Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

OO-ITR

Re: Replacement of Brussels Airlines' Boeing & Avro RJ fleet

Post by OO-ITR »

tolipanebas wrote:2 more A319 have already been secured too for next spring, btw.
c/n 2878 en 2954? ;)

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Not old aircraft, not new either, handed down by Philippine Airlines :
- c/n 2878 : RP-C8600, first flight in August 2006
- c/n 2954 : RP-C8602, first flight in November 2006
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

airazurxtror wrote:Not old aircraft, not new either, handed down by Philippine Airlines :
- c/n 2878 : RP-C8600, first flight in August 2006
- c/n 2954 : RP-C8602, first flight in November 2006
they are currently replacing their A319 and A320 by A321s. so not too old A320s on the market in the future...

BigJets

Post by BigJets »

Let me get this straight:

Third world countries are buying new, more fuel efficient aircraft and getting rid of their older aircraft where they end up in a western world country like....... Belgium?

Brussels Airlines can't even lease new aircraft, much less buy them. They have the oldest A330's on the planet while Philippine Airlines is getting "Brand new ones" in an order of over 100 aircraft. What's wrong with this picture?

Soon new cars will be bought in Africa and second hand cars will then be shipped to Europe and the US.

What a world. :roll:

White Light

Post by White Light »

Isn't it because LH does not want to make any commitment that the decision on SN's fleet reNEWal is regularly postponed ?

b720

Post by b720 »

I would not use "3rd world" terminology in the first place. It is offensive. Developing world is a notch higher.
In aviation, at least, many developing economies are leading the sector in the 21st century. It is their golden era!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Several posts completely unrelated to the topic have been removed. Please stay on topic!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Lysexpat

Post by Lysexpat »

convair wrote:
Pocahontas wrote:I recently heard in the hallway that the Avro will stay Beyond 2016. This is getting ridiculous!
Is there any confirmation of that? It would make sense if growth is faster than the planned replacement.
I don't mind the longer flight times on the slower AVROs, but I hate that bad smell (wet socks) in the cabin which occures frequently and which is more than probably toxic.

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi all,

The monthly orders/deliveries/operations sheet of Airbus now shows a 17th A319 for SN (in addition to the 6 A320, 3 A332 and 5 A333).

So the Autumn aircraft arrived (?) or is at least formally in the hands of SN ...

A side question: how many A320 series of aircraft had Sabena when they went bust? I know they ordered a total of 34 A319 (26), A320 (5) and A321 (3), but they were not yet delivered all at the time Sabena went bankrupt. Soon will come the moment Brussels will have more, no?

Cheers,
Danny

teach

Post by teach »

DannyVDB wrote:A side question: how many A320 series of aircraft had Sabena when they went bust?
24: 15 A319s, 6 A320s and 3 A321s.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

When will arrive SSH ? Which aircraft will be the next one A319 and A320 ? Any news about the next one A330 ? ;)

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

BigJets wrote:Let me get this straight:

Third world countries are buying new, more fuel efficient aircraft and getting rid of their older aircraft where they end up in a western world country like....... Belgium?

Brussels Airlines can't even lease new aircraft, much less buy them. They have the oldest A330's on the planet while Philippine Airlines is getting "Brand new ones" in an order of over 100 aircraft. What's wrong with this picture?

Soon new cars will be bought in Africa and second hand cars will then be shipped to Europe and the US.

What a world. :roll:
How can Rwandair acquire brand new 737's and order 787's, how can Biman acquire brand new 77W's while SN has to lease second hand A32X's and ancient A330's?

The answer is pretty obvious, no?

These companies hold a near monopoly at their respective home bases and ore often supporter by local governments. At Europe, not only is state aid forbidden to not disrupt the free market, you also have open skies where every airline from any country can fly to every airport in any European country it wants. The market is way more competitive and small legacy carriers are due to disappear if no solution is offered. The European (and US) legacy carriers try to keep their piece of the pie by consolidation. The LH group, AIG, AFKLM all revolve around their respective alliances (Star, Oneworld and Skyteam) and you see roughly the same accros the pond: UA/CO, DL/NW and AA/US.

Another issue is the fact that these airlines are de facto low cost companies with a much lower cost structure then their European competitors. Let alone labour costs are way lower then here, and then we don't even speak of taxes, fees, ...

When Sabena went belly up, the void it has left was quickly filled by neighbouring countries' airlines. Since it's revival, SN Brussels Airlines and Brussels Airlines are struggling to retake a position in a market they didn't know before. For the first times since the very beginning of Belgian aviation, they had to make it with what their customers pay without the state coming to aid. In a highly competitive market where they are only a small player.

convair

Post by convair »

SSH has arrived at BRU shortly before noon this morning,from Ostrava (FR24). I assume it will enter commercial service in a week or so.

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

convair wrote:SSH has arrived at BRU shortly before noon this morning,from Ostrava (FR24). I assume it will enter commercial service in a week or so.
any idea when the phase out of the AVRO RJ100s will start? I thought it was planned that 3 of them will be phased out this winter season...

By the way SSH is coming from Philippine Airlines. I think they have 2 or 3 more A319s on storage.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

For sure there are more A319's and A320's coming in the next years. SN commented at the CAPA World Aviation Summit last week in Antwerp that they plan to have a fleet of 30-35 A319/A320's (besides 10 A330's and 5 to 10 wet leased E145/Q400's) for a fleet of about 50 aircraft. It was also said they plan to go to 180 seats in the A320 from 2016 (new cabin designs zuch as from Zodiac are currently studied allowing airlines to add more seats without really comprimising on pax comfort, I assume SN or maybe the whole LH Group will introduce interiors like that to increase the efficiency of their A32S fleet?). They also said they are studying higher density configurations for the A319.

Source is CAPA, but without CAPA Membership you can't access these pages (from 24 November) anymore:
http://centreforaviation.com/news/
See the full quotes here:
http://luchtzak.be/forums/viewtopic.php ... 58#p309658

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Its strange not to see A321s in that planning. There are certainly routes (like TLV) where an A321 would be very useful. Sabena itself had three of them, if my memory serves me well.
André
ex Sabena #26567

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

sn26567 wrote:Its strange not to see A321s in that planning. There are certainly routes (like TLV) where an A321 would be very useful. Sabena itself had three of them, if my memory serves me well.
I think it is very difficult to get some second hand A321s. There almost none on the market. But I'm sure SN is studying the A321 and not only to serve TLV :-)

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Actually, in the last rumour I heard that SN was looking for 2 A321 for the TLV flight and Dakar. However as the leasing cost is much higher than a A320, I don't see it coming in the near futur.

crew1990

Replacement of Brussels Airlines' Boeing & Avro RJ fleet

Post by crew1990 »

It looks like the OO-SSP will leave the fleet, on the b.there of this month there is only 16 A319, anyone information?