Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by Inquirer »

Well, I suppose BRU needs to block an even number of gates for them if it is a truly separated section of the Pier which is reserved for them, but indeed, I doubt they will stop expanding intercontinentally just because they are said to be reaching a fleet of 10 long distance planes by the end of this year?

With their business truly kickstarted now, it's not a wild daydream to see them grow to 12 long distance planes in a few more years: if just half the routes they have mentioned themselves are actually picked up, they might be even short on planes then, so BRU would do well to plan ahead and reserve them sufficient space for growth.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Stij wrote:I read 4 gates in the B pier fro SN, for 3 daily flights... ;-)
Someone's expecting non-African growth!

Cheers,

Stij
Actually if look the indication on the ground, the four last gate can accommodate or 4 narrow-body, or 3 wide-body so it will only be for the moment for the transatlantic flight.
Flying Scout wrote:It's a pitty that SN is going for the 4 last gates. I think commercially it would be better if the gates were closer to the beginning of pier B. Now it's a long walk to the gate and back after arrival.
If they want to do a dedicated space for Brussels Airlines, it need to be at the of the pear. If not all the pax of other airlines would have to go through.

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Flying Scout wrote:It's a pitty that SN is going for the 4 last gates. I think commercially it would be better if the gates were closer to the beginning of pier B. Now it's a long walk to the gate and back after arrival.
By going for the end of the B Pier, it allows the creation of a dedicated zone only used by SN.

On top of that, passengers connecting from North America to Africa and v.v. needn't enter the Schengen zone (and can thus connect in BRU without a Schengen visa) because there's a transit buslink between the T zone and this newly created SN zone in Pier B.

Finally, to accomodate all those departing passengers in the B Pier in a comfortable way, there will be an all new and much bigger lounge build in the B Pier. Meanwhile, The Loft in Pier A will be expanded too as it's a huge success amongst our passengers as well as those from partner airlines.

Expansion, expansion, expansion, because we now need to prepare to be flying 10M passengers per annum within 2 years from now.Who ever came to BRU to say something about being by far the biggest in Belgium in 2014 already? :wave:

Stij

Post by Stij »

crew1990 wrote:Actually if look the indication on the ground, the four last gate can accommodate or 4 narrow-body, or 3 wide-body so it will only be for the moment for the transatlantic flight.
Hi Crew1990!

You're correct!

One more question if I may? will SN's short haul non-Schengen flights leave from these 4 gates as well?

Cheers,

Stij

134flyer

Post by 134flyer »

tolipanebas wrote:Finally, to accomodate all those departing passengers in the B Pier in a comfortable way, there will be an all new and much bigger lounge build in the B Pier. Meanwhile, The Loft in Pier A will be expanded too as it's a huge success amongst our passengers as well as those from partner airlines.
Good to hear the lounges will be expanded, but it would be even nicer to have really separate SN Business & Senator lounges, both in the A Pier the B Pier, just as LH, LX and OS have.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Good to hear the lounges will be expanded, but it would be even nicer to have really separate SN Business & Senator lounges, both in the A Pier the B Pier, just as LH, LX and OS have.
Are there enough Senators in Brussels to justify such separate lounges?
André
ex Sabena #26567

134flyer

Post by 134flyer »

sn26567 wrote:
Well, not only LH group Senators have access to Senator lounges, all Star Gold have access to Senator lounges as well, so basically the only pax in Business lounges are non-status C pax and LH Group Frequent Travellers (Silver), so imho there is indeed demand for Senator lounges at BRU; like I said, all other LH group hubs have them...

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

What's the reason for the works being done at gate 233?
Removal of jetway, including the load master cabin. And at the terminal facade there is an opening at the level that would be ideal to install an upperdeck jetway.

Are they fitting it out to serve A380?

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

134flyer wrote:
sn26567 wrote:
Well, not only LH group Senators have access to Senator lounges, all Star Gold have access to Senator lounges as well, so basically the only pax in Business lounges are non-status C pax and LH Group Frequent Travellers (Silver), so imho there is indeed demand for Senator lounges at BRU; like I said, all other LH group hubs have them...
LH silver can go to the Bussiness lounge?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

When might we expect an update about A-pier West?

134flyer

Post by 134flyer »

lumumba wrote:LH silver can go to the Bussiness lounge?
Yes they can indeed:
Frequent Travellers who are travelling in Economy Class on a scheduled flight operated by a Star Alliance airline can enjoy their stay at the airport in one of the Austrian Airlines, Lufthansa or SWISS Business Lounges or in the lounges of Miles & More partner Brussels Airlines
http://www.miles-and-more.com/online/po ... &cid=18002

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

134flyer wrote:
tolipanebas wrote:Finally, to accomodate all those departing passengers in the B Pier in a comfortable way, there will be an all new and much bigger lounge build in the B Pier. Meanwhile, The Loft in Pier A will be expanded too as it's a huge success amongst our passengers as well as those from partner airlines.
Such top infrastructure is indeed missing in BRU, but personally I find their lounge in Pier A is by far the best non-Senator lounge within the Lufthansa universe that I have come across: other than the fact that access is obviously not as exclusive and it is thus more frequently used, I can only think of few facilities of a Senator lounge not equally offered in the Loft in fact.

In Pier B indeed, their lounge is just standard, so for real frequent flyers like Senators or HON (yes, you have those too in BRU... hint hint ;) ) , their current lounge is below the average indeed, but I read they are going to create a Loft 2 in Pier B, so that would be a big improvement and IMHO solve much of the problem if it's as good as the other one.

I think that Loft concept of theirs is a very nice 'hybrid solution' where they position a single lounge somewhere in between the more exclusive Senator lounges and the quite common standard lounges, a bit like the airline is doing as a whole in fact towards the many more 'non-lounging passengers' if I may call average passengers that way for a minute without willing to sound disrespectful.

A truly hybrid airline is what they are indeed and going by their results, I think one can safely say the market appreciation in Belgium is very positive of such kind of a product.

134flyer

Post by 134flyer »

Inquirer wrote:Such top infrastructure is indeed missing in BRU, but personally I find their lounge in Pier A is by far the best non-Senator lounge within the Lufthansa universe that I have come across: other than the fact that access is obviously not as exclusive and it is thus more frequently used, I can only think of few facilities of a Senator lounge not equally offered in the Loft in fact.
You are absolutely right about the Loft lounge; way better than the average LH Business lounge and almost 'Senator worthy'. But as the Loft lounge is supposedly being expanded due to it's huge success (also because the SK lounge has been closed), why not indeed create a separate Senator Loft Lounge instead of just expanding the 'access for all FTL, SEN & non-elite C pax' Loft Lounge?

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

134flyer wrote:
Inquirer wrote:Such top infrastructure is indeed missing in BRU, but personally I find their lounge in Pier A is by far the best non-Senator lounge within the Lufthansa universe that I have come across: other than the fact that access is obviously not as exclusive and it is thus more frequently used, I can only think of few facilities of a Senator lounge not equally offered in the Loft in fact.
You are absolutely right about the Loft lounge; way better than the average LH Business lounge and almost 'Senator worthy'. But as the Loft lounge is supposedly being expanded due to it's huge success (also because the SK lounge has been closed), why not indeed create a separate Senator Loft Lounge instead of just expanding the 'access for all FTL, SEN & non-elite C pax' Loft Lounge?
I can only guess here, but maybe because they have relatively few of those passengers and/or think that it would give a negative impression on their carefully crafted image of a hybrid airline?

I remember you that they go to great lengths to be seen not as any other traditional network airline, nor as just another low service airline, so taking care of their 'lounging passengers' in a untraditional way could be part of their commercial strategy too, of course.
One that I don't mind personally as a frequent user of their lounge, as well as that of the SEN lounges elsewhere in Europe. As said: the only drawback of the Loft is that it's getting a bit too popular at peak times, because their business in BRU is simply booming, you can see that every time I fly them, so expanding it would be a very welcome investment, even though it has only recently opened.

CRJ 900

Post by CRJ 900 »

As being a Senator myself, I can only agree with the remarks above: The Loft is definitely Senator worthy. In the last weeks I visited a couple of times the Senator lounge in MUC and to be honest The Loft gave a much better impression.
A good Senator lounge in ZRH. But this one is often very crowdy.
And a real good one: LAX!
So in conclusion: The Loft is definitely a great lounge and I really look forward to have a similar experience in the B-terminal.
Rgds,
CRJ 900

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

The Loft is good but two things are not so good the coffee is realy not good and there are always much people .
In Munich or Frankfurt(Senator) are less crowdy.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

CRJ 900

Post by CRJ 900 »

Agree with FRA, but during my last two visits to MUC: very crowdy SEN lounge. All the sofa's full. Only a couple of high chairs left.
CRJ 900

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

No need to say that all planned infrastructure plans, expanding of the airport, is postponed as budget will be used for the rebuilding of the terminal. So all other projects are very uncertain at this moment.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Atlantis wrote:No need to say that all planned infrastructure plans, expanding of the airport, is postponed as budget will be used for the rebuilding of the terminal. So all other projects are very uncertain at this moment.
Isn't the insurance intervening for such cases? Or the State?
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Discussions with insurers will be "interesting"*, are likely to take a very long time, given the amounts at stake, and might well end up in court. But I cannot see the state or government being involved, except if they see a need for temporary urgency measures, as they well might. The government must ensure daily life can go on, and the national hub airport is an essential factor. Apart from that, they are only concerned for the part of shares they hold.

Cynical as it may sound (and please do believe such is not my intention, and I apologise to those who still wish to take my words like that) I could imagine the present ravage might offer an opportunity for a major reconception of the terminal area, more extensive than would otherwise be conceivable or economically realistic. A bit like the ravage of post-WW2 Brussels left room for finalising the North-South railway connection.

*I seem to remember "acts of war" and similar phrases to figure in the small print of insurance contracts, and have every confidence the insurance companies will try and get the maximum out of them - meaning they'll pay as little as they absolutely must. And who can blame them?