BRU summer 2011: latest news, routes, airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: BRU summer 2011: latest news, routes, airlines

Post by sn26567 »

According to airlineroute.net, the Lufthansa route Stuttgart – Brussels will be operated by a CRJ200 instead of a CRJ700 in summer 2011.
André
ex Sabena #26567

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sn26567 wrote:According to airlineroute.net, the Lufthansa route Stuttgart – Brussels will be operated by a CRJ200 instead of a CRJ700 in summer 2011.
Indeed, it seems Lufthansa (Eurowings) will operate again with the CRJ200 on this route.

Unsuccesfull route or is an frequentie increase expected?

SN1203

Post by SN1203 »

MR_Boeing wrote:Unsuccesfull route or is an frequentie increase expected?
Why would the route be unsuccessful? Maybe they just don't need the additional 20 seats of the CR7? Or maybe they're taking the CR7 away in STR and let EW run the base with CR2s, which would make the single CR7 on the Brussels route a bit of an oddball? Or they can put the CR7 on a route where these 20 additional seats will bring more money compared to the Brussels route?

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

According to Wikipedia (not the most reliable source) Brussels Airlines will start 5 new routes in the spring season.
These include the Club Med destinations which are Lamezia Terme, Marrakech and Agadir.

The other 2 are Istanbul-Ataturk and London City airport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brussels_airport
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brussels_A ... stinations

Stij

Post by Stij »

LCY would be excellent!!! Let's hope they're right!

Cheers,

Stij

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

The STR-BRU route is typically slower in the Summer, it's a business oriented route.

SmilingBoy

Post by SmilingBoy »

Indeed, bring on BRU-LCY. One caution though: The person that added the destination to Wikipedia is based at Suffolk University in the US (according to the IP address). Not sure how close this person is to SN, BRU or LCY!

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

SmilingBoy wrote: One caution though: The person that added the destination to Wikipedia is based at Suffolk University in the US (according to the IP address). Not sure how close this person is to SN, BRU or LCY!
Both LCY and IST would be very logical and justfied destinations for SN.

IST is served 3 x daily by TK, and mostly fully booked.
Furthermore TK and SN are *A.

The list on Wikipedia is very accurate. So let us wait and see.

The two A320's that will join the fleet have to fly on weekdays too...

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

LCY, so at least one Dash8q400NG could be well used ! NCB ;)
Why didn't start Cityjet already with this route or BA if this could be profitable ?
Nice niche market, holiday charters like in sobelair time, didn't get the point why JAF flights couldn't be used
for these destinations or in codeshare. SLR / SN did these many tuimes in history.
Probably JAF and SN aren't so close as SLR/SN :roll: !
CX-B
New types flown 2022.. A339

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Both IST and LCY sound logical, but I wait until an official announcement.

IST sounds logical as I can believe SN want to expand in Turkey and probably want to work with Turkish Airlines. But as long as there are no extra flights between IST and BRU a codeshare between SN and TK would be "useless" as SN will not have enough seats on these TK flights as they are already very full. So SN can (re)start Istanbul and starting with a codeshare agreement with TK.

LCY sounds logicall too, but I wonder if they can use a RJ for this. As I have no idea about the demand for BRU-LCY: is their enough traffic (especially in the holiday months when there is less business traffic) to sustain 2-3 daily RJ85?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

It seems that most of you forgot that former VLM was flying 7 times a day between Brussels Airport and LCY.
They decreased their frequencies and at the end they stopped flying due to no demand and hard competition with the Eurostar.
It seems to me that an RJ85 is way too big to fly this route or they could use BMI again and lease a very small type of aircraft of them like they used to other destinations in the UK.

About IST. Let us say, better later then never. Never understood why SN wasn't flying this route. True, competition against TK wasn't a good idea but still. But wasn't SN not flying for a while to the second airport of IST? I'm sure of it and later Thomas Cook Airlines took over this flight.

An A319 will be the perfect aircraft for this kind of route.
Last edited by Atlantis on 19 Oct 2010, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Atlantis wrote:It seems that most of you forgot that former VLM was flying 7 times a day between Brussels Airport and LCY.
They decreased their frequencies and at the end they stopped flying due to no demand and hard competition with the Eurostar.
It seems to me that an RJ85 is way to big to fly this route or they could use BMI again and lease a very small type of aircraft of them like they used to other destinations in the UK.
That's why I wondered if it is possible to operate RJ's to LCY. VLM operated for a long time on BRU-LCY, during the last season only two daily weekday flights were operated but during S09 the route was stopped. Maybe with the recovering economy there are again more business pax wich could use flights between BRU and LCY, but still a RJ85 seems too big to me. Altough (as I said before) I've no exact idea about the current demand for a BRU-LCY route.
A E145 (or even E135) of BMI Regional can be a solution. It seems BMI is more and more used as a feeder for SN, LH, LX and OS, BD recently expanded their codeshare with SN and started to offer a wide range of connections from Leeds, Edinburgh, East Midlands to Europe trough BRU. So why not a 3th Embraer operating for SN on BRU-LCY.

SmilingBoy

Post by SmilingBoy »

I am not sure the RJs can fly to LCY. STOL is a requirement, which is fulfilled by the Avros and the A318. Otherwise I haven't seen any jets at LCY - but then I haven't been there for a while.

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

ARJ's have been the largest thing flying in and out of LCY until the A318 got there.

LCY should make sense especially as it becomes the high flying business hub in London and directly serves the target area, which neither LHR nor Eurostar do. Via BRU you also allow a lot more destinations East of London.

IST has long been overdue. SN has flown to IST (and CMN) in the early days using the A319 but they weren't able to hold the competition against TK and AT. Hopefully now that SN and TK are in Star, SN can perhaps re-enter the market, work together with TK, and benefit from TK's very large network beyond IST. I don't think a flight to SAW would be meaningful for SN as the connections at IST are really important. Maybe TK would mount that to cater for the point-to-point traffic. If it isn't already the case.

Re-entering the Moroccan market could be a nice thing to do, especially if SN wants to offer the CMN African point to its North American customers. And don't tell me that they already serve Morocco, week-end round trips for Club Med' aren't "serving" a market.

LJ

Post by LJ »

SmilingBoy wrote:I am not sure the RJs can fly to LCY. STOL is a requirement, which is fulfilled by the Avros and the A318. Otherwise I haven't seen any jets at LCY - but then I haven't been there for a while.
Add the E190 and E170 to the list (if I'm not mistaken the E135 is also allowed, but the E145 not).

not)
BrightCedars wrote:LCY should make sense especially as it becomes the high flying business hub in London and directly serves the target area, which neither LHR nor Eurostar do. Via BRU you also allow a lot more destinations East of London.

Depends on how many times SN intends to fly to LCY. In order to compete, SN must offer at least 4 flights per weekday. Anything less will make the Eurostar (and soon DB) a very attractive alternative. Getting these slots at the correct time will be a challenge as both BA and Cityjet are expanding at LCY. Furthermore, there is a reason why there aren't any flights between CDG and LCY

As for getting the connecting traffic. Other airports (AMS, ZRH) can offer much higher frequency from LCY (something which business pax like more than price)

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

I was an advocate of BRU LCY flights operated by b.air until the airline started its own flights to/from LHR.
Now, I'm not so sure anymore, because the Eurostar will still get nearly all of the point-to-point traffic. Eurostar's Saint Pancras Station is still closer to the City than LCY. LCY is still very attractive for people who have no use of the Eurostar or live within the LCY catchment area (which is far away from LHR as we all know). It's probably still worthwhile giving those flights a try and as LJ has said, b.air should be able to offer at least four rotations a day.
I know there is something called aircraft rotation which means that one aircraft does not fly the same route all day long, but assuming b.air would dedicate one of its AvroRJ85 to LCY it could offer four return flights on the following model (slots permitting)
BRU LCY 07.00-07.00 / 10.00-10.00 / 13.15-13.15 / 16.15-16.15 / 19.50-19.50
LCY BRU 07.30-09.30 / 10.30-12.30 / 13.45-15.45 / 16.45-18.45/ 20.20-22.20
But it will probably be difficult to get the right slots. And I think we have to wait for this rumor to be confirmed. But even if it's not confirmed,yet, we can always discuss the subject, of course.
In favor of quality air travel.

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

LJ wrote:Furthermore, there is a reason why there aren't any flights between CDG and LCY
Well that is quite easy to explain I assume: my experience is that you need nearly as long to travel from CDG to Paris Centre than with Eurostar from St Pancras to Gare du Nord ... So the flight just adds to the total travel time ;) . The reason is the poor link from CDG into city centre. As this is somewhat better (but far from perfect ...) in Brussels the situation here is different. If you do live outside Brussels it can be easier to reach BRU in the morning than Gare du Midi. And arriving in LCY instead of St Pancras is not soo bad, both are quite OK (no long ways to the exit) and have good public transport connection with tube and/or DLR (everything is fine, as long as it is not LHR). So if the price would be attractive and the schedule as well, there could indeed be a market for SN flights to LCY. And as LH is a not-so-unimportant player at LCY as well, maybe there is a chance to get the right slots.
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

crlhub

Post by crlhub »

Royal Jordanian will increase twice-weekly Amman–Brussels service to thrice-weekly April 3 aboard an Airbus A319.

atw

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

Estonian Air will add two flights and operate 5 weekly on the TLL-BRU route, with service to be replaced by CRJ900 aircraft.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

sdbelgium wrote:Estonian Air will add two flights and operate 5 weekly on the TLL-BRU route, with service to be replaced by CRJ900 aircraft.
With two extra flights but operated by a CRJ 900 meaning that they decreased their seat capacity to BRU with -52%!!