Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

lumumba

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by lumumba »

BRU wrote:Connector is a huge improvement, making travel a lot easier and faster and nicer than the tunnel we had in the past. The fact you have to walk true a shop is no exception in BRU only and not adding anyrhing to the travel time. For a lot of passeners these shops make travel more pleasent. Also, biggest spenders are often businness travellers going home or buying gifts to take with them.

You can not make an airport that suits everybody, but complaining about connector compared to previous situation ? Can not understand that based on facts or rationality...

I'm totally agree with you the connector is an improvement more light nice view etc..

But on the B side it's a mess it's realy looks bad there is no space and it looks realy cheap.
And this zigzag in this cheap shops it's realy sad!!!

There is no place to eat something good you have a Pizzahut and a Panos and a sort of canteen food that's all!!!!

You have a small place to eat fish but it's crowded there you can not eat and enjoy.

If you compare to the Holland boulevard :-(

That's realy not enough they have to make it better.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

BRU wrote:You can not make an airport that suits everybody, but complaining about connector compared to previous situation ? Can not understand that based on facts or rationality...
Based on personal experience sir! I go through there twice a week, mainly A pier, and I don't see any improvement, I see a disaster waiting to happen. Have you been there during peak arrival/departure times during holidays when all these families with childeren are trying to find their way? It is simply impossible to walk on a straight line when you need to go against the main stream, you constantly have to avoid opposite walking passengers.
They should have kept the tunnel for arrival, with the option to go through the shops for those who want.
(mainly big spenders with a bad conscience.)

barnabelg

Post by barnabelg »

BRU wrote:Connector is a huge improvement, making travel a lot easier and faster and nicer than the tunnel we had in the past.
Easier, no. As other have said, the route is now a constant zig-zag between shops and other passengers (coming towards you). The tunnel was a nice straight line with both directions separated. (Building the connector was like removing a highway between cities and reopening a "N" road going through every town centre. Would you call that an improvement? And for the same reason it is not faster. If you used the elevators, the tunnel was faster.)
Basically, a bad situation that previously only existed in the "Z" between the elevators and the gates (since they decided to put a wine shop smack in the middle of the direct line to the gates) is now extended to the entire route between main building and A gates. (And, yes, as other have said: an accident waiting to happen, with the overcrowding.)

I agree it is "nicer" now. But I don't go to airports for "nice". I want efficient. I just want to get home / to work fast without spending time there (and without working myself in a sweat).
BRU wrote:The fact you have to walk true a shop is no exception in BRU only and not adding anyrhing to the travel time.
So if others do something wrong, then it's OK to make the same mistake?
BRU wrote:For a lot of passeners these shops make travel more pleasent.
Good for them. But don't force everyone to "enjoy" them. Leave a choice.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

I think that an airport is also a first or last impression of a visitor.

And it's like business card for or country so yes it has to be nice and beautiful.
And it is,it can be better I just came back from Madrid it's realy amazing what they did there.
The only thing in Brussels is that they force you to go true the shops.
But in other airports it's also like this Lisboa,Munich etc...
But for the rest it's a big improvement,remember the security checks they did down there it was awful...
Now you have a nice view and there is light it's not Madrid but There is not enough money to make it like that in Brussels.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

lumumba wrote: But on the B side it's a mess it's realy looks bad there is no space and it looks realy cheap.

There is no place to eat something good you have a Pizzahut and a Panos and a sort of canteen food that's all!!!!

You have a small place to eat fish but it's crowded there you can not eat and enjoy.

I think you are talking about the Gallery of Light (located after the new passport control)? That's not part of Connector itself, but indeed very far from being a great zone. It is however being redeveloped, another year and it should be finished as well as another part of Connector which is not open yet.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

RoMax wrote:
lumumba wrote: But on the B side it's a mess it's realy looks bad there is no space and it looks realy cheap.

I think you are talking about the Gallery of Light (located after the new passport control)? That's not part of Connector itself, but indeed very far from being a great zone. It is however being redeveloped, another year and it should be finished as well as another part of Connector which is not open yet.
Nice to hear about that,is there more place in the connector?

Bel33

Post by Bel33 »

Intersting information in La Libre concerning the future of Brussels Airport: The investment plan of a planned billion, and already started to Zaventem airport is not questioned, said the CEO of Brussels Airport, Arnaud Feist, as the main shareholder of airport, the Canadian pension fund OTPP, confirmed its support for the airport hit by an attack on March 22. The renewal of the departure hall in a "terminal of the future" and extension of Pier A are confirmed as priority (202-2023)

Freken

Post by Freken »

Bel33 wrote:The renewal of the departure hall in a "terminal of the future" and extension of Pier A are confirmed as priority (202-2023)
Didn't they previously state that the "terminal of the future" would be a brand new departure hall, and not a renovation of the current one?

Bel33

Post by Bel33 »

Freken wrote:
Bel33 wrote:The renewal of the departure hall in a "terminal of the future" and extension of Pier A are confirmed as priority (202-2023)
Didn't they previously state that the "terminal of the future" would be a brand new departure hall, and not a renovation of the current one?
Probably a mix of renovation and some new parts for pre-screening...

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

De Tijd also had an interview with L.Bujega, BAC board member on behalf of the biggest shareholder, onboard Brussels Airlines flight to Toronto which also carried A.Feist, B.Gustin and P.De Crem.

http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaar ... 1462945121

Some interesting quotes:

Financially, 2015 was the best year ever for the airport.

Investment in further expansion is not frozen.

Shareholders forgo their dividend over 2015 (and 2016) to free sufficient financial resources.

Costs of the attacks estimated around €100m, but well covered through insurances, not just the material damage, but also the income loss; still 'a few tens of million' will remain.

Airport hopes to have returned to pre terror volume level of activity in 6 months as it sees the gap is closing with last year since a couple of weeks.

BRU has decided to postpone announcing its results over 2015 out of respect for what has happened: results will be presented end may, beginning of June.

Freken

Post by Freken »

From 30/05 work carried out at night on A201 to improve access to BRU. Traffic may be somewhat slower.

Anyone knows what is being worked on/improved?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Freken wrote:From 30/05 work carried out at night on A201 to improve access to BRU. Traffic may be somewhat slower.

BRU will have a separate road for employees to the airport. On this way there will be a split between travellers and employees, which is a very good solution.
This was the plan they had to start this year, I'm not 100% sure if the construction works now has to do with it, so don't shoot me.
The construction works now will be, of course, also next to the fly over and will be partly build. Next year the construction will be finalised. This according to the original plan which I revealed some time ago.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Atlantis wrote:
Freken wrote:From 30/05 work carried out at night on A201 to improve access to BRU. Traffic may be somewhat slower.

BRU will have a separate road for employees to the airport. On this way there will be a split between travellers and employees, which is a very good solution.
This was the plan they had to start this year, I'm not 100% sure if the construction works now has to do with it, so don't shoot me.
The construction works now will be, of course, also next to the fly over and will be partly build. Next year the construction will be finalised. This according to the original plan which I revealed some time ago.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but do most employees not go to the GA area/P58 instead of the airport?
Why would the fly-over need to be ammended for that?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sean1982 wrote: Correct me if i'm wrong, but do most employees not go to the GA area/P58 instead of the airport?
P41, P20, P27 to name a few (I don't know all the numbers, but there are several more) follow most of the regular pax routes and that's a significant amount of people. I'm not 100% sure, but I thought also the staff of Gateway and Passport would use the staff routes, that will be hundreds of additional cars (Gateway for example has 400 underground parking lots).

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Seriously? Never knew that. Thanks for clearing it up! :)

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

sean1982 wrote: Correct me if i'm wrong, but do most employees not go to the GA area/P58 instead of the airport?
It's (mainly SN) flight & cabin crew and b.house employees that use P58.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

sean1982 wrote:
Atlantis wrote:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but do most employees not go to the GA area/P58 instead of the airport?
A lot of employees need to take that road. Think about Jetair with their HQ at the airport all Brussels Airport staff, the catering companies, handling, etc. In the near future all the employees of Deloitte and KPMG has to take the same road, employees and suppliers for the Sheraton Hotel. It is quiet a very huge number of employees who need to take this road together with the travellers. So the separated way will be more than welcome.

barnabelg

Post by barnabelg »

Atlantis wrote:So the separated way will be more than welcome.
Why? What is wrong with everyone taking the same road? I don't remember ever having trouble (under normal circumstances) to get to the airport by road.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

barnabelg wrote:
Why? What is wrong with everyone taking the same road? I don't remember ever having trouble (under normal circumstances) to get to the airport by road.
I'm agree with you....

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

lumumba wrote:
barnabelg wrote:
I'm agree with you....
How about this is one of the security measurements taken in the aftermath of 22 March? Both access roads could be equipped with license plate cameras, fast track for emergency services, access with BRU badge only etc etc