Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply
Aerofool
Posts: 58
Joined: 25 Jul 2017, 17:46

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Aerofool »

AIRMARSHAL wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 17:26 can we , as a normal visitor or passenger, get a glimpse of this skyhall. like many of us , this hall brings me back to my childhood in the '70s

It should be possible, in the part of the terminal with the check-in counters 11, 12 and 14. It is next to the Skyhall and there are windows between them. But it will depend if the blinds are open or not...

Boavida
Posts: 497
Joined: 14 Sep 2010, 23:54

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Boavida »

Aerofool wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 19:04
AIRMARSHAL wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 17:26 can we , as a normal visitor or passenger, get a glimpse of this skyhall. like many of us , this hall brings me back to my childhood in the '70s

It should be possible, in the part of the terminal with the check-in counters 11, 12 and 14. It is next to the Skyhall and there are windows between them. But it will depend if the blinds are open or not...
I was there today and there were no blinds at all. It's a huge glass wall with a splendid view of the entire skyhall! Let's hope it will be used for pax as soon as possible!

User avatar
lumumba
Posts: 1800
Joined: 04 Sep 2003, 00:00
Location: brussels Europe

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by lumumba »

Yesterday I had a look to the new Sky Hall true the window wall a lot of emotions came back.
But is it impossible to open it when there are no evenents like before it's a beautiful point of view?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Stij
Posts: 2240
Joined: 07 Mar 2005, 00:00
Location: Belgium

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Stij »

Or a special Aviation24 visit? ;-) ;-)

User avatar
lumumba
Posts: 1800
Joined: 04 Sep 2003, 00:00
Location: brussels Europe

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by lumumba »

Stij wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 14:04 Or a special Aviation24 visit? ;-) ;-)
That would be great nevertheless a big beautiful space like that just in front of the check in area could be used daily.
But anyway if there is something special happening let me know 😉
Hasta la victoria siempre.

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 11507
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by luchtzak »

Much to the frustration of our forum visitors too :-D

Automated e-gates at Brussels Airport to be replaced after years of passenger and police frustration.

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brus ... ustration/

JOVAN
Posts: 484
Joined: 08 Jun 2006, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by JOVAN »

e-Gates story , work-to-the-rules actions by Federal Police, upcoming sabotage-strikes by Skeyes-ATC's, and what next ?? Fire-men, bagage-people,...

The Federal Police is unhappy because they have not hand-gel for disinfection, have to sit on wooden chairs (8 hours a day..), not enough means, not enough personnel (140 positions not filled in ), no central place in the airport to sit together, …
Therefore they block road to Airport and annoy thousands of PAX.
flights will be missed, delayed,..
They actually sabotage the proper working of the Airport which is of Top Impotance for Belgium's Economy.

Economical Sabotage should be punished severely. (Jail sentences, pay back damages, ..)
Economical sabotage by Police ; punishment multiplied by Two.

If BRU would care for their PAX, instead of only for their share-holders and their own bonuses, they could perhaps start by buying some real office chairs, some gel, ..

Share-holders would probably not even notice.
Police men would be less unhappy..

This airport is run poorly.
This airport will remain small, mediocre with only happy share-holders filling their pockets.

User avatar
Atlantis
Posts: 4483
Joined: 12 Apr 2005, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Atlantis »

JOVAN wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:54 e-Gates story , work-to-the-rules actions by Federal Police, upcoming sabotage-strikes by Skeyes-ATC's, and what next ?? Fire-men, bagage-people,...

The Federal Police is unhappy because they have not hand-gel for disinfection, have to sit on wooden chairs (8 hours a day..), not enough means, not enough personnel (140 positions not filled in ), no central place in the airport to sit together, …
Therefore they block road to Airport and annoy thousands of PAX.
flights will be missed, delayed,..
They actually sabotage the proper working of the Airport which is of Top Impotance for Belgium's Economy.

Economical Sabotage should be punished severely. (Jail sentences, pay back damages, ..)
Economical sabotage by Police ; punishment multiplied by Two.

If BRU would care for their PAX, instead of only for their share-holders and their own bonuses, they could perhaps start by buying some real office chairs, some gel, ..

Share-holders would probably not even notice.
Police men would be less unhappy..

This airport is run poorly.
This airport will remain small, mediocre with only happy share-holders filling their pockets.
Dear JOVAN,

To make it clear. The Federal Police at the airport falls under internal affairs of the federal government.
Everything what they request falls under the federal budget.

So in this, again, the airport cannot do anything.

But, again, the airport is vragende partij for solutions.
Vehiculs or guns or whatever is also not bought by the airport for the police there.

So, you have to place everything in the right context.

Do you really think that the airport is happy with it? Do you think that they are happy with it that Skeyes will strike again? All organisations under the embrella of the government. Does it starts to ring a bell.
Forgot already that we went to court regarding multiple strikes of Skeyes last year?

Everybody thinks that all organisations at the airport are under the responsibility of the airport. We'll, I can tell you unfortunately not

JOVAN
Posts: 484
Joined: 08 Jun 2006, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by JOVAN »

Atlantis wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 14:49
JOVAN wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:54 e-Gates story , work-to-the-rules actions by Federal Police, upcoming sabotage-strikes by Skeyes-ATC's, and what next ?? Fire-men, bagage-people,...

The Federal Police is unhappy because they have not hand-gel for disinfection, have to sit on wooden chairs (8 hours a day..), not enough means, not enough personnel (140 positions not filled in ), no central place in the airport to sit together, …
Therefore they block road to Airport and annoy thousands of PAX.
flights will be missed, delayed,..
They actually sabotage the proper working of the Airport which is of Top Impotance for Belgium's Economy.

Economical Sabotage should be punished severely. (Jail sentences, pay back damages, ..)
Economical sabotage by Police ; punishment multiplied by Two.

If BRU would care for their PAX, instead of only for their share-holders and their own bonuses, they could perhaps start by buying some real office chairs, some gel, ..

Share-holders would probably not even notice.
Police men would be less unhappy..

This airport is run poorly.
This airport will remain small, mediocre with only happy share-holders filling their pockets.
Dear JOVAN,

To make it clear. The Federal Police at the airport falls under internal affairs of the federal government.
Everything what they request falls under the federal budget.

So in this, again, the airport cannot do anything.

But, again, the airport is vragende partij for solutions.
Vehiculs or guns or whatever is also not bought by the airport for the police there.

So, you have to place everything in the right context.

Do you really think that the airport is happy with it? Do you think that they are happy with it that Skeyes will strike again? All organisations under the embrella of the government. Does it starts to ring a bell.
Forgot already that we went to court regarding multiple strikes of Skeyes last year?

Everybody thinks that all organisations at the airport are under the responsibility of the airport. We'll, I can tell you unfortunately not
BRU is the Director/Manager and runs the show.
They have the duty to make the whole airport-system work.

With good management & diplomacy, competence and commitment, conflicts and many problems can be anticipated things can be anticipated and prevented.

If indeed there is a shortage of 140 police-people , then also BRU carries an ENORMOUS RESPONSIBITY.

Easy to hide under your umbrella or put your head in the sand.
Do you think for instance that terror actions will not/ cannot happen again at BRU ?

Take your responsibility, BRU management.

User avatar
Atlantis
Posts: 4483
Joined: 12 Apr 2005, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Atlantis »

JOVAN wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 15:06
Atlantis wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 14:49
JOVAN wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:54 e-Gates story , work-to-the-rules actions by Federal Police, upcoming sabotage-strikes by Skeyes-ATC's, and what next ?? Fire-men, bagage-people,...

The Federal Police is unhappy because they have not hand-gel for disinfection, have to sit on wooden chairs (8 hours a day..), not enough means, not enough personnel (140 positions not filled in ), no central place in the airport to sit together, …
Therefore they block road to Airport and annoy thousands of PAX.
flights will be missed, delayed,..
They actually sabotage the proper working of the Airport which is of Top Impotance for Belgium's Economy.

Economical Sabotage should be punished severely. (Jail sentences, pay back damages, ..)
Economical sabotage by Police ; punishment multiplied by Two.

If BRU would care for their PAX, instead of only for their share-holders and their own bonuses, they could perhaps start by buying some real office chairs, some gel, ..

Share-holders would probably not even notice.
Police men would be less unhappy..

This airport is run poorly.
This airport will remain small, mediocre with only happy share-holders filling their pockets.
Dear JOVAN,

To make it clear. The Federal Police at the airport falls under internal affairs of the federal government.
Everything what they request falls under the federal budget.

So in this, again, the airport cannot do anything.

But, again, the airport is vragende partij for solutions.
Vehiculs or guns or whatever is also not bought by the airport for the police there.

So, you have to place everything in the right context.

Do you really think that the airport is happy with it? Do you think that they are happy with it that Skeyes will strike again? All organisations under the embrella of the government. Does it starts to ring a bell.
Forgot already that we went to court regarding multiple strikes of Skeyes last year?

Everybody thinks that all organisations at the airport are under the responsibility of the airport. We'll, I can tell you unfortunately not
BRU is the Director/Manager and runs the show.
They have the duty to make the whole airport-system work.

With good management & diplomacy, competence and commitment, conflicts and many problems can be anticipated things can be anticipated and prevented.

If indeed there is a shortage of 140 police-people , then also BRU carries an ENORMOUS RESPONSIBITY.

Easy to hide under your umbrella or put your head in the sand.
Do you think for instance that terror actions will not/ cannot happen again at BRU ?

Take your responsibility, BRU management.
Sorry but in this you are totally wrong, but you still don't get it. Bcs according to you if there is not enough police, if the police school is not attracting enough recruits, if the people of Skeyes are constantly sick, then it is the responsibility of BRU??!! If there is a strike at DHL or TNT/Fedex at BruCargo then it is the responsibility of BRU??!! Well, well, then BRU will be the biggest headhunter in Belgium :)
That the trambus is still not running, this is also the responsibility of BRU? That the tram from NATO is still not running till BRU, this is also the responsibility of BRU??!! Well, well, amazing

It is still the responsibility of the managers or the third party companies to organize their duties. It is the responsibility of the federal government to let the police work and to provide them what they need.
Also the E-gates are federal budget.

BRU is involved but they cannot take the actions instead of those companies. This is third party related.
BRU regrets those actions but is taking all responsibilities in everything what is directly under out of BRU.

Maybe it would be very good for many of you to come and understand how to run an airport, what are the direct responsibilities, which ones are not direct responsibilities, how the negotiations are done and with whom. If you all would know this, you would not write anything like you are writing now.

JOVAN
Posts: 484
Joined: 08 Jun 2006, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by JOVAN »

737MAX wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 16:52 Oh boy...we have a winner.
And it not the PAX …...

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 37433
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by sn26567 »

I just noticed that, after Dutch, French and English, the Brussels Airport website has now also a version in ... Chinese:

https://www.brusselsairport.be/zh/passengers

I am puzzled. Belgium has three national languages, and one of them ist still not yet represented on the BRU website. Why wasn't German chosen first if a 4th language had to be selected? Are there really more Chinese-speaking passengers than German-speaking ones at Brussels Airport?
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers
Posts: 3085
Joined: 24 Jun 2006, 08:34
Location: Vl.Brabant
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Ha, there you are touching on a pet peeve of mine! Actually, several, even.

* from a legal point of view, I see no issue; and if there were, legal action would have been underway long since. The airport operating company being a private venture, they have every right to publish whatever they want in whichever language they prefer. (That makes a stark contrast to the Belgian railways, who respect the linguistical subtleties of this complicated country to great detail; much complicating some of their operations. For one example, in a train from Flanders to Brussels, the automatic announcements in synthesised speech will be in Dutch only, as long as it is on Flemish soil; the moment it enters bilingual territory, announcements switch to bilingual too. Same goes for the text announcements on the big LCD displays, where present).

* from the airport's commercial point of view, Chinese passengers deserve more linguistical care than German speakers, from whatever country: the latter are almost sure to understand the English information anyway; I am less certain about the Chinese, though I would expect those who can afford to travel to Europe to be upper-class, so reasonably well-educated; and, like as not, quite well prepared for cultural differences - much more than the stereotypical US'an visitor, for example.

* A scholar of languages, and of linguistical culture, I always regret the lack of cultural self-respect in the Germanic cultures. Scandinavians, for example, will often switch to English without even trying to open conversation in their own language - a shame! French speakers in Belgium have a bit too much of it, at times, even inventing neologist French-sounding names like "Craynhem"; the Dutch speakers learned to stand their ground over the last few decades, but Belgian Germanophones are very very docile - in my experience, most of them are perfectly quadrilingual, witness my several flights to EBBN (hehe, that's another one to look up! :) ) and they'll rarely insist on using their own language. But this gets us far from aviation, of course.

All in all, I see nothing surprising, even less anything illegal.
Last edited by jan_olieslagers on 21 Feb 2020, 19:15, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 37433
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by sn26567 »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 18:58 Belgian Germanophones are very very docile - in my experience, most of them are perfectly quadrilingual, witness my several flights to EBBN (hehe, that's another one to look up! :) ) and they'll rarely insist on using their own language.
Mind you: through my military service in the artillery, I was a frequent visitor to Elsenborn and its close-by airfield in EBBN!
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers
Posts: 3085
Joined: 24 Jun 2006, 08:34
Location: Vl.Brabant
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by jan_olieslagers »

[[ getting even more off-topic ]]

Aren't you confusing with EBLB Elsenborn/Butgenbach? I much wonder about the status of that neat little asphalt runway, I last heard it was used for UAV trials but that is many years ago.

EBLB: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/50.4848/6.1831
EBBN: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/50.41459/6.27689

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1779
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Conti764 »

Atlantis wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 16:49
JOVAN wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 15:06
Atlantis wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 14:49

Dear JOVAN,

To make it clear. The Federal Police at the airport falls under internal affairs of the federal government.
Everything what they request falls under the federal budget.

So in this, again, the airport cannot do anything.

But, again, the airport is vragende partij for solutions.
Vehiculs or guns or whatever is also not bought by the airport for the police there.

So, you have to place everything in the right context.

Do you really think that the airport is happy with it? Do you think that they are happy with it that Skeyes will strike again? All organisations under the embrella of the government. Does it starts to ring a bell.
Forgot already that we went to court regarding multiple strikes of Skeyes last year?

Everybody thinks that all organisations at the airport are under the responsibility of the airport. We'll, I can tell you unfortunately not
BRU is the Director/Manager and runs the show.
They have the duty to make the whole airport-system work.

With good management & diplomacy, competence and commitment, conflicts and many problems can be anticipated things can be anticipated and prevented.

If indeed there is a shortage of 140 police-people , then also BRU carries an ENORMOUS RESPONSIBITY.

Easy to hide under your umbrella or put your head in the sand.
Do you think for instance that terror actions will not/ cannot happen again at BRU ?

Take your responsibility, BRU management.
Sorry but in this you are totally wrong, but you still don't get it. Bcs according to you if there is not enough police, if the police school is not attracting enough recruits, if the people of Skeyes are constantly sick, then it is the responsibility of BRU??!! If there is a strike at DHL or TNT/Fedex at BruCargo then it is the responsibility of BRU??!! Well, well, then BRU will be the biggest headhunter in Belgium :)
That the trambus is still not running, this is also the responsibility of BRU? That the tram from NATO is still not running till BRU, this is also the responsibility of BRU??!! Well, well, amazing

It is still the responsibility of the managers or the third party companies to organize their duties. It is the responsibility of the federal government to let the police work and to provide them what they need.
Also the E-gates are federal budget.

BRU is involved but they cannot take the actions instead of those companies. This is third party related.
BRU regrets those actions but is taking all responsibilities in everything what is directly under out of BRU.

Maybe it would be very good for many of you to come and understand how to run an airport, what are the direct responsibilities, which ones are not direct responsibilities, how the negotiations are done and with whom. If you all would know this, you would not write anything like you are writing now.
Indeed, staff shortage is a federal issue and a widespread one in the federal police due to years of structural lack of funding.

The infrastructure however is BAC... Tables, (office)chairs,... are all supplied by BAC, policerelated equipment (cars, IT, guns,...) by the federal police. And it's a fact that the federal police isn't very high on BAC's priority list regarding infrastructure. The building that holds the patrolling and intervention police was built in 2009 as a temporary solution due to the plans with the old terminal where they were previously located. It still stands and is not on par with the infrastructure of local police.

So the main issue - staff shortage - is not BAC's responsability. Unfortunately private entities cannot partially fund police activities. Otherwise BAC could work out an arrangement with the state interior to have an aviation police allowance to attract new officers like the EU has done in Brussels, but that's a government instance.

JOVAN
Posts: 484
Joined: 08 Jun 2006, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by JOVAN »


Indeed, staff shortage is a federal issue and a widespread one in the federal police due to years of structural lack of funding.

The infrastructure however is BAC... Tables, (office)chairs,... are all supplied by BAC, policerelated equipment (cars, IT, guns,...) by the federal police. And it's a fact that the federal police isn't very high on BAC's priority list regarding infrastructure. The building that holds the patrolling and intervention police was built in 2009 as a temporary solution due to the plans with the old terminal where they were previously located. It still stands and is not on par with the infrastructure of local police.

So the main issue - staff shortage - is not BAC's responsability. Unfortunately private entities cannot partially fund police activities. Otherwise BAC could work out an arrangement with the state interior to have an aviation police allowance to attract new officers like the EU has done in Brussels, but that's a government instance.
Now let's hope that this police-actions (or mutiny if you want) lead to some improvements.

BRU already offered/gave some office chairs I read.

Now a decent building.
The managers of the Police dept. as well as the managers of BRU involved in this organizatonal issues must be very low level, if such issues cannot be solved smoothly.
Last edited by sn26567 on 23 Feb 2020, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected BBCode

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1779
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Conti764 »

Further actions are averted, at least until after the summer vacation.

The responsible minister De Crem and the unions have reached an agreement about hiring 600 extra police officers, of which 400 will go the federal police. The aviation police at BRU will get an immediate 55 extra staff and in the near future 100.

https://www.hln.be/nieuws/binnenland/st ... ~ab4cd760/

JOVAN
Posts: 484
Joined: 08 Jun 2006, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by JOVAN »

737MAX wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 09:59
luchtzak wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 09:25 Much to the frustration of our forum visitors too :-D

Automated e-gates at Brussels Airport to be replaced after years of passenger and police frustration.

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brus ... ustration/
Let’s wait and see... knowing Belgium, the new ones will cost twice the price and will work even less :lol:
Image
Attachments
The Man of 2,5mio
The Man of 2,5mio

FkBE
Posts: 7
Joined: 07 Nov 2019, 11:14

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by FkBE »

FkBE wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 20:04 Brussels Airport has released what is in my mind the single biggest mistake ever...
https://btag.brusselsairport.be/en
-it tries to generate additional revenue due to baggage handling taking a very long time. In other words, there will be no incentive in the future to speed up baggage handling! It's openly admitting there's room for improvement in handling times yet they solve it with completely the wrong approach
-only works at BRU airport
-relax and drink a coffee whilst waiting for your bag? Where? Still in Terminal A, to then walk 10 minutes after you got the message your bag is there? As the pick up area does not have any shops or bars, where would you "relax and wait" coming from eg non-Schengen?

The person who pitched this should get a lesson in Customer Experience
Brussels Airport is now running Facebook ads to promote bTag, however the comments are critical:
Daniele Dotto Great idea! It takes always so much time to recuperate your luggage at Brussels’ airport ... why not investing money in making the delivery faster rather than in useless apps?
Remy Drijkoningen Why not just use the barcode that is already on the luggage when you check it in and that is used for routing to destination? It's already linked to passenger and already unique as it's your proof that you registered a luggage and that its yours, plus it could work out of the box and in every airport.
So you manage to sell something that already exists and will only work in one airport? Seriously? Nobody in the company suggested using the already existing luggage tags and extend the service to all luggage?

Post Reply