:
http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Award ... ne2011.htm

The difference between being a 5 star airline and being named 5th best airline in the world is that whereas the star rating is obtained based mainly on the premium products, the overall listing of the airline is based much more on their entire product range, thus also taking the economy product into consideration for much more than is done in the star rating.

What is very surprising and even unique here is that Thai has managed to take a place in this top 5 despite it not having a 5 star rating, thus beating some 5 star airlines even and Skytrax explicitly explains this by the fact they are scoring very high points with their economy long haul product, something which is of great importance for the discussion we had above where some people think a premium charter product can somehow be put on a par with an economy product of an airline that just managed the unthinkable almost...