Sky Tech Mi-26 at Bruges

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

regi

Sky Tech Mi-26 at Bruges

Post by regi »

I saw accidentally the 3 choppers standing in line at a company in the old Bruges harbour.
Seems that they are here already some time !
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Skytech- ... 95e42fa5c1

Does anybody has news about them ?
Despite their dismantled state it doesn't seem that they are intended to be scrapped. The engines are removed , but the central gearbox is still visible.
For all those interested, it is at the dead end street Krakeleweg, on your left hand sight.

I must say, even from the street side, they still look impressive.

regi

Re: Sky Tech Mi-26 at Bruges

Post by regi »

checked this website and it seems that I don't tell something new. Sorry, should have checked before. :oops:

But as an addition to what has been reported the last years on this site, I can confirm that the 3 choppers are still standing at the same place.

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

Regi,
The choppers are even visible on Google Maps . (Not sure about the date Google placed this image)
http://maps.google.be/maps?hl=nl&q=krak ... CBcQ8gEwAA
But,since you had a visual on them, they are still there..
Impressive machines indeed.
Grtz
Flyair10

regi

Post by regi »

great find !
I think that the new pictures from Bruges are about 1 year old.
The roadworks at St-Pieterskaai had finished already but the works at Scheepsdalebrug hadn't started yet.
It has been taken NOT on a Sunday because there are cars on the parkinglot of the Lidl and other super markets.
I think somewhere during summer holiday - Reason: no cars on the parking lot of schools. See OLVA at Collegestraat: completely empty. Same with St Lodewijks and Groene Poort schools. SASK in Veltemweg has some cars on the primary school parking lot but nothing on the high school parking. That are cars from parents who come to bring / pick up their children from summer activity at this school.
You hardly see any cars on the parking lot of large factories of DANA and Bombardier. The new parking lot at DANA is still under construction.The parking lot at the back side of the railway station is half full. So, no working day.
My guess is beginning of August, probably on a Saturday morning. ( long shadows from the east and probably just around 9AM because there are no visitors yet at the container park that opens at 9AM ) August because our cars stand in front of my house, which were parked inside during our holiday in July.
I am a real Google Earth addict and was one of the first who saw the logo of Lufthansa in the middle of nowhere in the Horn of Africa. ( I think the first one was the one who created that logo in that field , north of Massawa :) )

http://www.capitaleritrea.com/story/luf ... te-picture

Antonov_124

Post by Antonov_124 »

are they still there? Would like to take a look. Thanks

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

regi wrote: My guess is beginning of August, probably on a Saturday morning. ( long shadows from the east and probably just around 9AM because there are no visitors yet at the container park that opens at 9AM )
Regi, you should become a private-detective ;) According to Google Earth, the imagery date is July 2009. So maybe the last Saturday of that month (the 25th) ? No special festival or something at that day?

regi

Post by regi »

andorra-airport wrote:
regi wrote: My guess is beginning of August, probably on a Saturday morning. ( long shadows from the east and probably just around 9AM because there are no visitors yet at the container park that opens at 9AM )
Regi, you should become a private-detective ;) According to Google Earth, the imagery date is July 2009. So maybe the last Saturday of that month (the 25th) ? No special festival or something at that day?
:( I guessed 1 week wrong.
But there is still something wrong about our 3 cars, my wife's is missing. It should have been than one of the last days of July.

javelin

Post by javelin »

I was there recently with a friend by car since I've heard the choppers are abandoned but three angry guys appeared and later explained that the helicopters now belong to the police itself and you can have serious problems when they see you there. We were told that two guys are still in prison (they also took some stuff from the inside). But the choppers are really nice.

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

javelin wrote:I was there recently with a friend by car since I've heard the choppers are abandoned but three angry guys appeared and later explained that the helicopters now belong to the police itself and you can have serious problems when they see you there. We were told that two guys are still in prison (they also took some stuff from the inside). But the choppers are really nice.
Two guys are in prison for looking at and stealing from some derelict helicopters??? This in a country where murderers are allowed to walk around free...

regi

Post by regi »

I was there last week and a guy was parked in a BMW 3 clearly watching us, wheile we were admiring the Mi-2, still in the same condition as I saw them some months ago. With the remark above in mind, it could be a federal police guy in civilian.
Or just the opposite...
This dead end part of the port of Bruges houses some strange businesses. Some have put cut up container plates as fences, so you can't see what happens behind it.
At the far end is a former scrap yard where they collect second hand earth moving equipment such as shovels and bulldozers to ship them to Africa.
All in all, not a place to hang out after dark.

regi

Post by regi »

I was there again today to check out the choppers, and yep , they are still there.
Nobody mentioned yet the yellow RAF rescue chopper standing next the fence: similar aircraft:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... -XJ729.jpg

in a terrible and unrepairable state by the way.

earthman

Post by earthman »

Perhaps you should put up a sign there that says 'Abandon all hope ye who enter here'.

regi

Post by regi »

earthman wrote:Perhaps you should put up a sign there that says 'Abandon all hope ye who enter here'.
seriously: it is an area where you don't step out of your car to have an interesting look around.
The neighbour is a stone/concrete shredder plant with its own container services. I was looking at the enourmous shredders in full action. Within 5 seconds a labourer jumped from the handler and aggresively came to my car, showing the middle finger. I just drove off. Background: in those shredder plants they crunch also the eternite asbest corrugated roof plates, and mix it between the ruble if it is for a landfil or what. No witnesses allowed 8-)

stratofreighter

Post by stratofreighter »

Recent photos of the Whirlwind in question: http://forum.scramble.nl/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=73815 :idea:

regi

Post by regi »

stratofreighter wrote:Recent photos of the Whirlwind in question: http://forum.scramble.nl/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=73815 :idea:
That is the one ! Well done mate !
Yes, the state of the chopper is really dreadful. Sad.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The three helicopters (purchased at 2 million euros a piece) have just been sold for 5,000 euros each by a Bruges bailiff.
André
ex Sabena #26567

stratofreighter

sn26567 wrote:The three helicopters (purchased at 2 million euros a piece) have just been sold for 5,000 euros each by a Bruges bailiff.
Only five grand a piece for a giant Mil Mi-26.
I just hope they weren't sold to a breakers yard/scrapper... :(

AF036

Post by AF036 »

stratofreighter wrote: Only five grand a piece for a giant Mil Mi-26.
I just hope they weren't sold to a breakers yard/scrapper... :(
Yeah, let's hope at least one will find it's new home in a museum!
How many Mi-26 are visible in "western world" museums?

stratofreighter

Whirlwind XM660 was spotted on Dutch motorway A1 near Amersfoort today, see
http://forum.scramble.nl/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=81567 for pictures... :idea:

regi

Post by regi »

the transport probably costs more than the scrap metal. But this remark is so anti-aviation :x