Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

jake99

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by jake99 »

The B2 (Ex DHL,current swissport)has/will be gone by the end of 2019

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

^^ Glad to hear that! That building is the biggest eyesore of the entire airport !

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Finally the Emirates A380 arrives tomorrow at BRU?

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

Flying Scout wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 10:20 Before the attacks, there was a motorbike parking where parking was free of charge. I can't find any information of such a parking since. Anybody an idea if it still excists?
I see that parking area all the time when I take bus 12/21 to get to the city. It is next to the bus station on the arrivals level. There are many bikes and scooters parked there. As far as I observed, the way to there is the same as for the airport bus - except that you don't have to pass through the turnpike but take the bike path between the obstacles. It should be free of charge as there is nothing blocking the entrance area.
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

Quing times +1hour 30minutes this eve at Brussels airport. Only 4 screening points open.
Lot of people missing their flights.
Speakers keep repeating: Due to exceptional reasons queus at security may be longer than usual. Anybody got any idea what that reason is?
Attachments
PSX_20180418_194852.jpg
PSX_20180418_194753.jpg

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

Asked the security agent. They say they are already working 2 hours over their normal shift. They say the airport didnt plan /order enough staff from the security company.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Yes, I had the “pleasure” of queuing up myself for 1u15 yesterday at security, when nearly every other part of the airport was dead quite. Banana republic :roll:

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

Ansett wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 05:26 Could be true. I am increasingly convinced the airport is run for its shareholders, not for its clients (airlines and passengers).
I totally agree. They have built the A380 bridge before making sure that all others basics are ok :!:

Bridges are broken , not enough staff at the connector or transfer platform, not enough police at the border control, airco not working , not enough busses or drivers for bus(de)boardings, IT problems,...

Welcome at Brushasa :roll:
Best regards,

Airbuske

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

Shengenzone wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 20:58 Asked the security agent. They say they are already working 2 hours over their normal shift. They say the airport didnt plan /order enough staff from the security company.
Happened in DUS not so long ago: the security company did not care for their workers. And as the task was outsourced by the airport, they had not much of a say in how much staff was assigned to the security checks by that company.
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Vic Diesel wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 11:08
Shengenzone wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 20:58 Asked the security agent. They say they are already working 2 hours over their normal shift. They say the airport didnt plan /order enough staff from the security company.
Happened in DUS not so long ago: the security company did not care for their workers. And as the task was outsourced by the airport, they had not much of a say in how much staff was assigned to the security checks by that company.
This must be part of the SLA, Service Level Agreement, the "Bible" of such contractual service between the airport and the service provider (who won the contract over competition) :
"Thou shalt provide the necessary means to enable the service to be performed in such a way that the maximum waiting time at each/the average/xx screening line does not exceed xx minutes for longer than yy minutes until corrective actions take place and its effect be implemented within zz minutes of the initial deviation occured..."

Raise your voice to make the "small print" grow larger and the SLA be strictly applied/amended to become acceptable.
Next steps :
1) Me want more money to do that.
2) BRU is expensive.
3) .....

Maybe a way to express one's dissatisfaction would be similar to the common practice in the USA : banners alongside the road "Honk if you want Senator X to leave office".
May I suggest "Fart if you don't like waiting".
:mrgreen:

H.A.

convair

Post by convair »

Ansett wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 05:26 Could be true. I am increasingly convinced the airport is run for its shareholders, not for its clients (airlines and passengers).
I fully agree with you, although I'm positively surprised by the construction of the spotters platforms.

But their handling of the pax is far from just acceptable!

Btw, I would like to see here a survey on the appropriateness of keeping duty free shops for departing pax. When you think of it, it's a non-sense to carry hundreds of kgs (specially bottles of alcohol) aboard aircraft when you can find almost anything anywhere nowadays. And many airports have duty free shops for arriving pax today! Not mentioning the time lost in meandering through bigger and bigger shops when you are in a hurry to get to your plane. You are usually more relax and have more time to spend after landing.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

convair wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 16:39Btw, I would like to see here a survey on the appropriateness of keeping duty free shops for departing pax.
Duty free shops are fine, but you shouldn't be forced to walk through a shop when going from A to B.

So this is definitely uneccaptable:

I like the way they've done it at AMS, shops everywhere but not hindering passangers.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Brussels Airport is a real estate company
They invest in buildings that create money
Buildings that create money are in demand
There's a demand for shops because the shops make money
The shops make money because the passengers buy a lot.

And apparently they maken more money when you force the passengers to walk by the promotions.

As much as I hate it, specially during the holidays when Joe Sixpack travels and stops right in front of you in the middle of the corridor because the JB Whiskey is on fake promotion, I shop quit a lot at airports, but for clothes as this is rare of combination of me having spare time and the shops that are open.

Cheers,

Stij

P.S. Massimo Dutti is really nice: order on line, have it delivered at the airport, try it on and buy what you like and fits.

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

Again long security queues at BRU this morning.
Also long passport queues for departing non-Schengen passengers.

Linty

Post by Linty »

I see a lot of enthusiast reactions about the fact Brussels Airport is ready to welcome the A380. But I'm asking myself why this had to take almost 10years to be ready? The timeframe the A380 is in the air.

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Brussels Airport basically has been "A380 ready" for a long time. It was suitable as a diversion aerodrome, but not for regular operations, due to the lack of a proper A380 contact stand. If an A380 was to divert before, finding a stand for it might have been problematic, but BRU, in cooperation with Lufthansa, proved some years ago that it was doable, with some creative thinking in terms of gate assignment.
Why was BRU not ready for commercial A380 ops until recently? Easy, no carrier was interested in performing flights with the A380 on a regular basis, so it made no sense to invest all that money.
The fact that they have invested in a proper A380 stand might be a sign of things to come, I honestly don't know.
In my personal opinion, the fact that they have invested so much money might be a little hint, though. On the other hand, it doesn't coincide nicely with the scheduled renewal of the boarding bridges of the B-Pier. So for all we know, they may have just upgraded 233 to A380 spec because it was bound to get new boarding bridges anyway.
Thomas

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

737MAX wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 10:57
airbuske wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 08:53
I totally agree. They have built the A380 bridge before making sure that all others basics are ok :!:

Bridges are broken , not enough staff at the connector or transfer platform, not enough police at the border control, airco not working , not enough busses or drivers for bus(de)boardings, IT problems,...

Welcome at Brushasa :roll:
Don’t forget to mention the automatic passport control gates! You already realize from that point what for a country Belgium is...

Unfriendly police officers, annoyed by their « job » (if we can call standing there doing nothing a job...), not helping anybody, acting rude towards passengers who cannot use these gates properly... sad mentality.

With some PAX friendly attitude and PAX oriented infrastructure, and a more destination-development management, BRU could take a big part of the PAX now travelling to/from/ via AMS.
AMS is saturated after a successful strategy of acting as London's 3rd or 4th (or 5th ) airport.
Recently they overtook FRA in PAX numbers.

Now with AMS saturated, good train connections etc , chances are open for BRU to go for more PAX.

But unfortunately, the airport made it a policy to remain old fashioned, customer unfriendly and indeed acts more as a real-estate company.

Time to change the management there as well ??

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Ansett wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 06:04But no offence meant, I strongly disagree with you when you say that "at AMS there are shops everywhere but not hindering passengers".

In the main departure hall where departing, arriving and connecting pax often have to cross each other, shops have been allowed to put up stalls outside their shops, hindering the flow of pax at an already overcrowded airport. I'm astonished you have not witnessed the slalom of pax in the main hall.

Actually, at BRU, I would gladly use again the once so much hated tunnel from check-in to Terminal A.
I might have been lucky not to have been at AMS at the peak summer months recently, but I think that if you wanted to walk to your gate and not come within 3 meters of a shop you could. Not many European airports to which that applies. The current problem at AMS is that it's much too busy, not the location of the shops imo.
JOVAN wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 12:06With some PAX friendly attitude and PAX oriented infrastructure, and a more destination-development management, BRU could take a big part of the PAX now travelling to/from/ via AMS.
AMS is saturated after a successful strategy of acting as London's 3rd or 4th (or 5th ) airport.
Recently they overtook FRA in PAX numbers.

Now with AMS saturated, good train connections etc , chances are open for BRU to go for more PAX.

But unfortunately, the airport made it a policy to remain old fashioned, customer unfriendly and indeed acts more as a real-estate company.
Definitely something to consider, as customer satisfaction at AMS also dropped because of it being overcrowded. It's a (too) small window of opportunity though, as in 2023 the extra terminal will open.