Afriqiyah Airways Airbus A330 crashes in Tripoli, Libya

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

andorra-airport

Re: Crash in Tripolis, Libya => Airbus A330 of Afriqiyah Air

Post by andorra-airport »

YYZ727 wrote:VRT radio 1 just reported that the plane was supposed to continue its flight to London & BRU after a stop in Tripoli (don(t know if this is correct, i never saw an Afriqiyah 330 at BRU). It is assumed that Belgians were aboard....
8U 924 Afriqiyah Airways Sched. 11:50 AM Actual 1:55 PM ~ Scheduled 320

Not a 330.......

cnc

Post by cnc »

routing is JNB-TIP-LGW while 8U-913 is LGW-TIP-JNB if i'm correct

Propwash

Post by Propwash »

RTL Nieuws: 62 Dutch citizens lost their lives.

janhuub

Post by janhuub »

5A-ONG

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

YYZ727 wrote:VRT radio 1 just reported that the plane was supposed to continue its flight to London & BRU after a stop in Tripoli (don(t know if this is correct, i never saw an Afriqiyah 330 at BRU). It is assumed that Belgians were aboard....
I think you misunderstood:

There were 62* Dutch people on board, who would come to Brussels via London Gatwick, not the a/c itself.

*Source HLN.be
Tot hier en verder

Airbus A330

Post by Airbus A330 »

janhuub wrote:5A-ONG
Thank you. ;)

fretn

Post by fretn »

Zorba wrote:
I think you misunderstood:

There were 62* Dutch people on board, who would come to Brussels via London Gatwick, not the a/c itself.

*Source HLN.be
What a tragedy for the dutch people...

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

According to Flightlevel, plane had 1600hr and 420 cycles.
Airbus A330 wrote:@ YYZ727 : Afriqiyah already deployed twice one of their A330 to BRU. The first time, a Monday in November (if I remember correctly) and the second time 2-3 weeks ago. ;)
5A-ONH visited us on 08MAR10, 5A-ONG (plane involved in crash) on 21APR10.

regi

Post by regi »

It will be very busy at the phone at De Vries Reizen ( NL) , who does the sales of the Afriqiyah tickets in the Netherlands.
They did also Biman before and Mahan Airlines.

Jipe

Post by Jipe »

I discussed today with some peoples from Afriqiyah who says me there were 34 pax in the 330 who had as final destination BRU/EBBR.

andorra-airport

Jipe wrote:I discussed today with some peoples from Afriqiyah who says me there were 34 pax in the 330 who had as final destination BRU/EBBR.
Seven passengers were booked to connect to London Gatwick Airport, 32 to Brussels, 42 to Dusseldorf in Germany, and one to Charles de Gaulle in Paris. (BBC)

No Afriqiyah flight to AMS today (12 may) , so I guess BRU and DUS were used instead.

andorra-airport

Dutch minister for foreign affairs, Maxime Verhagen, said that the number of 61 Dutch people who died in the crash, was based on tour-operaters information. So : tour-group people only.... Probably (I hope not) more dutch people onboard...

The boy who survived, only said " Holland, Holland" . But for now, nobody knows his nationality.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

andorra-airport wrote:Dutch minister for foreign affairs, Maxime Verhagen, said that the number of 61 Dutch people who died in the crash, was based on tour-operaters information. So : tour-group people only.... Probably (I hope not) more dutch people onboard...

The boy who survived, only said " Holland, Holland" . But for now, nobody knows his nationality.
Afriqiyah Airways recently confirmed that 62 dutch people were onboard. 61 died and 1 survived said Afriqiyah. So I suppose the numbers are correct as Afriqiyah normally checked the passengers list.

andorra-airport

So strange, those crashes with "1 child survivor" , here is my list

29 January 1985; Galaxy Airlines Lockheed Electra; near Reno, NV. The sole survivor was George Lamson, a 17-year old boy.

16 August 1987; Northwest MD82; Flight 255; Detroit, USA, The sole survivor was Cecilia Cichan, a four-year old girl.

17 March 1995; Intercontinental Colombia DC9-10; South of Cartegena, Colombia. The sole survivor was Erika Delgado, a nine-year old girl.

3 September 1997; Vietnam Airlines Tu-134B; Flight 815; Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The lone survivor was a small child, reportedly a one-year-old boy.

8 July 2003; Sudan Airways 737-200C; near Port Sudan, Sudan. The sole survivor was a three-year old boy.

30 June 2009; Yemenia Airlines; A310-300; Flight 626; near Moroni, Comoros Islands. One passenger, a twelve-year-old girl named Bahia Bakari, was rescued about 10 hours after the crash, and is the sole survivor of this plane crash.

Today (12 may 2010) , 1 boy, 10 years old.

And what about this:

24 December 1971; LANSA Lockheed L-188 Electra; Flight 508; en route Lima, Peru to Pucallpa, Peru.

The sole survivor was a 17-year-old girl, Juliane Koepcke, who remained strapped in her seat and fell about 10,000 feet (3 km) into the jungle.(!!!) She then made her way through the jungle for about 10 days before being rescued (!!!)

andorra-airport

MR_Boeing wrote: Afriqiyah Airways recently confirmed that 62 dutch people were onboard. 61 died and 1 survived said Afriqiyah. So I suppose the numbers are correct as Afriqiyah normally checked the passengers list.
I hope so. They say also 13 people from Libya, 2 German, 1 Fillipine, 1 from Zimbabwe, 4 South African, 1 woman from Ireland, and 1 woman from France.

michaelnewport

Post by michaelnewport »

ash cloud ???

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

michaelnewport wrote:ash cloud ???
The KMI in Belgium said that there wasn't a ash cloud above Tripoli (only above France and the Azores), but they said there was a lot of fog in the area at the time of the accident.

galaxy

Post by galaxy »

The jet stream was carrying the ash southward across the Atlantic and curving across parts of Spain into North Africa.

Ash cloud concentration information showed there was some ash scattered across parts of northern Africa between the surface and 20,000 feet.

"If part of the ash cloud was over the Libyan air space, it could have affected the instrumentation and engines during its descent into Tripoli" said AccuWeather.com Expert senior meteorologist Henry Marguisity
http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/s ... thicke.asp