Poll: checked-in luggage policy

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

A minimum of 1 piece checked-in luggage free of charge ?

I agree
71%
I disagree
24%
I don't care
5%

Total votes: 21

luchtzak

Poll: checked-in luggage policy

Post by luchtzak »

Test Aankoop / Test Achat recently issued a press statement that at least 1 piece of checked-in luggage should be free of charge as it's common to have luggage with you when you travel.

http://www.test-aankoop.be/ivo-mechels- ... 506273.htm

fcw

Re: Poll: checked-in luggage policy

Post by fcw »

For free doesn't exist!
It would be included in the ticket price, which would then be higher.
Do you want to pay for 1 bag even if you don't have one???
On the other hand taxes and fuel surcharges should be included, as you can't fly without paying them!

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

Am I missing something or it is currently the case with the vast majority of airlines around the world, except for a few LCCs and some US majors who needed to remove the service from the ticket price?

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

an argument pro 1 free/included luggage: overhead bins !!!

fcw

Post by fcw »

BrightCedars wrote:Am I missing something or it is currently the case with the vast majority of airlines around the world, except for a few LCCs and some US majors who needed to remove the service from the ticket price?
You are indeed missing something!
Transport of luguage does cost money. You have two choices: divide the cost amongst all pax and include it in the ticket price, luguage or not,
OR let the ones who have luguage pay for it.
The choice is yours.

gumblebee

Post by gumblebee »

I personally feel airlines should be required to advertise prices for standard, easy to compare products, including the same "options" for every airline. This would provide much better consumer protection, avoid nasty surprises at the airport etc.

Airlines who want to give passengers a better deal can provide passengers with the option to DEselect any unneeded options later on in the booking process, or add extra options.
A few such options might be airport check-in, checked baggage, carry -on baggage, insurance/compensation in case of delays or cancelled flights, use of onboard toilets etc.

While I'm at it, I'd love to be able to pay a (moderate) fee (say 15% of the ticket price or so) to have first call at getting any free seats left next to me (to be refunded pro-rata when a free seat is impossible on any legs of the ticket). Shouldn't be too difficult to organise; the airline could even double dip in case of 2 people in a row of 3.