Bombardier Q400 gets a new life as a freighter

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Bombardier Q400 gets a new life as a freighter

Post by sn26567 »

WEST ATLANTIC, the Anglo-Swedish cargo airline, and Europe’s largest regional freight carrier, is to put into service in September a Bombardier Q400 freighter. The aircraft is planned to be on-line by 1 September, the only one in the world.

Leasing companies and airlines will watch with interest to see if it opens up new markets for the aircraft.

The airline has a fleet of over 50 aircraft including 43 of the smaller BAe ATP-F and has its main bases at Coventry Airport, Gothenburg and Luxembourg.

With some 400 sold as passenger planes, and noted for its high cruising speed, the Q400 (and the de Havilland Dash 8 from which it was developed) is probably the most successful turboprop of all time. The freight conversion has a capacity of 9 metric tons.

Sources: AERBT, www.westair.se, www.atlanticairlines.co.uk
André
ex Sabena #26567

concordino

Re: Bombardier Q400 gets a new life as a freighter

Post by concordino »

the Q400 (and the de Havilland Dash 8 from which it was developed) is probably the most successful turboprop of all time.
I suspect that quite a few manufacturers would dispute that quote. Fokker with F27/50 Beechcraft with 1900 and Antonov for its An24/26 which was built in vast numbers (c3000). All these types have been successful.

I suspect a bit of airline PR but you know what a cynic I am.

C

PS I forgot the DHC-6