Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

flightlover

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by flightlover »

sean1982 wrote:
DeltaWiskey wrote:I believe Y will leave first as she has the most hours (and flies longer routes), probably around mid '19. I also believe the lease contracts of M/N/O will be extended into (to the end of) '19. Probably more on this when the replacement aircraft and schedule is known.
I always thought it was the amount of cycles that was important, not so much the time spent in the air?
I am no mechanic, but i expect It is the 'one of both comes first' rule that counts. With short hops it is about the cycles, with long distances it's about the number of hours flown. I can well imagine both will lead to a different set of prescribed checks to be performed.

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

Bralo20 wrote:
Airbus2016 wrote:Something else,
Does anybody know why the flights to NY are irregular? Its already the second time this week there isn't a flight on flightradar?
Not according to Flightaware: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BEL501

But indeed, there weren't flights on the 16th and yesterday, the 22nd.
maybe this is because of some 330's being send away for their C check/paintjob
Citybird
The flying dream

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

CTBke wrote:
Bralo20 wrote:
Airbus2016 wrote:Something else,
Does anybody know why the flights to NY are irregular? Its already the second time this week there isn't a flight on flightradar?
Not according to Flightaware: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BEL501

But indeed, there weren't flights on the 16th and yesterday, the 22nd.
maybe this is because of some 330's being send away for their C check/paintjob
Indeed cutbacks due to heavy maintenance
Best regards,

Airbuske

RTM

Post by RTM »

flightlover wrote:
sean1982 wrote:I always thought it was the amount of cycles that was important, not so much the time spent in the air?
I am no mechanic, but i expect It is the 'one of both comes first' rule that counts. With short hops it is about the cycles, with long distances it's about the number of hours flown. I can well imagine both will lead to a different set of prescribed checks to be performed.
There are 3 main parameters, hours, cycles and calender time. They all matter. Calender time of coarse being the least of the worries since it is easily predictable, and you know years in advance when for instance a 6Y check is due. hours and cycles are equally important, but what counts the heaviest for each component varies. A landing gear for instance doesn't mind being tucked away for hours on end, but the times it hits the runway is much more important in its lifespan. The airco systems for instance don't care for the landings so much, but the hours of running determines its condition. Airframe structures for instance, both play an important role. Hours because that is the time the airframe is under stress from pressurisation and flexing of normal flight. But the area's where the landing gear attaches also suffer from the landing impacts. For engines, normal operating hours count, but also the take-offs, where it is stressed the most each time.
So basically, it is a balance between the two. And indeed, for most components, or checks, the rule goes, "which ever comes first". But since this was about L/H aircraft, it is not difficult to understand that the hours counter climbs much higher than the cycles counter. 16 or so hours a day with 2 to 3 cycles versus S/H and M/H flying 10-12 hours a day or so with 6-8 cycles, or even more than that. But all parameters matter.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

RTM wrote:
flightlover wrote:
sean1982 wrote:I always thought it was the amount of cycles that was important, not so much the time spent in the air?
There are 3 main parameters, hours, cycles and calender time. They all matter. Calender time of coarse being the least of the worries since it is easily predictable, and you know years in advance when for instance a 6Y check is due. hours and cycles are equally important, but what counts the heaviest for each component varies. A landing gear for instance doesn't mind being tucked away for hours on end, but the times it hits the runway is much more important in its lifespan. The airco systems for instance don't care for the landings so much, but the hours of running determines its condition. Airframe structures for instance, both play an important role. Hours because that is the time the airframe is under stress from pressurisation and flexing of normal flight. But the area's where the landing gear attaches also suffer from the landing impacts. For engines, normal operating hours count, but also the take-offs, where it is stressed the most each time.
So basically, it is a balance between the two. And indeed, for most components, or checks, the rule goes, "which ever comes first". But since this was about L/H aircraft, it is not difficult to understand that the hours counter climbs much higher than the cycles counter. 16 or so hours a day with 2 to 3 cycles versus S/H and M/H flying 10-12 hours a day or so with 6-8 cycles, or even more than that. But all parameters matter.
Cool post! Learned something today :) thanks!!

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Still no news from oo-sfx?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

OO-SFX will be normale back in BRU next week.
Best regards,

Airbuske

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Thx ....
It's a pity I wanna to fly it today I love this plane because it's windows are clean ....
Next time...

lenain258

Post by lenain258 »

Hello friends, does anyone know what happens to OO-SSC? We do not see him flying for some time!

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

lenain258 wrote:Hello friends, does anyone know what happens to OO-SSC? We do not see him flying for some time!
OO-SSC is stored till March 17.
Best regards,

Airbuske

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

airbuske wrote:
lenain258 wrote:Hello friends, does anyone know what happens to OO-SSC? We do not see him flying for some time!
Where? It means that SN doesn't have any aircraft flying in Star Alliance colours these days: is that allowed?
André
ex Sabena #26567

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

sn26567 wrote:
airbuske wrote:
Where? It means that SN doesn't have any aircraft flying in Star Alliance colours these days: is that allowed?

It is stored here in Brussels , it is standing here at the 300 positions.
Best regards,

Airbuske

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

airbuske wrote:
Why?

Konus

Post by Konus »

Has OO-SSB the same fate ? It flew its last flight on 06nov and then left the day after for BUD. Looks like a strange place for maintenance ?

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

SSB is in BUD for heavy maintenance with LHT (I believe 6y/12y/c )

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

Saw OO-SSQ flying over yesterday around 10PM if I remember well, coming in from EMA. Maintenance too?

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

DeltaWiskey wrote:SSB is in BUD for heavy maintenance with LHT (I believe 6y/12y/c )
Sorry but I do not understand 6y/12y/c

RTM

Post by RTM »

nordikcam wrote:
DeltaWiskey wrote:SSB is in BUD for heavy maintenance with LHT (I believe 6y/12y/c )
Sorry but I do not understand 6y/12y/c
6 yearly check
12 yearly check
C-check

RTM

Post by RTM »

HQ_BRU_Lover wrote:Saw OO-SSQ flying over yesterday around 10PM if I remember well, coming in from EMA. Maintenance too?
Paint job. Third one allready this winter... More to follow...

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

airbuske wrote:
sn26567 wrote:
airbuske wrote: OO-SSC is stored till March 17.

It is stored here in Brussels , it is standing here at the 300 positions.

Where exactly are the 300 positions? Is that near the Sattelite building or more towards the LH-Hangar?