Aviapartner might loose handling license at BRU to Swissport

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

airazurxtror

Re: Aviapartner lost handling license at BRU to Swissport

Post by airazurxtror »

I guess this won't be the only one today :

We are writing to inform you that due to Handling Agent strike at Brussels Airport your easyJet flight 4702 to SXF on 09/06/2011 has been cancelled. We understand that cancelling your flight will cause you inconvenience and we are very sorry when things don't run as scheduled.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Novastar wrote:The strikers should all get sacked without a job offer from Swissport :evil:
Let's first listen at what they have to say. Maybe they were not informed correctly as provided by the law. I don't want to judge here, but before making a decision, both parties should be allowed to defend themselves.

As for Aviapartner losing the contract, shouldn't they blame their management? Have they not been too arrogant, thinking "we've always been here, we know the airport better than anybody, nobody can replace us?". A good lesson of management, I'd say!

Anyway, Aviapartner will have some room to rebound aboraod, since it is no longer the exclusively Belgian company called Belgavia, but a truly multinational organisation.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Airlines that "may" be affected by today's strike (until 1800 hrs):

Aegean Airlines, Alitalia, Air Arabia Maroc, Air Baltic, Air France, Air Malta, Air Transat, Belle Air, Blue 1, British Airways, British Midland, Continental Airlines, CSA Czech Airlines, easyJet, El Al, Estonian Air, Ethiopian Airlines, Etihad Airways, Finnair, FlyBe, Icelandair, KLM, Malev, Nouvelair Tunesie, Onur Air, Pegasus, Qatar Airways, SAS, Sky Airlines, Syrian Arab Airlines, Tailwind, TAP Air Portugal, Tarom, Thomas Cook Airlines, Transavia, Turkish Airlines, United, VLM Airlines, Vueling

Passengers who have planned to travel with one of these airlines are advised to consult the online flight information and/or contact the airline.

Some of these flights have already been cancelled "preventively": CO from EWR, KL from AMS, EZS from SXF, MXP and GVA, OK from PRG, BT from RIX, MA from BUD, BA from LHR, AF from LYS, LY from TLV, SK from OSL, A3 from ATH. And the respective return flights also, of course!

All profit for SN?

Thomas Cook will operate several flights out of Liège.

Edit: Aer Lingus removed from the list of airlines handled by Aviapartner
Last edited by sn26567 on 09 Jun 2011, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Aer Lingus removed from the list of airlines handled by Aviapartner
André
ex Sabena #26567

telspace2005

Post by telspace2005 »

Well, better to avoid BRU until the end of the year, as it will take some times to settle the dispute. Until then strikes can start any times, any day, without notice.

Public transport, taxis, firemen, ATC, SN, Handling Companies... this airport is totally screwed and as a simple passager, I have lost confidence at BRU.

Hopefully Belgium is a small country, and we have better options closely.

JAFflyer

Post by JAFflyer »

So sad, striking should be kept as the "last resort", when no other means of negotiating is possible. (and even then...) Here, it is used as "first resort". I hope the strikers' names are written down somewhere, because this is absolutely irresponsible, selfish behaviour!

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Totally agree, the unions once again prove to the general public that they are useless and use mafia practices. They will drive a company into the ground for so called "employee protection". Yeah, and we all saw how hard the helped the SABENA employees :?

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

As always, a few fools are enough to paralize a lot of working people. The bad guys always win since we have no balls to handle those cases.

earthman

Post by earthman »

They should all get whipped by their slave driver.

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

Forgive my uneducated passenger point of view, but will striking actually change the decision? I would imagine that the employees of Aviapartner will want to join Swissport right, it doesn't exactly encourage Swissport to take on these people.

Ems

MD-11forever

Post by MD-11forever »

The unions reached an agreement with Flightcare and Swissport. Guarantees about wage and working conditions were provided. Work will resume at 18h.

http://www.standaard.be/artikel/detail. ... 110609_017

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

I don't know if there is a shift change at 18h, but why the hell would they continue with the strike for another 2h when there is an agreement?
Tot hier en verder

Stij

Post by Stij »

Zorba wrote:I don't know if there is a shift change at 18h, but why the hell would they continue with the strike for another 2h when there is an agreement?
Because they can and the weather is nice!That's why!

Cheers,

Stij

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Sabena320 wrote:That's a pitty. In terms of service towards airlines and costumers, Flightcare should have had their license revoked and given to another handler. I have no experience with Aviapartner, so I cannot say anything about the company.
Airlines were pretty happy with Aviapartner service. The company was also renewing its equipment and recently started to deploy real airport busses i.s.o. the second hand public busses they and Flightcare use.

I wouldn't be surprised to see FC eventually being replaced by something of SN/LH which will then service all Star Alliance airlines.

earthman

Post by earthman »

Stij wrote:
Zorba wrote:I don't know if there is a shift change at 18h, but why the hell would they continue with the strike for another 2h when there is an agreement?
Because they can and the weather is nice!That's why!
And because someone ordered a tuckload of Belgian beer which needs to be 'handled' first?

LJ

Post by LJ »

MR_Boeing wrote: A tirth handler will only be allowed if BRU handles 24 million pax and 650 000 tons of freight for two consecutive years, that's not the case so one of the two handles was supposed to lose its license.
Why does BRU such a stupid rule? Usually an airport the size of BRU would be able to have three handlers, one of which is the handler of the home carrier. It doesn't really increase competition amongst the handlers, and doesn't give the airlines much choice of handler.

BTW very slow news day today in The Netherlands. The Aviapartner strike even made it to the Dutch news...

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

I am surely no supporter of strikes, but when you brutally announce to 1200 persons that up to half of them are about to lose their job, you are bound to get a brutal reaction.
It must be recognized that the agreement that has been reached today after a few hours of negociation could have been concluded before, and the strike avoided.
And if that firing of people was so easily avoidable, it was stupid not to say it at once.
The Swissport HR manager is obviously not very bright !

cnc

Post by cnc »

airazurxtror wrote: And if that firing of people was so easily avoidable, it was stupid not to say it at once.
The Swissport HR manager is obviously not very bright !
you don't really believe that do you?
How could swissport say they'll take over all empoyees when they have no contracts with airlines for ramp handling yet?

earthman

Post by earthman »

At WAW, when LOT Ground Services went bust, SkyTeam switched over to WAS. The successor, LOT Services, therefore lost some clients in the process. Could Flightcare pick up some new clients now?

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

earthman wrote:At WAW, when LOT Ground Services went bust, SkyTeam switched over to WAS. The successor, LOT Services, therefore lost some clients in the process. Could Flightcare pick up some new clients now?
As all Ap clients will have to re-negotiate the handling contracts, yes they can choose for Flightcare or Swissport. That is unless Swissport would take-over Ap Brussels as a whole in which case the handling contracts will move as they are wright now.

Stij

Post by Stij »

earthman wrote:And because someone ordered a tuckload of Belgian beer which needs to be 'handled' first?
Maybe one of them won that "complete barbecue" some sauce company promises us on the radio in Belgium. ;-)

Serious, this is so typical for the Belgian trade unions: shoot first and ask questions later. It's a sign of weakness. Like Thatcher said: "Being powerful is like being a lady: if you have to say you are, you aren't".

Cheers,

Stij

P.S. Nothing against trade unions: the rights of the employees need and have to be defended! But a little bit more creativity could do miracles! First miracle: it improves the image of the unions dramatically!!! Be honest: what do you think about the unions at NMBS/SNCB? And why is that?