Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Conti764

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Conti764 »

sn26567 wrote: 30 Aug 2019, 17:16
I like Brussels Airport a lot and I don't want to just criticize them for nothing, but imho this is a joke. Paint the curb, put some boxes up with trees and it's fine... Nope.

If the old situation is never coming back, I'd have done it entirely different. That old curb was designed to even take trucks and busses. They weren't supposed to drive there but it could handle it, so imagine the thick layers of concrete and asphalt. I'd have scraped off as many layers as possible and would have created some 'real' garden with a lot of wood, benches, trees, flowers, some ponds,... And opened up the curb at two locations to allow daylight to brighten up the arrivals level as well. Renovate the entire front of both the old and 'new' terminal in the same way to have a warm welcoming feel.

This is just a shame.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Ok, let me explain.

As you probably knows, BAC bought the Sheraton in front of the airport some time ago. Real Estate is a big part of the airports portfolio. Two major reasons for this: the hotel has most of the time full capacity, sold out and second, when you are owner of it, you can do with it what you want.

And this will bring us to the topic and most relevant. This Sheraton will disappear from this place and will be build next to the terminal where we had that huge old DHL building. Like I explained earlier, this new place, what we called in the past T2, will be the place for this new hotel, mixed car park, under this building will be place for services, it will be also the intermodal hub and also passengers will experience this building much more as it will be an extension for the new terminal. Maybe not that big, but still it will be.

By removing the Sheraton from the current place, it will give us the needed place to completely widen open the departure curb and create several lines where cars can come to drop off pax. Of course the temporary drop off will disappear bcs this will be used for completely other issues.
So, pax will be dropped again in front of the terminal.

The terminal will not received just a new façade and some new things, it will be completely new, also inside. Everything will be according to the new standards, new way of check in, etc

So, I hope this will bring more light in your thoughts

Stij

Post by Stij »

Conti764 wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 08:48

Sorry, I misunderstood... No, indeed at the bus level nothing changed. I thougth you spoke in general. At departures and arrivals all is normalnagain xith all doors accesible...
Since when? A couple of weeks ago on the departures level, only one door was opened for entrance...

Stij

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Stij wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 11:33

Sorry, I misunderstood... No, indeed at the bus level nothing changed. I thougth you spoke in general. At departures and arrivals all is normalnagain xith all doors accesible...
Since when? A couple of weeks ago on the departures level, only one door was opened for entrance...

Stij
And another door for exit.
André
ex Sabena #26567

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

As from July 1st, if everything went according to plan.
It’s been a while since I’ve visited that side of the airport.
Thomas

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

Atlantis wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 10:52 Ok, let me explain.

As you probably knows, BAC bought the Sheraton in front of the airport some time ago. Real Estate is a big part of the airports portfolio. Two major reasons for this: the hotel has most of the time full capacity, sold out and second, when you are owner of it, you can do with it what you want.

And this will bring us to the topic and most relevant. This Sheraton will disappear from this place and will be build next to the terminal where we had that huge old DHL building. Like I explained earlier, this new place, what we called in the past T2, will be the place for this new hotel, mixed car park, under this building will be place for services, it will be also the intermodal hub and also passengers will experience this building much more as it will be an extension for the new terminal. Maybe not that big, but still it will be.

By removing the Sheraton from the current place, it will give us the needed place to completely widen open the departure curb and create several lines where cars can come to drop off pax. Of course the temporary drop off will disappear bcs this will be used for completely other issues.

The terminal will not received just a new façade and some new things, it will be completely new, also inside. Everything will be according to the new standards, new way of check in, etc

Dear Atlantis,

As long as we have fast, efficient and hassle-free luggage handling, smiling employees even if you dare speaking french, no 2 kilometers queues when we land at 7.30 am from the US, that will do for our passenger well-being.
I already know "THE" excuse "it's not us, it's Swissport or Aviapartner, it's Federal Politie, it's Group4 blablabla...".
Brussels Airport should dedicate it's energy into completing something else than a random shopping mall or developing it's real estate earnings and incomes activities.

When that time will have come I will travel again through BRU.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Darjeeling wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 13:51

Dear Atlantis,

As long as we have fast, efficient and hassle-free luggage handling, smiling employees even if you dare speaking french, no 2 kilometers queues when we land at 7.30 am from the US, that will do for our passenger well-being.
I already know "THE" excuse "it's not us, it's Swissport or Aviapartner, it's Federal Politie, it's Group4 blablabla...".
Brussels Airport should dedicate it's energy into completing something else than a random shopping mall or developing it's real estate earnings and incomes activities.

Darjeeling,

My post above is regarding the drop off zone, zone in front of the terminal, re-locating of Sheraton and the new multifunctional building next to the terminal. So I think that is clear. Let us not mix too much

But turn it much as you want, real estate is one of the keys of an airport. How you can run it if you don't have real estate ;)

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Stij wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 11:33

Stij
Start of the summer... At both arrivals and departures you can freely walk in and out through every door.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

So the current situation at the old drop off is only temporary?

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Dear Atlantis,

I flew DUS-AYT (and back of course): departures at DUS: having to go through a shopping mall. Departure at AYT: going through a shopping mall.

It's the new standard.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 16:20

So the current situation at the old drop off is only temporary?
This is what I'm saying already for a long time. It is temporary. The change will be completely different

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 16:23

Dear Atlantis,

I flew DUS-AYT (and back of course): departures at DUS: having to go through a shopping mall. Departure at AYT: going through a shopping mall.

It's the new standard.
Certain people stay stubborn in this. Like horses in a race. They only see the front.
If you go to Milan, Amsterdam, Beijing or Dubai, all you have to go through Duty Free. If you like it or not but this is like it is.
If you compare, BRU has a very little duty free if you compared with other airports.

And people like it bcs they buy a lot, everywhere. They compare and doing good deals. It's even cheaper at BRU than in Waw.

If there would be nothing, people would complain again. That the airport is dull and like a desert. You have all opinions.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Two more questions... What will happen to the old, dirty Front Park 2 and subsequently both offices on top (BAC Security and Federal Police?

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Thank you for this information! Can you tell us when the works will start on this 'new' terminal ? And will there be renders available in the (near) future to show us how it will look like?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 21:20

Two more questions... What will happen to the old, dirty Front Park 2 and subsequently both offices on top (BAC Security and Federal Police?
Front Park 2 will be demolished in the future. It will be replaced by new offices and Congress. There will be new remote car parks on the Southern zone which will be directly served with the airport shuttle.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Boavida wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 22:18

Thank you for this information! Can you tell us when the works will start on this 'new' terminal ? And will there be renders available in the (near) future to show us how it will look like?
According to the planning it will be also within two years bcs a big part is all connected with each other. But it will be in phases of course bcs the airport has still to run.

The renders who were used a couple of years ago where the artistic freedom of the architect bcs at that time it was not final decided yet. There will be new renders as from the moment that the final architect is known.

The renders e.g. Of the Belgian architect office Jaspers-Eyers, who is building a lot at BRU are very close to the reality. But they also only release it close to the moment of construction.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Ansett wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 22:57

Thanks a lot indeed, Atlantis, for this useful information.
Now, the million-dollar question is : have the studies for this ambitious plan been completed and approved?And just as important, when will the works start and be completed (or supposed to be completed) ? 2040 ?
The plans were all approved by the management, shareholders and many others who are involved. Without acception you can't come out with those plans.

Bcs those are ambitious plans, there were also many meetings with the communities and habitants around the airport. Those sessions are also completed.

I will remind you that a lot of parts in this plan are already finalised like the two brand new fire buildings, extention of car park 3 (under construction) the new buildings at Brucargo, etc. Many people don't know this but it is also part of it.

But what has the most impact like A pier West, the new terminal, the new road with better and advanced security to the airport takes a lot of time. That there is still no government is not helping bcs they have to deliver also a lot and we live in a bureaucracy. I don't have to tell you how long that takes.

Bear in mind also that we don't speak only about a new terminal, a new pier or drop off zone. We speak about more than hundreds of projects in this whole plan. That's why 20 years is quiet a short time.

We speak also about new tarmac for cargo at BRU cargo West, faster exit lanes at runway 25R/07L for cargo and pax. Extension of taxiway and/or extension of runway 25L/07R. New baggage handling, renovation of pier B, bridges, a new economic center, etc.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Atlantis wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 23:00 Front Park 2 will be demolished in the future. It will be replaced by new offices and Congress. There will be new remote car parks on the Southern zone which will be directly served with the airport shuttle.
It's a pity to see offices (which do absolutely not need to be close to the terminal) take the place of parking lots: car drivers need to be as close as possible to the terminal. This is also the case for the recently built office buildings which take valuable space that could better have been dedicated to passenger needs.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

sn26567 wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 23:59
Atlantis wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 23:00 Front Park 2 will be demolished in the future. It will be replaced by new offices and Congress. There will be new remote car parks on the Southern zone which will be directly served with the airport shuttle.
It's a pity to see offices (which do absolutely not need to be close to the terminal) take the place of parking lots: car drivers need to be as close as possible to the terminal. This is also the case for the recently built office buildings which take valuable space that could better have been dedicated to passenger needs.
A few reasons for this. Deloitte, Microsoft, KPMG were first in the row to have their new offices at the airport. For their meetings with a lot of foreign guests they don't have to drive to the big city or to other cities. They can stay now on the airport and depart from there again to not loose any time.
Employees of Deloitte and KPMG have their own parking space under their buildings. The majority of the employees have their parking space at Brucargo. Shuttle service is arranged for them. So they don't take too much other parking space.
Of course for those companies and the future ones, it is also kind of a prestige.

Second issue. Brussels Airport wants to stimulate public transport. In a couple of years it has to grow to 50%. More people with train, bus, tram and bike to the airport. Less emissions also

Third reason is the congestion of the Brussels highway. That's why at Brucargo a huge car park will be build, this for people who are coming from the North and West side, E19
On the South side a few car parks will be build for people who are coming from the South, E40. This when they receive green light for this extra road from the E40
All are connected with a very fast airport shuttle. Check in of baggage and yourself will be also possible from those car parks

Change of mentality, but will be much better

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Renovation of runway 25R/07L at Brussels Airport in July-August 2020

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brus ... gust-2020/
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting