BRU infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Flying Scout

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by Flying Scout » 04 Apr 2018, 10:20

Before the attacks, there was a motorbike parking where parking was free of charge. I can't find any information of such a parking since. Anybody an idea if it still excists?

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam » 18 Apr 2018, 10:53

Finally the Emirates A380 arrives tomorrow at BRU?

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel » 18 Apr 2018, 11:43

Flying Scout wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 10:20
Before the attacks, there was a motorbike parking where parking was free of charge. I can't find any information of such a parking since. Anybody an idea if it still excists?
I see that parking area all the time when I take bus 12/21 to get to the city. It is next to the bus station on the arrivals level. There are many bikes and scooters parked there. As far as I observed, the way to there is the same as for the airport bus - except that you don't have to pass through the turnpike but take the bike path between the obstacles. It should be free of charge as there is nothing blocking the entrance area.
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, working in Brussels)

Flying Scout

Post by Flying Scout » 18 Apr 2018, 13:21

OK! Thanks for the info. This time I took the train, next time it'll be the bike again. :)

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone » 18 Apr 2018, 19:49

Quing times +1hour 30minutes this eve at Brussels airport. Only 4 screening points open.
Lot of people missing their flights.
Speakers keep repeating: Due to exceptional reasons queus at security may be longer than usual. Anybody got any idea what that reason is?
Attachments
PSX_20180418_194852.jpg
PSX_20180418_194753.jpg

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone » 18 Apr 2018, 20:58

Asked the security agent. They say they are already working 2 hours over their normal shift. They say the airport didnt plan /order enough staff from the security company.

Ansett

Post by Ansett » 19 Apr 2018, 05:26

Could be true. I am increasingly convinced the airport is run for its shareholders, not for its clients (airlines and passengers).

sean1982

Post by sean1982 » 19 Apr 2018, 07:38

Yes, I had the “pleasure” of queuing up myself for 1u15 yesterday at security, when nearly every other part of the airport was dead quite. Banana republic :roll:

airbuske

Post by airbuske » 19 Apr 2018, 08:53

Ansett wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 05:26
Could be true. I am increasingly convinced the airport is run for its shareholders, not for its clients (airlines and passengers).
I totally agree. They have built the A380 bridge before making sure that all others basics are ok :!:

Bridges are broken , not enough staff at the connector or transfer platform, not enough police at the border control, airco not working , not enough busses or drivers for bus(de)boardings, IT problems,...

Welcome at Brushasa :roll:
Best regards,

Airbuske

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel » 19 Apr 2018, 11:08

Shengenzone wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 20:58
Asked the security agent. They say they are already working 2 hours over their normal shift. They say the airport didnt plan /order enough staff from the security company.
Happened in DUS not so long ago: the security company did not care for their workers. And as the task was outsourced by the airport, they had not much of a say in how much staff was assigned to the security checks by that company.
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, working in Brussels)

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus » 19 Apr 2018, 14:11

Vic Diesel wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 11:08
Shengenzone wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 20:58
Happened in DUS not so long ago: the security company did not care for their workers. And as the task was outsourced by the airport, they had not much of a say in how much staff was assigned to the security checks by that company.
This must be part of the SLA, Service Level Agreement, the "Bible" of such contractual service between the airport and the service provider (who won the contract over competition) :
"Thou shalt provide the necessary means to enable the service to be performed in such a way that the maximum waiting time at each/the average/xx screening line does not exceed xx minutes for longer than yy minutes until corrective actions take place and its effect be implemented within zz minutes of the initial deviation occured..."

Raise your voice to make the "small print" grow larger and the SLA be strictly applied/amended to become acceptable.
Next steps :
1) Me want more money to do that.
2) BRU is expensive.
3) .....

Maybe a way to express one's dissatisfaction would be similar to the common practice in the USA : banners alongside the road "Honk if you want Senator X to leave office".
May I suggest "Fart if you don't like waiting".
:mrgreen:

H.A.

convair

Post by convair » 19 Apr 2018, 16:39

Ansett wrote:
I fully agree with you, although I'm positively surprised by the construction of the spotters platforms.

But their handling of the pax is far from just acceptable!

Btw, I would like to see here a survey on the appropriateness of keeping duty free shops for departing pax. When you think of it, it's a non-sense to carry hundreds of kgs (specially bottles of alcohol) aboard aircraft when you can find almost anything anywhere nowadays. And many airports have duty free shops for arriving pax today! Not mentioning the time lost in meandering through bigger and bigger shops when you are in a hurry to get to your plane. You are usually more relax and have more time to spend after landing.

Jetter

Post by Jetter » 19 Apr 2018, 22:52

convair wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 16:39
Btw, I would like to see here a survey on the appropriateness of keeping duty free shops for departing pax.
Duty free shops are fine, but you shouldn't be forced to walk through a shop when going from A to B.

So this is definitely uneccaptable:

I like the way they've done it at AMS, shops everywhere but not hindering passangers.

Ansett

Post by Ansett » 20 Apr 2018, 06:04

My way of protesting against being forced to walk through the so-called duty free shops at BRU or elsewhere (because it has become a general trend), is not to buy anything at the airport. As mentioned appropriatly by Convair, why would one still bother to carry sometimes heavy and/or bulky items to one's final destinations.
In most cases the savings remain minimal compared to the hassle you will be going through carrying these items, trying to get them in the luggage bins of the aircraft etc.. And indeed some airports allow you to buy upon arrival.

Surpisingly, AMS does not allow you to buy anything upon arrival. Not so long ago I wanted to buy a bottle of water when I was arriving in AMS (final destinations) and I was told that without a boarding pass for a flight leaving AMS, nothing could be sold to a pax !!! And nothing could be sold to a pax leaving on a plane from AMS if the pax refused to have its boarding pass screened.

At least in BRU, if you don't want your data stocked by a store (or who knows who else) showing that you bought a communist newspaper, you can still say you are an "arriving passenger".
Jetter wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 22:52

So this is definitely uneccaptable:

I like the way they've done it at AMS, shops everywhere but not hindering passangers.
I like your picture "La Vie est Belle" at BRU (LOL).

But no offence meant, I strongly disagree with you when you say that "at AMS there are shops everywhere but not hindering passengers".

In the main departure hall where departing, arriving and connecting pax often have to cross each other, shops have been allowed to put up stalls outside their shops, hindering the flow of pax at an already overcrowded airport. I'm astonished you have not witnessed the slalom of pax in the main hall.

Actually, at BRU, I would gladly use again the once so much hated tunnel from check-in to Terminal A.

Stij

Post by Stij » 20 Apr 2018, 08:52

Brussels Airport is a real estate company
They invest in buildings that create money
Buildings that create money are in demand
There's a demand for shops because the shops make money
The shops make money because the passengers buy a lot.

And apparently they maken more money when you force the passengers to walk by the promotions.

As much as I hate it, specially during the holidays when Joe Sixpack travels and stops right in front of you in the middle of the corridor because the JB Whiskey is on fake promotion, I shop quit a lot at airports, but for clothes as this is rare of combination of me having spare time and the shops that are open.

Cheers,

Stij

P.S. Massimo Dutti is really nice: order on line, have it delivered at the airport, try it on and buy what you like and fits.
See where I've flown at OpenFlights!

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy » 20 Apr 2018, 09:58

Again long security queues at BRU this morning.
Also long passport queues for departing non-Schengen passengers.

Linty

Post by Linty » 20 Apr 2018, 10:17

I see a lot of enthusiast reactions about the fact Brussels Airport is ready to welcome the A380. But I'm asking myself why this had to take almost 10years to be ready? The timeframe the A380 is in the air.

737MAX

Post by 737MAX » 20 Apr 2018, 10:57

airbuske wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 08:53
Ansett wrote:
I totally agree. They have built the A380 bridge before making sure that all others basics are ok :!:

Bridges are broken , not enough staff at the connector or transfer platform, not enough police at the border control, airco not working , not enough busses or drivers for bus(de)boardings, IT problems,...

Welcome at Brushasa :roll:
Don’t forget to mention the automatic passport control gates! You already realize from that point what for a country Belgium is...

Unfriendly police officers, annoyed by their « job » (if we can call standing there doing nothing a job...), not helping anybody, acting rude towards passengers who cannot use these gates properly... sad mentality.