Qantas Safety

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Duigan

Qantas Safety

Post by Duigan »

A worrying trend appears to be developing at Qantas with more and more Engine or Airframe problems
Some are blaming the outsourcing of maintenance to Singapore and Germany

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/qant ... 5949509032

DeltaWiskey

Re: Qantas Safety

Post by DeltaWiskey »

Sensationalism?

Every airline has his ups and down with 'incidents'. Qantas had an impeccable safety record pre 2005, probably too good to last forever. Statics are catching up now to average I suppose.

German engineers are known to be one of the best in the world, there's nothing to blame them. I certainly don't think you can blame Qantas either for the story with the A380.

Remember the SAS Q400 story?

I hope that bad momentum changes now for Qantas... It did for SAS however.

regi

Post by regi »

DeltaWiskey wrote:Sensationalism?

Every airline has his ups and down with 'incidents'. Qantas had an impeccable safety record pre 2005, probably too good to last forever. Statics are catching up now to average I suppose.

German engineers are known to be one of the best in the world, there's nothing to blame them. I certainly don't think you can blame Qantas either for the story with the A380.

Remember the SAS Q400 story?

I hope that bad momentum changes now for Qantas... It did for SAS however.
Something wrong with Q400 airplanes? ;)

dsa330

Post by dsa330 »

i've said it before, and i will say it again. The bigger the fleet, the more chance on problems. And once you had a problem media will keep focussing on that company to.

Take a smaller company instead, let's take SN. smaller company, so less problems. Also the media attention doesn't come focussing on the smaller problems they have.

regi

Post by regi »

dsa330 wrote:i've said it before, and i will say it again. The bigger the fleet, the more chance on problems. And once you had a problem media will keep focussing on that company to.

Take a smaller company instead, let's take SN. smaller company, so less problems. Also the media attention doesn't come focussing on the smaller problems they have.
right

Duigan

Post by Duigan »

Issues with Engines seems to be on going with Qantas. Sure they are a large airline but the Australians have grounded Tiger for what would largely seem like maintenance issues

http://www.news.com.au/national/springb ... 6096032535

regi

Post by regi »

Duigan wrote:Issues with Engines seems to be on going with Qantas. Sure they are a large airline but the Australians have grounded Tiger for what would largely seem like maintenance issues

http://www.news.com.au/national/springb ... 6096032535
It is a bit strange that the Tiger issue has not been mentioned here. ( or I must have overlooked it) I didn't report on it because I thought it is more for people who have experience with Tiger.
But the company is well known for flights in SE Asia. And has a good reputation. Many Australinas even prefer Tiger instead of Qantas , and not only because of price.

But the previous reply is a bit off topic because the topic goes about...Qantas.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

This has nothing to do with safety (or does it?), but the former Australia Civil Aviation Safety Authority chairman Dick Smith has predicted that Qantas International will go bankrupt unless it moves its operations to Asia.

http://www.aviationbrief.com/?p=2650
André
ex Sabena #26567

hakan

Post by hakan »

sn26567 wrote:This has nothing to do with safety (or does it?), but the former Australia Civil Aviation Safety Authority chairman Dick Smith has predicted that Qantas International will go bankrupt unless it moves its operations to Asia.

http://www.aviationbrief.com/?p=2650
As an Australian, I can tell you that Dick Smith is another sensationalist in our country. The several different unions in Qantas are long time bashing their own company for several reasons including safety. Even today, they did threat to go on strike because Qantas has partnership with Air Fiji which is their national airline. The reason? Because the Fijian govt. allegedly taking the people's rights away and the crew who work for Air Fiji will be effected too. Therefore, they want Qantas to put pressure on Fijian govt and stop flying there.
The maintenance union blame overseas maintenance such as Germany and Singapore... well I won't even make comments about this crazy accusations. Some crazy unionist maintenance workers using their left hand as part of their work slowing tactics. If QF develops safety issues later it will be because of their obstinate behaviour. :o
The pilots union blame Qantas for planning to employ overseas pilots. The cabin crew union blame Qantas for trying to employ overseas crew.
Meanwhile, Qantas has to compete against overseas airliners and maintain their standards and reputation. Unfortunately, they are losing the competition and the workers are denial and hoping they will continue to get more and more freebees from the company. One day they will wake up but there will be no Qantas.
Sorry it sounds like I am against the unions...NO definetely NO, but there is a limit of what you can ask.

Going back to Qantas safety....I don't think there are serious problems in QF's safety.

Duigan

Post by Duigan »

A Qantas 747 is grounded in Hong Kong

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/brea ... 6104104591

Qantas is already employing a number of New Zealand pilots at substantually less than what Australians are getting flying the same planes