Boeing to launch a 737 replacement - rumor or fact?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

smokejumper

Boeing to launch a 737 replacement - rumor or fact?

Post by smokejumper »

a Seattle newspaper is reporting that Boeing plans to launch the 737 replacement next year. Let's see what develops.

see: http://blog.seattlepi.com/aerospace/archives/235279.asp

Story:
Report: Boeing will launch 737 replacement in 2011 or 2012
Boeing will launch a program to replace its 737 in 2011 or early 2012, with entry into service in 2017 or 2018, a new analyst report predicts.

Responding to upstart competitors in the market for single-aisle jets with more than 100 seats, Airbus' last month announced that it would outfit its A320 family with new, more-efficient engines. But Boeing executives have said they're more likely to launch a 737 replacement that would enter service around 2020.

The new aircraft will replace the 737 and out-of-production 717 and 757, according to a Buckingham Research note that at Leeham News and Comment cited Tuesday.

"There is an opportunity for [Boeing] to exploit a competitive advantage as we don't think any of the new market entrants offers operators a comprehensive solution to changing market dynamics (fuel prices, demand for higher capacity, etc.)," Buckingham wrote, adding that demands of Airbus' A350 XWB and A400M programs will keep the rival plane maker from having the resources to follow suit, giving Boeing a potential three-year head start.

They also predicted that Boeing would put off a decision on upgrading or replacing the wide-body 777 by a year or two, because technical challenges will delay Airbus' A350-1000, easing pressures on the 777.

The A350-1000 is the largest version of the A350 XWB composite airliner line and most-direct threat to the 777. In addition to whatever challenges the A350 program may face, Boeing executives reportedly believe the family's Rolls-Royce Trent XWB engine won't be big enough for the A350-1000.

Nevihta

Re: Boeing to launch a 737 replacement - rumor or fact?

Post by Nevihta »

I don't know if anybody is going to give any credit to planning published by Airbus or Boeing...

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

I have read something like that a few months ago (Flightglobal) . There they are "speculating" about a double aisle narrow-body 737 replacement:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/fligh ... -glim.html

regi

Post by regi »

They will have to hurry up, now that the A320 NEO comes into place - see the Indian order.

earthman

Post by earthman »

Seeing that drawing the first question that popped into my head was "what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

PYX

Post by PYX »

regi wrote:They will have to hurry up, now that the A320 NEO comes into place - see the Indian order.
A Memorandum of Understanding is not an order. Until the contracts are signed and the deposits paid there is no order.

regi

Post by regi »

PYX wrote:
regi wrote:They will have to hurry up, now that the A320 NEO comes into place - see the Indian order.
A Memorandum of Understanding is not an order. Until the contracts are signed and the deposits paid there is no order.
100% right remark . And history has shown that if all the planes, that had a MoU, had been made, we probably would have to build desert parking lots for unused airplanes.
And even a real order does often not lead to the manufacturing of the specific airplane. See numerous cancellations, design changes, bankrupties etcetera.
Thanks for the corrective remark btw.

regi

Post by regi »

PYX wrote:
Great, just after my previous posting, now that bankrupty of Mandala with the question who will take the ordered Airbusses. Good example.

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

Fact. Anybody can tell you that Boeing will (eventually) build a 737 replacement.

Much less people know when if anybody already knows it at all.

That patent design looks fat (and I don't mean cool) even if that were to be the smallest version of the bird we're talking about. And I'm already fearing single-aisle 4-4 seating (or will it be standing?) for the likes of Ryanair and friends around the world.

regi

Post by regi »

BrightCedars wrote:Fact. Anybody can tell you that Boeing will (eventually) build a 737 replacement.

Much less people know when if anybody already knows it at all.

That patent design looks fat (and I don't mean cool) even if that were to be the smallest version of the bird we're talking about. And I'm already fearing single-aisle 4-4 seating (or will it be standing?) for the likes of Ryanair and friends around the world.
If we squeeze that duck at the sides , and with the knowledge that most LCC's don't care about cargo, we could see a oval mini double deck appear on the drawing board. 3+3, but double layer. To MoL: I have a patent pending on this :)

earthman

Post by earthman »

The Boeing Duckliner?

regi

Post by regi »

earthman wrote:The Boeing Duckliner?
patent pending on that name as well :)