Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Conti764

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Conti764 »

Boavida wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 14:58
Conti764 wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 07:59 Quite unfair. If you want to compare entrances, take BRU's terminal buildings as example and not this temporary infrastructure which makes the tents actually a good thing. If it was more than temporary a more definitive construction would have been build.
It's not unfair. This IS the entrance area for all passengers who are dropped off, arrive by bus or taxi. That is a LOT of pax! They never see the exterior of the departure hall due to this "temporary" drop off zone. Temporary since 2016 and probably here to stay for many, many years to come. So not so temporary...
It IS temporary. Covid-19 probably slows everything down but that's a valid excuse. Cash is very low at this time. Most passengers don't give a damn about how it looks at the drop off and given the fact that in normal times parkings are filled to capacity, a large numbers of passengers do see the terminal building iso the drop off zone.
I still haven't seen a plan to modernise the area. And I'm afraid Corona will be the perfect excuse to delay things even further... :|
Because it will go away one day. The train station will expand, the bus station will be renovated, trams (and subway?) will be added to it...

Why waste money on things that are going away?

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

De Lijn is to create a new tram line from Brussels - North to Brussels Airport, from 2026, using the current 25 and 62 paths and should be built from 2023 the area from "Eurocontrol" to Brussels Airport.

https://www.dhnet.be/regions/bruxelles/ ... .facebook

Why not STIB/MIVB by extending tram line 62?
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

TLspotting wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 09:10 De Lijn is to create a new tram line from Brussels - North to Brussels Airport, from 2026, using the current 25 and 62 paths and should be built from 2023 the area from "Eurocontrol" to Brussels Airport.

Remarkable, indeed. If De Lijn is using MIVB-tramways, it means investing in a relatively small subfleet of trams since the MIVB uses a different gauge than De Lijn.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

Atlantis wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 10:29
Conti764 wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 07:59
Boavida wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 21:08 At CRL, things are moving. New entrance infrastructure:

Nothing spectacular but... compare this to the 'grand entrance' of BRU. :o Messy and ugly. Does this even look like an airport? People have to walk through a tent(!) to pass the ugly busstation to finally get to a small door to enter the airport. My local containerpark looks better.

"The heart of Europe", ladies and gentlemen. Nothing is done here, there isn't even a plan (apart from some 2040(!) fantasy vision). It's shameful.

THIS is how modern airport infrastructure should look like:

I wonder does Arnaud Feist ever visits other airports?
Quite unfair. If you want to compare entrances, take BRU's terminal buildings as example and not this temporary infrastructure which makes the tents actually a good thing. If it was more than temporary a more definitive construction would have been build.
Exactly. If you want to compare its indeed with the real entrance buildings and not the drop off zone.
BTW the facade is now also completely refreshed. The old looking is completely removed and is in the style of the Deloitte building.

It's also extremely low regarding the personal attack on Mr Feist. What do you think by yourself Boavida???
Atlantis,
This "Entrance" is a SHAME.
Please tell your Mr. Feist.
Are you guys at BRU from another planet ??

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

TLspotting wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 09:10 De Lijn is to create a new tram line from Brussels - North to Brussels Airport, from 2026, using the current 25 and 62 paths and should be built from 2023 the area from "Eurocontrol" to Brussels Airport.

https://www.dhnet.be/regions/bruxelles/ ... 8.facebook

This is going to be the extension of line 62!

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

2026 is still a long time, but I wonder if this project is going to be build with the future public transportation facilities at BRU (e.g. renovated/new bus terminal, expanded train station,...)?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

TLspotting wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 18:00

https://www.dhnet.be/regions/bruxelles/ ... 8.facebook

This is going to be the extension of line 62!
It confirms a discussion I had with Brussels Airport CEO Arnaud Feist during the demonstration run of the trambus of De Lijn. I asked him when there would be a 'real' tram at the airport (as opposed to a 'trambus'). He answered that there were ongoing discussions, which have now produced results. However, 2026 is far away: we should hire some Chinese to make it faster!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

I would take the information from the DH with a pinch of salt about this 2026 date.
They also say that the tram 62 will bring you from North Station to the Airport in ... 30 minutes. The existing train takes 11 minutes.

So 2026, maybe. After all we know how long anything takes over here. When JFK made his speech in 1961 to go to the moon, it took them 8 years to make it. And at that time NASA had just launched one (1) crewed (suborbital) 15 minute flight.
In 5 years time we will prolong an existing tram line by 4km.

Aaaaargh !

H.A.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 20:21 I would take the information from the DH with a pinch of salt about this 2026 date.
They also say that the tram 62 will bring you from North Station to the Airport in ... 30 minutes. The existing train takes 11 minutes.

So 2026, maybe. After all we know how long anything takes over here. When JFK made his speech in 1961 to go to the moon, it took them 8 years to make it. And at that time NASA had just launched one (1) crewed (suborbital) 15 minute flight.

Aaaaargh !

H.A.
Maybe it has something to do with (preperations for) other projects as well?

The entire F2 and everything on it (Sheraton, offices) is due to disappear at some point. A larger trainstation,...

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 20:21 I would take the information from the DH with a pinch of salt about this 2026 date.

Aaaaargh !

H.A.
Yep but the thing is, have you already looked at the prices?

There is a huge difference, I mean it's like taking tram line 8 because it goes from Louise to Roodebeek while the shortest is to take the line 2/6 to Arts-Loi then line 1...

The possible route is really interesting, there are lots of new connecting lines at Brussels Airport (such as 820).

In Brussels, it goes to Bordet (S4, S5, S7, S9, IC, 21, 32, 45, 55, 59, 64, 65, 69, 80), Meiser (7, 25, 63 + many De Lijn lines), then Liedts (25, 32,55) and Brussels North (3, 4, 14, 20, 25, 32, 55, 61 + lots of De Lijn)...

I wrote the different lines for the time being, as Metro 3 is to be done to Brussels North in 2024 and to Bordet around 2030. It becomes a bit off-topic as lines "62" and 25 could change their direction, 62 (with probably a new number, maybe 10, 11 or 12) entering and going to Rogier iso North, and 25 heading to "Cimetière de Jette".

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

https://ibb.co/tD1qYq8

Renovation of old terminal facade nearing completion.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

I recently saw the renovated facade of the (old) terminal and I can say: WELL DONE! Beautifully executed, both terminals now seem one unified building. Finally :) They could have chosen a new, higher roof structure (now they expanded the current/old one), but that's OK.

Now I hope they slowly start to renovate the interior of the terminal. It needs to loose that dated 90's-look.

A very beautiful example of a modern airport interior is Oslo Airport:

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Yesterday I arrived at BRU from a short trip. The scenes I saw at the airport were... sorry to say... disgraceful. And I'm talking about the baggage reclaim area.

Arriving in the baggage reclaim area from the modern Connector is like taking a time machine and go 30 years back in time. But the fact that it looks dark and old fashioned with its low ceiling is not the worst thing. It has become way too small for the current amount of flights and pax (and we're not even at full capacity now!).

The scenes around belt 7 and 8 (where the offices of the handlers are) were horrible: literally hundreds of bags were laying around on the ground next to the belts. Most bags were transfer bags who clearly missed their connection at BRU. They were just laying there. Arriving pax were walking around them looking for their own... People with bad intentions can just take one and walk out. And the worst thing: the smell from these bags. It stinks in the reclaim area. At some points the smell was so bad people almost had to vomit. I saw several people taking pictures of the mess.

The handlers clearly don't have space to store bags out of sight from arriving passengers and I don't see a way how this cramped reclaim area could be enlarged. There is only 1 solution for this: a new terminal with another reclaim area to relieve pressure on the current one.

I'm afraid the vague '2040' plans need to be accelerated. It's urgent.

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Hello,
Can someone post some pics of the renovated facade completed ?
And of others renovated parts / new works ?
Thanks in advance!

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

IMG_20210912_181101_1..jpg
IMG_20210912_181101_1..jpg

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

Simple quick pictures/

Outside works are finished and in 'harmony' with rest of building.

Now see what will change inside?

Duke

Post by Duke »

Boavida wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 10:46
The scenes around belt 7 and 8 (where the offices of the handlers are) were horrible: literally hundreds of bags were laying around on the ground next to the belts. Most bags were transfer bags who clearly missed their connection at BRU. They were just laying there. Arriving pax were walking around them looking for their own... People with bad intentions can just take one and walk out. And the worst thing: the smell from these bags. It stinks in the reclaim area. At some points the smell was so bad people almost had to vomit. I saw several people taking pictures of the mess.

You're right... I arrived last Sunday from Malaga, and our bags were delivered at belt 8 (about 30 minutes after our arrival, which was surprisingly long...), and I was surprised to see all the bags just laying around unattended... Nobody seemed to care about them...
It was the first time I had to go all the way to belt 8, and I never noticed how badly the situation was on that side of the bagage reclaim area...
Surely something to be taken care of..
Regards,

Duke

Sai

Post by Sai »

For those who have a 'Brussels Airport Pcard+' from Interparking...
They silently changed their conditions

One of the main advantages was that you could park at P1 Front, P2 and P3 for free for up to 30 min.
Very convenient to drop off or pick-up someone close to the Terminal, without queuing and covered from outside conditions or just to get something at the airport.
I suddenly saw charges on my CC and contacted them and they admitted they changed conditions (without any warning or info)

So....basically your BRU Airport Card + became just a regular Parking company card :roll:

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Sai wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 14:13 One of the main advantages was that you could park at P1 Front, P2 and P3 for free for up to 30 min.
This is very unfortunate as I have been happily using this perk regularly over the years.

5 EUR per hour is a rather discouraging fee.

https://brusselsairport.interparking.be ... r-parkings

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Established02 wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 15:52
Sai wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 14:13 One of the main advantages was that you could park at P1 Front, P2 and P3 for free for up to 30 min.
This is very unfortunate as I have been happily using this perk regularly over the years.

5 EUR per hour is a rather discouraging fee.
The PCard still gives you a 10% discount though.
André
ex Sabena #26567